Chinese Char. for EPG and Subtitles

Jacky Fung

I'm interesting for purchasing the DVBViewer as my Digital TV Player. Is DVBViewer support chinese char for EPG and Subtitles? Because I'm using at Hong Kong and the EPG and Subtitles are in chinese. Thanks for your kindly help!!!

Good question, we dont use Unicode for our EPG - since the application also supports non NT Platforms. Since i'm unable to receive transmissions i can not really promise that, but i did not heard any complaints from our japanese resp. "arabic" users.

Christian

Hi Christian,

I was purchase and you already sent the information to me. Thanks.

After installation at Vista Ultimate 32-bit version. For the EPG, it can't show correct chinese char at the EPG windows. It might be the problem of Unicode. So do you have any suggestion for that?

Moreover, I'm trying to enable the Task Scheduler but I found the option "Use Microsoft Task Manager" at the extend option was disabled. How can I switch on it?

Actually, I also a programmer. Please let me know if you can help me to solve the problem and I'm willing to help you to solve the localization problem at HK / Chinese char. Because there a I.T. related magazine was introduce the DVBViewer as the Digital TV Playing/Recording. If DVBViewer can support Chinese EPG/Subtitles. DVBViewer will familiar in HK.

Have a nice day~~~ Thanks.

Jacky Fung

Can you give me a favour? Is it possible to upload a small sequence of a transponder dump which includes a channel, the epg etc. This can be easily done with Transedit. Alternatively a epg.dat and channels.dat would be useful.

Christian

Hi jacky,

About Task scheduler (to wake your pc from standby… mode):

*1 Download “task scheduler” from members section / main application.

*2 Unzip the file and place the “task scheduler” in the DVBViewer map.

*3 Be sure that you don’t have changed the name of “DVBViewer.exe”. (se my case below).

*4 Now it is possible to tick the box at “the extend option”.

Have fun, Argon

Dear Christian ,

I am also a Hong Kong user purchased the DVB Veiwer after reading Jacky's post in uwants.com.hk. Agreed with Jacky, in Hong Kong, it starts to broadcast HD program from 31 Dec 07 and many people are now searching the solution to viewing the HD program. DVB veiwer is one of the choice since it introduced by the HK PC magazine. If you can fix the chinese EPG problem, the program will be heat in Hong Kong since another program with DxVA support (TotxxMedia) is so buggie and make many people upset. If DVB Veiwer can focus on DxVA support and Chinese Traditional EPG, the program must be famous in Hong Kong.

Regards,

Willie

Is it possible to get a screenshot from the article? It would be nice to have some "what magazines say" section on our website ;)

Christian

Hi Christ,

I am from Hong Kong too! Just want to let you know many users are waiting for the Chinese EPG (though I purchased my copy already :bye: )! Work hard man!

If you are interested in what the magazine said, you can take a look here: Link.

Hi Christian,

Great Software. I am another TotalMedia user in Hong Kong who jumped to DVBViewer. Been using it for 2 days and it looks way better and stable than TotalMedia under Vista

Wish your next update will support Unicode in the EPG and maybe speed up the channel switching a bit too.

Ric.

• 3 weeks later...

Another way to get EPG into DVBViewer is to import it from an external file.

http://www.tvxb.com/

Here it claimed, that Hong Kong is supported.

I haven't the slightest idea if this will work, maybe worth a try.

Use URL in my signature to download the import tool.

If you say so, I believe you. So DVBViewer will not display it even if read from an UTF-8 file as WideString and Charset is one of

GB2312_CHARSET 134 Simplified Chinese characters (mainland china).

CHINESEBIG5_CHARSET 136 Traditional Chinese characters (Taiwanese)

Maybe this will be a bit easier with next version of Delphi (unicode support)?:bye:

unicode is not that simple - especially if you have an eye to the tons of text which has to be kept in mind. When the project started in 2002 i focused the work on Charsets, because a lot of users (myself included) used 9x operating systems. As we know only NT based systems where capapable to deal with unicode.

Anyway we are working on a solution to transform the unicode into proper GBK charset (http://dev.csdn.net/article/34/34208.shtm) - but this more complicated than i thought, especially since a western xp does not really like chinese charsets at all and i'm unable to read it. I would really looking forward for any kind of suggestion :radscorpion:

Christian

PS: Since DVB Subtitles where used in your region, the "only" problem is the epg.

