"Num lock" for remote controls?

galmok

I have a remote control that came with my dvb-t usb dongle but it lacks the 4 colored buttons and directional controls. However, I don't use the digits 0 to 9 that much and am considering ditching them in favour of some navigation control for the OSD. However, once in a while it would be nice to have the option to let the digits be digits (not translate to up, down, left, right and so on) for teletext and direct channel selection.

So my question: Is there some form of number lock for remote controls (with visual feedback when state is switched)? If not, can it be added by me directly or does it need a change in DVBViewer itself?

you will have to use / build an external application which sends different commands to DVBViewer. DVBViewer itself can only add one command to a button. You may want to try girder or eventghost, but I don't know if they allow you to do, what you want to do... you could write your own application that controls DVBViewer via the COM Interface or command line commands and reacts on the keypresses on your remote.

Hmm seems somewhat difficult. :-P

It is the driver AF15BDA.SYS that handles the remote control codes and that file uses the file AF15IRTBL.BIN to configure the translation table. I hope I can "just" modify that file instead to have the remote send different windows codes. This gets me part of the way but will not help with the "num-lock" feature, but maybe a filterdriver would be easier to write when the keyboard codes sent by the remote are unique.

I have requested information about how to construct a new AF15IRTBL.BIN file from the vendor, but I am not optimistic about receiving it. I fear I have to guess the file structure... :-/

you could always go the easy way and get a better remote :D

Now where is the fun in that? ;-)

But true, I have considered buying a new remote but I would have to be sure it will work with DVBViewer or it will be in vain. Also, I am not willing to pay a lot for a new remote (got too many remotes already).