configurable teletext subtitle delay

hwileniu

The Finnish National Broadcasting Company's (YLE) teletext subtitles are shown too early. It would be great if it was possible to configure the subtitle delay like it is with the DVB subtitles.

When watching recorded video, I can use VLC's subtitle delay option, but I'd like to watch tv with the correct subtitles as well. They are off about 2 seconds, which is kind of annoying.

Unfortunately it is not an option for me to use the DVB subtitles with my setup.

Unfortunately it is not an option for me to use the DVB subtitles with my setup.
And why is that? (Btw. these people made a lot of work to get DVBSubtitles work as well as they work now.)
And why is that? (Btw. these people made a lot of work to get DVBSubtitles work as well as they work now.)

I have a laptop with a 1,2GHz PIII Mobile processor, which is just enough to use an A-link DTU to watch DVB-T transmissions. But when I switch the DVB subtitles on, there are glitches and hiccups in the video stream. I've tried different codecs and programs, but to no avail. Teletext subtitles, however, work perfectly. Except that they are displayed too early.

Because there already is a configurable delay for displaying the DVB subtitles, I just thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask if it was possible to implement a similar delay for displaying the teletext subtitles.

Based on this post the situation has not always been like this, but is it because of changes in YLE's broadcasting or DVBViewer's code, I don't know.

I have a laptop with a 1,2GHz PIII Mobile processor, which is just enough to use an A-link DTU to watch DVB-T transmissions.

Can it be USB settings ? I use often my Desctop with PIII 800 Mz with no such problems, my card(s) are PCI type.

the situation has not always been like this, but is it because of changes in YLE's broadcasting or DVBViewer's code, I don't know.
I remember that YLE has changed timing and according them teletext subs are only meant for sattelite transmission and where the timing is correct.

I understand that teletext subtitle timing is not possible to configure. There is a work-around:

demux subtitles to .srt using ProjectX and then adjust timings with Subtitle Workshop. However,

the resulting subtitle does not show with DVBViewer due to another bug: .srt subtitles are not

shown if the stream contain DVB subtitles.

Lars MQ: could you fix the other problem?

@hwileniu: Do you have the teletext subtitles too early problem with live TV?

Most people only have the problem when watching recorded .ts-files or equivalently timeshifted TV.

Yes, the teletext subtitles are shown too early both with live TV and with recordings. The latter is no problem, since I can watch the .TS files with VLC, where I can delay the subtitles as I see fit.

@IRa: Thanks for the information regarding YLE's subtitles. I guess I'm out of luck then. I don't think the the problem is with my laptop's USB settings, other people have reported similar problems with A-link's DTU when using a sub-requirement computer. (The minimum requirement is a PIV 1.2GHz, and I have a PIII M 1.2GHz.)

(The minimum requirement is a PIV 1.2GHz, and I have a PIII M 1.2GHz.)
But I thing that requirement is for software coming with the dongle, I belive DVBV runs with lower CPU usage. Are you using USB1.1 or USB2 with your dongle?
But I thing that requirement is for software coming with the dongle, I belive DVBV runs with lower CPU usage. Are you using USB1.1 or USB2 with your dongle?

I'm indeed using a USB2 port. I tried once more modifying all kinds of settings, even tried running the computer in lower resolution (800 x 600 instead of 1028 x 768), but to no avail, when turning on the DVB subtitles, the video stream starts to stutter. I guess what I could do is start another thread in the General forum, list all the things I've tried, and ask for more tips.

this is not possible. teletext is shown as soon as it arrives.

A delay should not be any problem, and in fact other DVB programmes allow to do this. You can choose TXT subtitles in DVBViewer via context menu, so what is the problem not to buffer them for some time?

• 4 months later...

The options dialog now contains a delay for live subtitles (which appears to wotk ok). What might also be useful is if there were some sort of configurable "Time to live" timer that stops subtitles displaying long after their context has gone!

• 3 months later...
Yes, the teletext subtitles are shown too early both with live TV and with recordings. The latter is no problem, since I can watch the .TS files with VLC, where I can delay the subtitles as I see fit.

