Skystar 2 & DVBViewer

Guest hackbart

This Poll is improoving the faq  

74 members have voted

1. 1. This Poll is improoving the faq

• 1. My card was not recognized by the operating system.
    • 2. I got some "error code 10" during driver installation.
    • 3. I use a DiSEqC <1.1, but the commands are not send properly
    • 4. Video/Radio is freezing after a few minutes
    • 5. I don't have a problem with :)
    • 6. None of above

Guest hackbart

In the past i got a couple of questions not only directly about the DVBViewer (especially the DiSEqC switch thing). Since there is only a couple of questions which are appear more than ones, i thought to create some small hardware faq - maybe some problems are caused by the driver :) I would also be pleased if you could only post problems which are not like "Could not find B2C2 Filter" or "Could not set Tunerstatus" - since those are already answered in tons of forum posts before :bounce:

1. Was your DVB card auto. recognized after installation of the SkyStar 2 in the PCI-slot ? Yes/ No

What modell/ type of motherboard?

What revision of SkyStar 2 ( 2.3; 2.3p; 2.6B) ?

What company had your card software originally been branded when bought? TechniSat, Netsystem, EuropeOnline, DeTeSat, NileSat or other, let us know please

2. Did you encounter an " error code 10" during driver installation ? Yes/ No

What driver version did you use? old; 4.22; 4.28

Did you solve the problem? Yes/ No

What did you do? ( BIOS update; modified PCI Latency in BIOS; change used PCI slot; dissabled ACPI; unique IRQ assigned to DVB deveice)

3 .Do you have a satellite multi-switch that requires DiSEqC commands to be sent? Yes/No

Do you have some problems with switching between Positions/ Options? Yes/No

What is your CPU speed?

What is the max. power of your power supply unit?

4. Do you have a Hyperthreading or even a Multiprocessor system. In this case you should use the attached tool. Please keep in mind that this tool is not directly necessary if you use the current DVBViewer fullversion, since it is already implemented in there...

Cheers

Christian

patch.zip

Bought my card from europeonline last year and the card revision is 2.3

My initial system was MSI K7T266Pro2 + AMD 1500+ and GF2 MX200 runing on winxp with sp1 and all the updates. The card was recognised without any problems and using it with technisat 4.22 drivers. (the 4.28 made me some problems so i'm back on 4.22). Primary I use it for EOL. The only problem that I encounter is that some times the card blocks (no data is coming down). The solution for this problem is in device manager, I disable the B2C2 card and after that I enable it. This problem is mostly present after I watch TV with DVBViewer or other soft and I exit the program and start again the server4pc application, and somtimes when I restart the computer (i don't know what couses this problem).

My present system is MSI K7N2 delta ilsr + AMD 2500+ Barton + FX5600 with 128 ram runing on winxp + sp1, it seems that this problem is less present with the nforce2 chipset then with the via chipset (had no time yet to try the 4.28 drivers with this system).

Habos

yesterday is installed a ss2 on a friends computer.... but after installing the drivers windows didn't found the card.... neither it was shown in the hardware list ( on booting )

changing the pci slot helped... therefore i supposed it won't be the drivers fault.... but other PCI cards are working fine on the PCI slot.... only the ss2 don't want :)

ss2 REV 2.3

win2k

pIII 800

256 mb ram

gf2mx

1.) Card was recognized on W2K3 Server, the 4.2.8 drivers were installed properly (by virtue of keeping the Technisat CD-ROM out of the drive).

Hardware:

* Asus P4P800 Deluxe (BIOS default settings)

* Skystar 2.6 B

2.) No problems installing

3.) No DiSEqC around

4.) P4 2.4 GHz (FSB800) HT CPU - no hiccups with "DVBViewer TE" after setting CPU affinity in task manager. Have yet to try 1.99R9.

1. It was recognized as an 'unknown network adapter'

My Mainboard is an ECS L7S7A2

The Revision I don't know: I bought it in Feb2003 in the MädchenMarkt for 49Eur. It had a white box and a black Cooler. I bought it as TechniSat-Card.

