Channelgroups

UiP

Hi,

I'm using 5 twinhan DVB-T CI cards in 1 computer and distribute the stream with unicast server.

But in my area there are 5 muxers, and I would like to assign 1 mux to a specific card, e.g channelgroup A to Card 1, channelgroup B to card 2.

With only 3 channelgroups i can't do that. Is there any workaround or does it need to be implemented in the "next" release?

Regards

UiP

Hi,

I'm using 5 twinhan DVB-T CI cards in 1 computer and distribute the stream with unicast server.

But in my area there are 5 muxers, and I would like to assign 1 mux to a specific card, e.g channelgroup A to Card 1, channelgroup B to card 2.

With only 3 channelgroups i can't do that. Is there any workaround or does it need to be implemented in the "next" release?

Regards

UiP

Same problem here. Since Canal-Digitaal (NL) moved part of there channels to Astra3 i have need for four devices. And i would like to assign each device it's own channel group. Strange that the DVBViewer team chose for a fixes number of fixed named channelgroups in stead of unlimited, nameable ones.

In channelgroup approach i think mediaportal set the right approach.

I guess there is not enough space for more groups in the channel settings. In the current form it takes 3 bits for 3 flags corresponding to the 3 groups. Alas same shortage applies for the favorites :bye:

Technically it would be no problem to provide let's say 8 channel groups, but part of the UI has to be re-designed (options -> hardware -> 8 buttons? Not really nice), and someone must find the time to accomplish the necessary changes throughout the code.

Technically it would be no problem to provide let's say 8 channel groups, but part of the UI has to be re-designed (options -> hardware -> 8 buttons? Not really nice), and someone must find the time to accomplish the necessary changes throughout the code.

That's understandable. After all: it's a request, not a bug. But it would be nice if the dvbv team would give this some status: ' Yes, we will take this on in some future release. '

I guess there is not enough space for more groups in the channel settings. In the current form it takes 3 bits for 3 flags corresponding to the 3 groups. Alas same shortage applies for the favorites

With three bits you have place for eight channelgroups. I dont have to explain that to you.

Edited by pastimer

The solution for your could be a multiswitch. Then each physical device would have access to all channels. Then you'd make a much better use of your resources. For canal digitaal you could define a separate group for a device with CI :bye:

With three bits you have place for eight channelgroups. I dont have to explain that to you.

We have 8 bits in the channels.dat = 256 groups.

However, the hardware options require one bit per group, since they are kind of "allowed/not allowed for this device" flags, altogether a set of groups.

Is this correct (within the context of dvb-s):

device1(TTS3200): astra1(A/A), astra2(A/:bye:, hotbird (B/A)

device2(TTS1400): astra1(A/A), astra2(A/:bounce:, astra3 (B/A)

device3(TT3600) : astra1(A/A), astra2(A/:wacko:, astra3 (B/A), hotbird (B/;)

channelgroups:

A: astra1

B: astra2, astra3

C: astra2, hotbird

device:

assign AC to device1

assign AB to device2

assign ABC to device3

Will this work?

B: astra2, astra3

C: astra2, hotbird

You can't assign two channel groups to one channel (on astra2).

device1(TTS3200): (...) hotbird (B/A)

device3(TT3600) : (...) hotbird (B/:bye:

Creates nasty problems. A channel can't have two different device dependent DiSEqC settings. Thus the channel list must contain all hotbird channels twice, with DiSEqC = B/A and DiSEqC = B/B. I'm not sure if DVBViewer can cope with it. E.g. when a scheduled recording starts, DVBViewer might try to select the wrong hotbird channel version, because DiSEqC is not part of the channel ID that is used in this case (a possible work-around is giving the hotbird doublets different names, since the name is part of the channel ID). Furthermore you would need four channel groups to get this organized. :bounce:

If device 1 & 3 would receive hotbird with the same DiSEqC setting, the channel groups could be assigned in the following way:

A: astra1, astra2

B: astra3

C: hotbird

device 1: A,C

device 2: A,B

device 3: A,B,C

You can't assign two channel groups to one channel (on astra2).

Creates nasty problems. A channel can't have two different device dependent DiSEqC settings. Thus the channel list must contain all hotbird channels twice, with DiSEqC = B/A and DiSEqC = B/B. I'm not sure if DVBViewer can cope with it. E.g. when a scheduled recording starts, DVBViewer might try to select the wrong hotbird channel version, because DiSEqC is not part of the channel ID that is used in this case (a possible work-around is giving the hotbird doublets different names, since the name is part of the channel ID). Furthermore you would need four channel groups to get this organized. ;)

If device 1 & 3 would receive hotbird with the same DiSEqC setting, the channel groups could be assigned in the following way:

A: astra1, astra2

B: astra3

C: hotbird

device 1: A,C

device 2: A,B

device 3: A,B,C

Seems to me the way it's implemented is not 'normalized' very well.

If for example a request for NED1 comes to DVBViewer i would expect the following:

- realize that NED1 is mapped both on digitenne (DVB-T) and Astra1.

- find the first available device (it should be possible to prioritize devices) that has digitenne or Astra1. This can be a device that is not in use OR a device that IS in use AND has NED1 in it's transport stream.

- Let's say a free device was found: lookup the diseqc setting of Astra1 on that device if it's dvb-s.

- Lookup the specific tuning parameters of the channel on the satellite (treat digitenne as a satellite or use a more general term like transpondergroup)

- tune it.

Important to get this kind of stuff right i think, especially if dvbserver is used.

Edited by pastimer
  • 1 month later...

:bye: ...from the post YOU linked:

This means after this day we start with Version 4.0 which will takes month until its completion

...ie v. 4.0 is still far to be here...

;)

• 3 months later...
Did you restive a different satellite with each card?

yes, my idea is a 4 port diseqc switches attached to each of the cards.

Edited by Valts

The next DVBViewer GE release will support 8 channel groups A...H, and I've proposed to Lars to do the same in DVBViewer Pro (which doesn't necessarily mean that he will do it right now... there are so many other things to look after).