In Czech language are problems with EPG also. Some characters with punctuation are displayed wrong way (two different characters instead of one correct character with punctuation).

This does not have anything todo with the chinese unicode epg. The czech epg has the same problem like the polish one. Each provider seems to have its own way to deal with the characters.

This does not have anything todo with the chinese unicode epg. The czech epg has the same problem like the polish one. Each provider seems to have its own way to deal with the characters.

OK, I understand this, I just want to say that there are more languages, they are not displayed correctly. Maybe provider has its own way, but STB (i.e. Technisat DigiPal) has no problem at all, so this problem can by solved somehow.

Does this make any sense? Because it does not for me :radscorpion: I installed the simsun font from the office cd (because i read that this font has to be installed if a ansi based chinese display is wanted) and somehow the unicode test string i used completely changed.

sense.png

What is the content of this text (if there is one)?

Christian

Is there a way of getting multiple languages displayed properly in EPG and OSD? I personaly would like to see Latvian (Baltic charset), Russian and Western charset... As far as I see DVBViewer uses default charset set by windows... maybe is it possible to set different charsets for different channels if unicode support is not possible :radscorpion:

Does this make any sense? Because it does not for me :radscorpion: I installed the simsun font from the office cd (because i read that this font has to be installed if a ansi based chinese display is wanted) and somehow the unicode test string i used completely changed.

post-1-1205574347_thumb.png

What is the content of this text (if there is one)?

Christian

Christian,

The translation is as follows:

Bond time - Morning Edition <= in Simplified Chinese (used in mainland China)

Bond time - Morning Edition <= in Simplified Chinese (used in mainland China)

Deceitful <= A very extremely rarely used Traditional Chinese character - looks like data extraction error?

Deceitful??????? <= A very extremely rarely used Traditional Chinese character - ???? may be some data extraction error?

Info Link (HD) © <= in Traditional Chinese (used in Hong Kong/Taiwan), (HD)=High Definition, ©=Traditional Chinese EPG

Info Link (HD) © <= in Traditional Chinese (used in Hong Kong/Taiwan), (HD)=High Definition, ©=Traditional Chinese EPG

Edited by sickno

Thats what i already thought of :radscorpion: Can you have a look at the rest of the text (on the transedit screenshot)? I'ts a bit weird, because according to the specs the code should be big5 encoded, but i was only able to display a text while using gb232. ´

The first text phrase (on the image) is unicode and grabbed by a website i found. The image below is the same text converted to ansi (using charsets).

The third line is the epg information i got from a transponder dump and the fourth one the translation to ansi.

The last two lines are the same epg information, but i switched the high and low byte, because the ( H D ) information was looking suspicious for this.

What i want to know if if the info link is correct and if the second screenshot (with the chinese text) is showing garbage or not..

I will post a text dump of the real epg data - maybe someone is able to get it in a visual readable unicode ;)

Christian

Thats what i already thought of :( Can you have a look at the rest of the text (on the transedit screenshot)? I'ts a bit weird, because according to the specs the code should be big5 encoded, but i was only able to display a text while using gb232. ´

The first text phrase (on the image) is unicode and grabbed by a website i found. The image below is the same text converted to ansi (using charsets).

The third line is the epg information i got from a transponder dump and the fourth one the translation to ansi.

The last two lines are the same epg information, but i switched the high and low byte, because the ( H D ) information was looking suspicious for this.

What i want to know if if the info link is correct and if the second screenshot (with the chinese text) is showing garbage or not..

I will post a text dump of the real epg data - maybe someone is able to get it in a visual readable unicode :blink:

Christian

Christian,

Have you tried to install arialuni or mingliu font from your office cd and see if you are able to display a text with big5 encoding? For some reason, simsun font can display some traditional chinese characters, but not all of them, may be because part the font file was made in Taiwan? I dont know.

Christian,

As for your information, the first and second line seems to be coming from CCTV, a mainland china broadcaster (gb2312 encoding), and the programme link is:

http://www.cctv.com/program/zgzq_new/02/index.shtml

The third and forth line is obviously wrong.

The fifth and sixth line is coming from Hong Kong's TVB HD Jade Channel, with Big5/unicode encoding, and the programme link is:

http://infolink.tvb.com/video/providevideoindex.php

I understand you do not read chinese, but i provide the links above because both of the pages have put their programme name in jpg file, so that hopefully you can verify yourself visually :(

BTW which one is the transedit screenshot? Can you give me some hints so that I can verify it for you?