2. No such problems. Drivers 4.22 and 4.28 both work.

3. I use only one output of an 0.3dB Quad-LNB with integrated Matrix/Switch.

I don't use Diseq or something like that. CPU is XP2000. GPU is Geforce4Ti4200. OS is Wini98se. PSU is 350WSirtec.

4. None of these

I have to correct myself.

Hyper-threading really, really - and I *mean* *really* - gives something in the Skystar 2 software chain the shivers. With hyper-threading turned on and "something" running that uses the Skystar 2 hardware,

* my USB mouse is extremely jerky

* sound drops out very often

Two scenarios:

1.) DVBViewer

* DVBViewer 1.99 R9 running - this should be the version with the "HT fix"

* Wiggle USB mouse (generic HID)

--> At least every 3-5 seconds notice that the mouse "halts" for a fraction

of a second, then moves on.

2.) Casablanca

* Have the catcher leeching in the background

* Start RealOne Player to listen to an MP3

--> Notice that sound from on-board device drops out at

least every 3-5 seconds

Without knowing any details of the software, it very much seems as if the Skystar 2 kernel driver causes most serious latency problems, possibly due to inadequate locking.

This is "fixed" by turning off HT in the BIOS - but, hey, I didn't get an HT CPU for nothing!

Net result: At the moment I have very mixed feelings about the Skystar 2 (and, as a result, about DVBViewer, although this misbehaviour might not be the fault of DVBViewer itself)

For the sake of completeness:

* Asus P4P800 Deluxe; BIOS version 1010 (latest / allegedly best)

* P4 2.4 GHz (FSB800) HT

* 1 GB RAM

* Skystar 2, rev. 2.6 B

* Technisat drivers for Skystar, version 4.2.8

* nVidia GeForce MX card (no certain what exactly - I guess an MX 440), 64 MB - latest officially released generic nVidia drivers

* Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition

Guest hackbart

hmm, take a look into the taskmanager and assign all these problematic processes to only one cpu. The DVBViewer should do this at least for hisself, but i'm a but unsure what happens if server4pc runs etc..

Christian

Hi,

this is my sistem:

Gigabyte intel 845pe , P4 2.4 Ghz,512 Mb Ram,windows XP+sp1+dx9.0b , Sapphire radeon 9500 , Audio Terratec DMX 6 fire lt , terratec cinergy 400 .

Software DVBViewer,Theatertek , zoomplayer.

Skystar netsystem rev 2.3 , drivers 4.22 or 4.28.

I have only one problem, it is difficult switch to Diseqc PosB_optionA.

I have to try several times , enter and exit from DVBViewer , restart graph and so on.

I see the signal level go to zero and after to 100% ... and nothing happens.

When finally it switches :) all is good , but if I return on Posa_optionA ... same problem.

Any idea ?

Antonio

Pinning to a single CPU does not appear to have any effect.

In the DVBViewer scenario, only DVBViewer itself is running. None of the additional tools / executables supplied by Technisat are around.

IIRC, I even tried

* start DVBViewer (1.99R9)

* pin to CPU0 in task manager

* wiggle mouse

and I still got the rather annoying "hiccups".

• 2 weeks later...
Skystar netsystem rev 2.3 , drivers 4.22 or 4.28.

I have only one problem, it is difficult  switch to Diseqc PosB_optionA.

I have to try several times , enter and exit from DVBViewer , restart graph and so on.

I see the signal level go to zero and after to 100% ... and nothing happens.

When finally it switches :wub: all is good , but if I return on Posa_optionA ... same problem.

My new skystar 2 is arrived , vers. 2.6B.

It switches perfectly from Diseqc pos A to pos B.

So my problem is solved :) .

I forgot to say I have also Reclock and Ffdshow installed and used with Theatertek.

Bye

Antonio

• 1 month later...