Unicast device outside LAN possible?

Rafael

Hi all,

Thanks for this great forum where I found already almost all my information for this great dvb-s software. The question I have is the following:

-> Version of DVBViewer I'm using is 3.9.1.

Inside my appartment I'm able to use the DVBViewer Client after having configured the DVBServer for two tuner cards (dvb-t & dvb-s). In this case it's locally done via the 192.168..... address. My question is the following:

Because of not able to receive the Astra satellite on the balcony of my appartment I was thinking if it was possible to configure the dvbserver/client so that a virtual network unicast device would be detected outside my own network (so via the internet) to a server from a friend which actually can receive the ASTRA. I would set up a server on his place and be able to see his card on my client ( in my house) which would be me give the possibility to "catch" the ASTRA satellite.

The question is thus if the dvbclient program can actually be configured for the use of IP addresses outside your own local network instead of using the 192.168.1.<number> range?

Thanks for your information already.

Regards,

Rafael

..in principle you could use an unicast client outside your LAN. Of course proper routing is required. But it wouldn't make much sense cos you would have to transmit too much data in real time. The data has to be compressed first unless you have a super fast vpn :)

Try the webserver plugin with asf-streaming. The qualitiy will be rather poor (depending on your internet speed) and real time compression needs some processing power..

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for your answer. I understand thus that Unicast should be possible outside LAN but only if you have a high speed connection of internet and you have to use VPN. My internet at home as download of 20 MB/s and upload of 1 MB/s (ok has to be divided by 8 for the real speed) but anyway I don't know if that would be sufficient then....

The other solution (more easier) would be the use of the webserver streaming plugin. The question is now if my friend would like to watch another program is it possible to use this plugin for 1 extra DVB-s tuner and is it possible to start to dvb viewers at the same time or do they have to be installed on two pc's?

Regards,

Rafael

..in principle you could use an unicast client outside your LAN. Of course proper routing is required. But it wouldn't make much sense cos you would have to transmit too much data in real time. The data has to be compressed first unless you have a super fast vpn :)

Try the webserver plugin with asf-streaming. The qualitiy will be rather poor (depending on your internet speed) and real time compression needs some processing power..

My internet at home as download of 20 MB/s and upload of 1 MB/s

..the bottleneck will be probably the upload speed of your friend.

If you both want to watch different programmes or change channnels independently, you'll need different instances of the DVBViewer each with dedicated hardware.

Ok I understand!!

Do I need to put these clients in the same folder of DVBViewer? And if I buy exactly the same device for the server how would recognize the second DVBViewer this device? How do I know if it's not using the the first device...is there some name convention if you use two exactly the same usb dvb-s tuners?

Regards,

Rafael

..the bottleneck will be probably the upload speed of your friend.

If you both want to watch different programmes or change channnels independently, you'll need different instances of the DVBViewer each with dedicated hardware.

2 different dvbviewer_folders ... one for local use and the other with the plugin for your experiments. Both will detect all available hardware devices. Check normal_use/do_not_use for the devices accordingly. But try 1st with your existing equipment :) There is no guarantee and from now on, you're on your own..

All in all it's by far better and simpler to find a solution to receive Astra in your house...

Ok, in the balcony you can't, but I assume that your house (or building) have got a roof...

:)

Edited by Gioxy

Problem is that situation of my appartement is so that I can max. watch 5 degrees west and to receive Astra I would have to turn the dish almost 45 degrees which would be impossible....

On the roof is also not possible and allowed therefore I was thinking of this solution...

I might try the dvbwebser as only alternative or to have buy a dreambox + slingbox combination. The pity is that I like DVBViewer a lot....if somebody knows any other alternative ??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gioxy,

I already tried to receive the Astra satellite in my house but the only satellite I can receive is max Telecom 5 degrees West and Hispasat. The Astra is just behind the building so from my balcony it would not be possible to receive that one (would have to turn my dish30-45 degrees to the left).

Ok I think at the moment the solution of webstreaming is the most simple one and not so difficult to implement. The problem I'm facing now is the fact of having running two instances of DVBViewer on the same pc. One has to use the webstreaming plugin, the other is local. I tried to copy the two DVBViewer folder and rename this to DVBViewer2 (so a separate folder) but when I start a second DVBViewer nothing happens (having already one running). Is there some steps necessary to know how to achieve this?

Regards,

Rafael

All in all it's by far better and simpler to find a solution to receive Astra in your house...

Ok, in the balcony you can't, but I assume that your house (or building) have got a roof...

:)