Video stuttering with HD channels

Madnut

Hello All,

I'm seeking for a bit of help with my installation : Core 2 Duo 6420, 2Go Ram, 8600GT graphics card, Technotrend S3200 HDTV DVBS, latest DVBViewer, latest Cyberlink PowerDvd 7.3, lastest CoreAvc 1.6 and latest Nvidia graphics drivers. The whole lot plugged into a wonderful PANASONIC TX-32LXD71F LCD screen.

I have been searching the forum for a while now and I'm sure I have read several posts where people have the same problem as me. The trouble is my German is crap and I can't understand the answers.

Ever since the beginning (a year now) I have had trouble with the HD channels, I get picture and sound with no problem, but whatever filter/video renderer I try the picture becomes jerky and starts juddering after a few minutes. I did manage to get the system running smoothly for a few months by using the Core AVC H.264 1.5 codec and the Overlay renderer. I recently bought a PC Blu-Ray player which meant that i needed to update PowerDvD which I did as well as Nero 8. I since noticed that the HD channels had become juddery again. I retro installed the older versions of Nero and PowerDvd, but the problem is still there. I have tried all the different combinations of renders "unchanged, VMR7, VMR9, overlay as well as Vista Enhanced. and H.264 filters, coreAvc 1.5, 1.6, FFDShow and Cyberlink. The only combination that gives me satisfaction is the Vista encanced renderer with Cyberlink H.264. The picture is sharp and stable but I now have a new problem which is in full screen mode I can't get the picture the resize properly leaving me with an annoying black frame around the picture. (The Pan & Scan and stretch/resize option doesn't seem to work in this mode).

I would be grateful if any of you could give me some help, or tell me if you have similar problems with Vista.

Please check the following: Open PowerDVD and go into the "Video" tab. Can you activate "Hardware Acceleration (nVidia Pure Video)"?

Next check the cpu load when you're watching a HDTV channel: Is it below 10% (most of the time, I know that it goes up and down a little bit) as it should be? Or is it way higher, for instance 30 to 40%?

And last thing: When you watch an HDTV channel with DVBViewer click "View" --> "Filters" --> "VMR9 Video Renderer" (or whatever renderer you use). Now what are the average frames per second after a few minutes? It should be near 50fps (I have 49,xx after a few minutes so it will never really reach the 50 ^^). If you're below 25 or even below 20fps, then this is bad.

Please report back when you've done the testing. :bye:

Please check the following: Open PowerDVD and go into the "Video" tab. Can you activate "Hardware Acceleration (nVidia Pure Video)"?

Next check the cpu load when you're watching a HDTV channel: Is it below 10% (most of the time, I know that it goes up and down a little bit) as it should be? Or is it way higher, for instance 30 to 40%?

And last thing: When you watch an HDTV channel with DVBViewer click "View" --> "Filters" --> "VMR9 Video Renderer" (or whatever renderer you use). Now what are the average frames per second after a few minutes? It should be near 50fps (I have 49,xx after a few minutes so it will never really reach the 50 ^^). If you're below 25 or even below 20fps, then this is bad.

Please report back when you've done the testing. ;)

Hi there and thanks for your help, i've just been trying all the different filters/renders/settings on DVBViewer, I get the best results for HD channels with the EVR (vista enhanced renderer) and cyberlink H.264 codec, please see enclosed screen shot, as you say after a few minutes I get 47-50 frames per second and everything is stable it's the only renderer that lets the Nvidia pure video technology function properly (CPU about 10%). EVR is definitely the best but I have trouble getting the picture to fill the whole screen whilst watching a non HD channel, please see the enclosed screen shot, as you can see I get a black band round the screen. I can correct this by changing the renderer parameters and stretching the picture, but the problem then is when i change channel or quit DVBViewer then the settings are lost. Again please see screen shot. With VMR 9 the picture is bad and CPU load upto 65-70%, only 25 fps and stuttering picture. with Overlay picture is not bad but not as good as EVR, I have no way of telling how many fps this setting uses but after a few minutes it starts to loose fluidity and stutters.

So my wish is to use EVR which is great but I need to find a way to keep the full screen settings, if you have any ideas. Thanks :-)

Edited by Madnut

You can put your screenshot here: www.imagebam.com or www.imageshack.us

Maybe I'll understand once I see it. I never used the vista renderer because it tends to be unstable on my mashine. I always believed it is named after the operating system, isn't it? So one should use it only with Windows Vista...maybe ^^.

The problem with all the other renderers not making use of the video accelleration of your graphic card was exactly my problem, but I solved it. I bought the latest premium version of PowerDVD. First change I noticed: Directly in PowerDVD I could flag the option "Use Hardware Accelleration (nVidia Pure Video)". That was not possible with the older PowerDVD version that I got together with my tv-card.

So this is something you should check with your software-DVD-player, weather you can flag this option or not. If not I would suggest you buying a newer version of this software.

Since I upgraded my software-DVD-player I can use any renderer and always get 50fps.

I know it's far from being a perfect solution because PowerDVD is not for free, but it's the only I know of. Or maybe you should write a nice letter to the company of your TV-card and demand an updated software. In my case it is obviously the fault of TechnoTrend, they're shiping old software with their card. ;)

Edited by Salah-ad Din
You can put your screenshot here: www.imagebam.com or www.imageshack.us

Maybe I'll understand once I see it. I never used the vista renderer because it tends to be unstable on my mashine. I always believed it is named after the operating system, isn't it? So one should use it only with Windows Vista...maybe ^^.

The problem with all the other renderers not making use of the video accelleration of your graphic card was exactly my problem, but I solved it. I bought the latest premium version of PowerDVD. First change I noticed: Directly in PowerDVD I could flag the option "Use Hardware Accelleration (nVidia Pure Video)". That was not possible with the older PowerDVD version that I got together with my tv-card.

So this is something you should check with your software-DVD-player, weather you can flag this option or not. If not I would suggest you buying a newer version of this software.

Since I upgraded my software-DVD-player I can use any renderer and always get 50fps.

I know it's far from being a perfect solution because PowerDVD is not for free, but it's the only I know of. Or maybe you should write a nice letter to the company of your TV-card and demand an updated software. In my case it is obviously the fault of TechnoTrend, they're shiping old software with their card. :idiot:

Thanks for your help, after several hours of research and testing, I am sticking with Overlay renderer which is the smoothest on SD channels, when I switch to HD channels I use the EVR renderer, it's a bit annoying to have to change every time, but until this bug is fixed I don't have the choice.