@IRa: Thanks for the information regarding YLE's subtitles. I guess I'm out of luck then. I don't think the the problem is with my laptop's USB settings, other people have reported similar problems with A-link's DTU when using a sub-requirement computer. (The minimum requirement is a PIV 1.2GHz, and I have a PIII M 1.2GHz.)

Hello hwileniu

I have the same subtitle display problem. Would you please let me know what is the VLC's subtitle delay option? Actually what is VLC? and where can I get it? Please advise. Thanks.

Hello Thanks for your link. I've downloaded the latest version VLC 0.8.6i and playback a .ts file. But the subtitle only flashed for less than a second and then gone. Would IRa or anyone else know how to keep the subtitle running smoothly, just like what is showing on DVBViewer? Thanks.

But the subtitle only flashed for less than a second and then gone.
I don't think there is any delay adjustment in VLC, you can select them by subtitle traks. It uses the timecode in side the stream. However teletext subs seems not work like charm, in Finland they send them for several chanels uin same mux and you select them by using sertain page number but VLC autoselects all of them.

Are you using teletext subtitles or DVBsubtitles ? File format you are usingfor recordings TS or MPG ?

I don't think there is any delay adjustment in VLC, you can select them by subtitle traks. It uses the timecode in side the stream. However teletext subs seems not work like charm, in Finland they send them for several chanels uin same mux and you select them by using sertain page number but VLC autoselects all of them.

Are you using teletext subtitles or DVBsubtitles ? File format you are usingfor recordings TS or MPG ?

Hello thanks for your reply. I use teletext subtitles. There is no DVB subtitles here in Australia. The file is in TS format. Normally subtitle would come and stay until the related speech ended. But the problem here is the teletext subtitle just flashed out at the beginning of the speech and gone in less than a second long before the speech ended. No subtitle was shown during the rest of the speech. Then another speech started and the related subtitle flashed out and gone. I meant the subtitle would not stay on screen until the full sentence finished. Is the software not compatible with Windows Vista Home Premium? I used the latest version just downloaded yesterday.

I meant the subtitle would not stay on screen until the full sentence finished. Is the software not compatible with Windows Vista Home Premium? I used the latest version just downloaded yesterday.
So we are still talking about VLC ?

Maybe this not the right forum for that (VLC has its own forum)

However text subtitles in my opinion they don't work in VLC. We have in Finland brodcasts which have both finnish and swedish (teletext)subtitles and they show both and non of them disent times, I have not find any way to influence what teletext are shown. DVB subs work OK

By the way, Now I also noticed that I am not able to show teletext nor DVBsubs in DVBViewer anymore in playback

By the way, Now I also noticed that I am not able to show teletext nor DVBsubs in DVBViewer anymore in playback

..maybe because the corresponding streams were not recorded? :)

..maybe because the corresponding streams were not recorded? :)
Yes they are, I can see them in VLC and I have seen them in same files earlier with DVBV.
Which DVBViewer version are you using?

3.9.4.0 or 3.9.4.40 BETA

Bouth and I also tried older versin (but they all uses same confucuraion and setup files )

Since they worked earlier OK (with same files) is there something in 3.9.4 that has changed setup.xml or some other setupe file so thet they don't see in playback ?

So we are still talking about VLC ?

Maybe this not the right forum for that (VLC has its own forum)

However text subtitles in my opinion they don't work in VLC. We have in Finland brodcasts which have both finnish and swedish (teletext)subtitles and they show both and non of them disent times, I have not find any way to influence what teletext are shown. DVB subs work OK

I'm so sorry. Don't meant to keep talking VLC in this forum. But only hwileniu talking about a solution to the playback timing issue I'm trying to solve, either to fix live TV subtitle timing or to fix playback ts file subtitle timing. VLC has its own problem. When playback ts file recorded from channel 7, subtitle playback is perfect, just amazing! But for channel 9 recordings, subtitle cannot be read. With DVBViewer, subtitle shown ok for both playback of channel 7 & 9 recordings except it always come & finish much much earlier. I'm not a programmer, don't know what's wrong here. But I do realize each software can solve one issue but not the other. The problem here is probably programmers cannot share their effort, maybe too much pre-occupied by their organisations behind.