Information request about DVBViewer

galmok

Well, I am considering buying DVBViewer but there are questions that I would like to have answered:

1. Is there a delay when enabling time-shift or record? The problem with the dvb usb card I have produces a huge delay (ProgDVB does not).

2. Is the scheduled recordings possible and if so, does DVBViewer have to be running all the time or does it have a helper program (or use windows scheduler) to start up?

3. Is the EPG using its own window or will it overlay the tv image or is it configurable?

4. Does it have a "tv" mode, in that anything you click on (or preferably use remote control) will not require me to turn on my monitor, use the mouse to close a window or similar stuff?

5. When run on a pc without internet connection, will it try to phone home all the time, making it a disabling itself and hence of little value?

6. Is it a .NET program? (they often start slowly on my system and hence I like to avoid them)

I probably have more questions later, but I hope to have these ones answered first. :-)

Well, I am considering buying DVBViewer but there are questions that I would like to have answered:

1. Is there a delay when enabling time-shift or record? The problem with the dvb usb card I have produces a huge delay (ProgDVB does not).

2. Is the scheduled recordings possible and if so, does DVBViewer have to be running all the time or does it have a helper program (or use windows scheduler) to start up?

3. Is the EPG using its own window or will it overlay the tv image or is it configurable?

4. Does it have a "tv" mode, in that anything you click on (or preferably use remote control) will not require me to turn on my monitor, use the mouse to close a window or similar stuff?

5. When run on a pc without internet connection, will it try to phone home all the time, making it a disabling itself and hence of little value?

6. Is it a .NET program? (they often start slowly on my system and hence I like to avoid them)

I probably have more questions later, but I hope to have these ones answered first. :-)

1. When recording, i don't think, maybe half a second at the start, but it will depend on the power of your system.// Timeshift isn't delay by definition?

2. All those things are posible, and I've used them.

3. You can have it in a separate window, and overlay automatic up to 10 seconds after tuning a new channel, and more on the OSD feature.

4. I think with the OSD you can do everithing with the remote, but I don't use it, so dont realy know.

5. It isnt realplayer, don't worry.

6. Don't know, it takes on my computer a bit to start, about 20secs, but then runs smoothly.

Hope it helps.

6. no .net or other fancy named hype involved. just plain win32 code :bye:

Thanks. Thats a relief, really.

And thanks to you as well, PARIX, for you answers. Also much appreciated.

1. When recording, i don't think, maybe half a second at the start, but it will depend on the power of your system.// Timeshift isn't delay by definition?

2. All those things are posible, and I've used them.

3. You can have it in a separate window, and overlay automatic up to 10 seconds after tuning a new channel, and more on the OSD feature.

4. I think with the OSD you can do everithing with the remote, but I don't use it, so dont realy know.

5. It isnt realplayer, don't worry.

6. Don't know, it takes on my computer a bit to start, about 20secs, but then runs smoothly.

Hope it helps.

Well, you answer to point 5 was wrong. I just got a prompt during watching TV that wants me to input username and password and it stops the TV until I do.

Guess I have to settle for ProgDVB then. At least it doesn't nag.

I just got a prompt during watching TV that wants me to input username and password and it stops the TV until I do.

With a legal version and properly installed it doesn't happen.

With a legal version and properly installed it doesn't happen.

Well, it was probably the "properly installed" problem. The setup wizard froze when I clicked the "Scan" button and I had to kill the wizard.

I think it is too late for that because I made a complete uninstall and had the install directory deleted. The following installation worked fine. Not sure what went wrong the first time. :-/

I am currently trying to figure out how to use DVBViewer. So far, it is an extremely difficult program to figure out, much more difficult than ProgDVB and the application that comes with the tuner. I will probably have a few feature requests and questions on how to use it but for now I'll try to manage on my own.

The following installation worked fine. Not sure what went wrong the first time. :-/
If it now works fine it ok.

I am currently trying to figure out how to use DVBViewer. So far, it is an extremely difficult program to figure out, much more difficult than ProgDVB and the application that comes with the tuner.
In the most instances you only need the settings which are available in the wizard.

I will probably have a few feature requests and questions on how to use it but for now I'll try to manage on my own.
Much things are possible with the DVBViewer but you have to know how :bye: