how to use MCE remote to control DVBViewer

RR7

i've got DVBViewer running nicely, but before i can introduce it to my wife i have to make it work via the remote control.

i have the mce 2005 remote and it works fine under media center. i'd like to map the play, pause info buttons etc DVBViewer.

it seems that the remote by default maps some keyboard buttons i.e the number etc so they work okay, it's the red blue green and yellow buttons, and playback buttons i need to make work.

i have 3 plugins listed in DVBViewer, wirc (disabled) MCE2005 and MCEir both enabled.

so what am i missing?

if you like to use the mce plugin which you already have enabled you need to learn the buttons which are not already mapped under options -> input.. thereto you need to click the "learn" button in the top right corner, then select the functions you want to learn and then push the button on the mce.. you should now see a new entry under the selected function which is called "mce" or similar.. now it should work..

instead you could also use girder and its DVBViewer plugin.. for example if you want to use the green button in the middle of the mce.. thereto you need girder, its DVBViewer plugin and the girder plugin for DVBViewer.. you should find these and instructions here on the board..

if you like to use the mce plugin which you already have enabled you need to learn the buttons which are not already mapped under options -> input.. thereto you need to click the "learn" button in the top right corner, then select the functions you want to learn and then push the button on the mce.. you should now see a new entry under the selected function which is called "mce" or similar.. now it should work..

instead you could also use girder and its DVBViewer plugin.. for example if you want to use the green button in the middle of the mce.. thereto you need girder, its DVBViewer plugin and the girder plugin for DVBViewer.. you should find these and instructions here on the board..

briliant! thanks.

i was missing something, i'd not actually looked at the root options of the input section, which is why i never came scross these options.

works great now.

somehow i cant edit my previous post..

there was a mistake in my post.. if you want to use girder you dont need a girder plugin for DVBViewer but you need the mce plugin for girder.. :bye:

somehow i cant edit my previous post..

there was a mistake in my post.. if you want to use girder you dont need a girder plugin for DVBViewer but you need the mce plugin for girder.. :)

...And if someone just using DVBViewer with MCE remote and dont want the green button to start "Media center" , heres how you do!

"First, go into the task manager and kill the process "ehtray.exe". This is what is "intercepting" your green button signal and starting the MCE UI. Then, go into the msconfig interface or the software explorer in Windows Defender, locate ehtray.exe in the list of start up files, and disable it. Do not simply remove it, as Windows may restore it to the list--just disable it. Voila!

Just be aware that if you start the MCE UI for any reason, it will automatically load the ehtray app into memory. You will then either have to kill it manually (via the task manager) or restart your computer (if it is disabled in start up, it won't reload when you restart)."

• 5 years later...

Hi all.

I have this remote just bought it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.de/Windows-Vista-Center-Fernbedienung-IR-Empf%C3%A4nger/dp/B008EQ6QI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362656075&sr=8-1

Basically it work but of course some keys are only working in Media Center. On the other hand the LEARN function is not anything... How to make it work with all its buttons? Girder software didn't help :(

Can someone help me with this? Is there any easy way besides messing up with the regedit?

LE: While struggling with HID USB and understanding something about MCE and the way things are when it's about IR codes and stuff I came up after this http://www.byremote.com.au . It seems it can do the job at some level... I'll keep you posted in case I will remap all my useful keys.

If somebody have a better idea I kindly wait for any of them.

Thank you.

Edited by alexdonc
  • 4 years later...

Hello,

just bought DVBViewer after Microsoft disabled my Windows Media Center.. : it works correctly with my AVERMEDIA AverTV Volar A867R tuner.

My Ortek MCE Windows remote which worked with WMC (still sold on Amazon.com) doesn't fully work now : the 0 to 9 number pad doesn't work, nor so for quite a few other buttons, and channels up and down buttons are reversed.

In Options / Input plugins, I ticked "Universal remote" then Scan Devices gave "Afatech" - also ticked.

As I could'nt find a suitable script, I left "Unknown" and clicked on "Find Script" : then press 1, 9, 0 Detection and OK : nothing changed...

How can I get my MCE remote fully working ? Or alternately which remote should I buy that works fully with DVBViewer ? (else I will ask for a refund)

Regards

Edited by henrit