I know the third and fourth line is the data transmitted in the epg stream. I realized that this is obviously wrong, because the content was not displayed at all (even for my understanding). The attached text file is for example a text entry in the eit. The first byte is always 0x11 and points you to the information which type of encoding the text is. In this case ISO/IEC 10646-1 Basic Multilingual Plane.

The most important thing i need to know is if the screenshot of transedit shows correct information (the chinese text in the screenshot - on the last page).

The following screenshot has been taken with mingliu and BIG5 as output:

big5.png

Christian

168319937.txt

I know the third and fourth line is the data transmitted in the epg stream. I realized that this is obviously wrong, because the content was not displayed at all (even for my understanding). The attached text file is for example a text entry in the eit. The first byte is always 0x11 and points you to the information which type of encoding the text is. In this case ISO/IEC 10646-1 Basic Multilingual Plane.

The most important thing i need to know is if the screenshot of transedit shows correct information (the chinese text in the screenshot - on the last page).

The following screenshot has been taken with mingliu and BIG5 as output:

post-1-1205661550_thumb.png

Christian

Christian,

The jpg file output looks OK, but the .txt file is NOT correct.

Please have a look at the image attached:

post-55191-1205665899_thumb.jpg

(The left bottom part of the image shows the expected output, whereas the bottom right shows what is actually showing in my screen)

For the jpg file, all of them are valid Traditional Chinese characters and the translation of the image to English text is as follows:

[-] ServiceID = 85 - High Definition Jade

[+] EventID = 22 - Info Link (HD)©

[+] EventID = 23 - Financial News and News at 11 ©

[+] EventID = 3 - Money Smart

[+] EventID = 4 - Shanghai Comm. Bank Presents: Inside the Stock Exchange ©

[+] EventID = 5 - Money Smart

[+] EventID = 6 - Shanghai Comm. Bank Presents: Inside the Stock Exchange ©

[+] EventID = 7 - Money Smart

[+] EventID = 8 - News at Noon ©

[+] EventID = 9 - Prince Jewellery & Watch Presents: EARTH LIVE

[+] EventID = 10 - Money Smart

[+] EventID = 11 - Shanghai Comm. Bank Presents: Inside the Stock Exchange ©

[+] EventID = 12 - Money Smart

[+] EventID = 13 - Shanghai Comm. Bank Presents: Inside the Stock Exchange ©

[+] EventID = 14 - Money Smart

[+] EventID = 15 - High Definition Drama: Home (Cantonese/Mandarin)(HD)(S)

[+] EventID = 16 - Happy Chinese New Year of "Earth" "Mouse" (S) and Digital Buzz Guide (S)

[+] EventID = 17 - Scoop (HD)©

[+] EventID = 18 - Olympics Daily (S)

[+] EventID = 19 - Best Selling Secrets (HD)(S)

[+] EventID = 20 - Itacho Sushi Presents: Wasabi Mon Amour (S)

[+] EventID = 21 - The Gentle Crackdown II (S)(PG26L)

[+] EventID = 22 - Info Link (HD)©

[+] EventID = 23 - Financial News and News at 11 ©

[+] EventID = 24 - High Definition Drama: Home (Cantonese/Mandarin)(HD)(S)

[+] EventID = 25 - Scoop (HD)©

[+] EventID = 26 - Best Selling Secrets (HD)(S)

[+] EventID = 27 - E-Buzz (HD)

[+] EventID = 28 - Global Rhythm

[+] EventID = 29 - Info Link (HD)©

[+] EventID = 30 - High Definition Drama: Home (Cantonese/Mandarin)(HD)(S)

[+] EventID = 31 - E-Buzz (HD)

[+] EventID = 32 - Mind Our Own Business ®

[+] EventID = 33 - Prince Jewellery & Watch Presents: EARTH LIVE

[+] EventID = 34 - Good Morning Hong Kong ©

[+] EventID = 35 - Prince Jewellery & Watch Presents: EARTH LIVE

Edited by sickno

Wow, thanks thats what i wanted to hear. The bytes inside the text file are not correct, in order to display the content properly you have to change the first with the second, the third with the fourth etc.

Anyway it is good to hear that it works, so the next release might be able to display the chinese epg in the right way. I keep you informed :(

Christian