Problems with new setup

AdamSlim

Hi there,

Just got a new computer, and a Pinnacle 310i DVB-T card. Pinnacle claim that the drivers are BDA.

DVBViewer happily sees the card, but when I scan for channels it finds none. The Pinnacle software finds them all and works, but it is really terrible software so I'd like to use DVBViewer :bye:

Specifically, the scan window shows the hardware card in the 'current device' section and shows some signal strength when scanning, but finds no channels. I know it can't be an aerial issue as the Pinnacle software works. The scan window options are:

Target root: blank

Transponder list: Terr. EUR

Reception type: Terrestric

Group: A

I'm scanning the range 50k-858k. I am in the UK, in London.

I have completely reinstalled DVBViewer (in the process going from 3910 to 3911), just in case - same

Here's the report from the diagnostic tool: (extract)

---------------

System:

---------------

DVBViewer Version: 3.9.1.1

DVBViewer Size: 1,452

DVBServer Version: 3.9.1.0

DVBSource Path: E:\Program Files\DVBViewer\Filters\PushSource.ax

DVBSource Version: 2.9.1.1

DirectX: 9.0c

Memory: 2047 MB

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

CPU Speed: 2671 Mhz

CPU Count: 2

Videocard: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Version: 6.14.11.6375

Cheers in advance!

Adam

try in options/hardware changing new tunigmethod and/or stop stream while tuning.

Nope, doesn't help. I have tried a wide range of all possible options for all checkboxes on that settings window, and all with the same result (although one or two seem to crash DVBViewer rather badly - can't even end the task, have to restart computer)

Thanks for your help so quickly :bye:

Nope, doesn't help. I have tried a wide range of all possible options for all checkboxes on that settings window, and all with the same result (although one or two seem to crash DVBViewer rather badly - can't even end the task, have to restart computer)

Thanks for your help so quickly :bye:

Anything? :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

No Pinnacle card I've tried has had offset auto-lock enabled. For some of them there are registry overrides to enable the +/-167kHz auto-lock range - you'd probably need to run Strings.exe on the driver file to discover what they are (if they exist) because they're usually undocumented.

No Pinnacle card I've tried has had offset auto-lock enabled. For some of them there are registry overrides to enable the +/-167kHz auto-lock range - you'd probably need to run Strings.exe on the driver file to discover what they are (if they exist) because they're usually undocumented.

OK I kinda understand the problem, but not the solution - what would I need to look for in the driver file? (and what to replace it with?)

Cheers

Run this (save it to your desktop first) and let it do a scan (Option 1):

http://www.quantexzone.com/files/scbda/Sca...nnelsBDA_UK.exe

Once it's finished scroll down to the end of the ScanChannelsBDA.log file that it creates and you will see a summary table. These are the frequencies that you need to use.

So go to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVBViewer Pro\Transponders

And edit Europe.ini changing those frequencies for the nearest one. e.g. if ScanChannelsBDA.log lists something on 537834kHz, edit

20=538000,8

to

20=537834,8

in Europe.ini

Perhaps the developers of DVBViewer could implement offset search in DVBViewer? Sure some manufacturers such as Hauppauge have it enabled in the drivers but a lot of manufacturers don't. Certainly the Philips 716x reference design boards don't do it.

Edited by CX23882-19
  • 2 months later...
Run this (save it to your desktop first) and let it do a scan (Option 1):

http://www.quantexzone.com/files/scbda/Sca...nnelsBDA_UK.exe

Once it's finished scroll down to the end of the ScanChannelsBDA.log file that it creates and you will see a summary table. These are the frequencies that you need to use.

So go to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVBViewer Pro\Transponders

And edit Europe.ini changing those frequencies for the nearest one. e.g. if ScanChannelsBDA.log lists something on 537834kHz, edit

20=538000,8

to

20=537834,8

in Europe.ini

Perhaps the developers of DVBViewer could implement offset search in DVBViewer? Sure some manufacturers such as Hauppauge have it enabled in the drivers but a lot of manufacturers don't. Certainly the Philips 716x reference design boards don't do it.

Cool - that has given me reception on all channels. There's still some issues on some channels, but that's probably (?) a different issue - I'll raise it separately.

Thanks! :wacko:

Edited by AdamSlim
  • 4 weeks later...
Cool - that has given me reception on all channels. There's still some issues on some channels, but that's probably (?) a different issue - I'll raise it separately.

Thanks! :bye:

Although I have an old Hauppauge card (NOVA PCI), I used and adapted the advice given above. This prompts me to make two observations:

First that the program http://www.quantexzone.com/files/scbda/Sca...nnelsBDA_UK.exe is fantastic in collecting all the frequencies obtainable by your card, and also identifies the transmitter (Crystal Palace for London): make sure you wait until it finishes, as it takes quite a time, and once done, all you need is contained in the Summary, at the end of the ScanChannelsBDA.log. Here is the actual text from my scan:

Summary of frequencies

======================

Frequency=306000kHz Strength=100 Quality=100%

Frequency=462000kHz Strength=100 Quality=100%

Frequency=481834kHz Strength=100 Quality=100%

Frequency=505834kHz Strength=100 Quality=100%

Frequency=529834kHz Strength=100 Quality=100%

Frequency=537834kHz Strength=100 Quality=100%

Frequency=561834kHz Strength=100 Quality=100%

Frequency=578166kHz Strength=100 Quality=100%

The advice to edit the Europe.ini file can be refined a little, to the extent that you actually don't need to adapt the existing entries, just simply delete the entries 0 - 60, and re-instate the list obtained from the ScanChannels software summary, preserving the same structure as in the original ini file. In my case, there are now only 8 frequency lines (1 to 8), so my Europe.ini reads as follows:

[sATTYPE]

1=5000

2=Terrestrial (EUR)

[DVB]

0=8

1=306000,8

2=462000,8

3=481834,8

4=505834,8

5=529834,8

6=537834,8

7=561834,8

8=578166,8

and that is all you need (for London, that is). It also speeds up channel scanning, having only to access eight frequencies rather than the whole lot. By the way, an important point: the ini file is actually held within a folder called C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\Transponders.

My second point is a suggestion for DVBViewer: please try to incorporate support for UK transmitters: the UK is grouped under Europe generally, and if the frequencies don't match up exactly, no channels are found, whereas the solution is very simple!

I am now enjoying my software months after first purchasing it!

Edited by rmkmonk
please try to incorporate support for UK transmitters:

Sorry, we can't. DVBViewer is a 15 Euro software, we are no big international company with branches all over Europe. We are only few people, most of them volunteering their time.

DVBViewer must be accepted as a users-support-users resp. community project. Provide your knowledge and experience, attach your working transponder list as a file, add some keywords to make it findable, and everybody will be happy :bye:

BTW: TransEdit (see menbers area) is a fine scanner and transponderlist editor - taylored for people like you! And it knows about C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\Transponders....

Sorry, we can't. DVBViewer is a 15 Euro software, we are no big international company with branches all over Europe. We are only few people, most of them volunteering their time.

OK, here is the Europe.ini file edited for the Crystal Palace transmitter in London:

Europe.ini

If DVBViewer can't include transponder files for all transmitters (which may get out of date anyway), how about a "thorough"/"slow" scanning option that goes through all frequencies including offset?

A transponder file including all frequencies might not achieve this, because it could result in duplicates. What is required is scanning behaviour similar to ScanChannelsBDA whereby the centre frequency is attempted first, and then if nothing is found, try negative and positive offsets in turn. I'm not saying it should be the default, because as you can see it's slow, but on many cards it is needed because they do not auto-lock onto offsets.

Edited by CX23882-19