Interface on server for Popcorn Hour client.

Kurben

Looks like Lars is now finally programming in "god-mode" :)

Great news afterall...

One thing crossing my mind:

@Lars would you like do do the recording directly on the PCH, or wouldn´t it be better to let the recording be done on the computer running the DVB-Server?

Because if you do it on the server, the client doesn´t need to be powered on. Specially if you use more clients this would be quite usefull.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lars_MQ

• buttonsNI.

• Derrick

• pastimer

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys to clear up some missunderstandings. the viewer will not run natively on the popi, that would be unwise because you need after all dvb-devices whch can not be fit into the client.

I'm working on a client (Popi) for display and programming/viewing data and on the server which will do the real work.

ATM it is a combination of a modified webinterface, a special streaming plugin and the DVBViewer. But this is only to get it working with known to work parts. If it is up and running I'll integrate everything together into one server.

There are limitations. You have for now say goodby to the OSD, there is currently no way displaying information while in Playbackmode. But I think this will change.

What takes so long is the programming of the webpages, you have to use a completely different concept than the pages of the original webinterface and that's what I'm struggeling with now :)

Shouldn't take too long (if I get these %&§$# webpages running... :) )

Maybe you can get some inspriration from the Oxyl project and especially the oxyl beta from houseman?

Just an idea. Maybe a nice integration is possible.

Regards, Eppo

....almost 7000 views.

@Lars_MQ: what is ment by "Zapping does actually work quite nice and is fast"?

Usually it takes 20-30s to start a liveTV stream over the http interface. As far I understand you are running an own client on PCH that calls mono directly. What you mean by fast and how do you stream to PCH?

the first start here is about 5 to 10 sec. switching up down via the popcorn hour remote takes around 1-2 secs till the new channel kicks in.

But my development setup is quite unusual: I stream from my server to a DVBViewer on the laptop via wlan and from the laptop via wlan to the router and then via cable to the popcorn hour. :( So it might work a bit faster if the whole stuff is runnng on one computer only ;)

And no, I don't run an own client, I only run a little helper on the popcorn, which catches all the remote keypresses and send them to the streaming source, so they can be processed. For more explanations you just have to scroll up 2 or 3 posts. :rotfl:

it's a simple TS stream. the same as the netstreaming plugin delivers.

I just threw out everything not needed (multicast, selection of streams etc). You always get all audiochannels (AC3 is patched on the fly so the popi understands it) and the PAT and PMT are rewritten on the fly as needed to keep the stream flowing :(

Just an Idea for OSD:

Can you add or modify the streams?

The idea is the following:

On DVDs the subtitles are encoded as bitmaps, and the player simply makes a kind ov overlay, so the bmp over the video.

I don´t know how it is done via DVB-s, but perhaps you could use this way.

"Simply" render the OSD as bitmap and mux it in the stream as dvd-like subtitle.

What do you think about this?

ATM I'm working on a modfied standalone version of the recording service, which will do all the stuff three programs/programparts did before (httpserver/DVBViewer/streaming plugin).

I just canned further works on the html interface. as soon as i get it running, I will release it as a work in progress with gruesome userinterface, because I realized, I need help and input with said userinterface.

Took much longer than I hoped but the first step is done. :robot:

The new recordingservice has basic popcornhour support. You do not have to use it as a service, it does work also as a standalone program (but you might have to disable the service in the windows controlcenter first).

I will publish the needed program/scripts for zapping hopefully this evening, I just have to document the steps to make it work. ;)

Took much longer than I hoped but the first step is done. :angry:

The new recordingservice has basic popcornhour support. You do not have to use it as a service, it does work also as a standalone program (but you might have to disable the service in the windows controlcenter first).

I will publish the needed program/scripts for zapping hopefully this evening, I just have to document the steps to make it work. ;)

I just bought DVBViewer this morning to be able to try this out. In 10 minutes flat I had the recordingservice working with my PCH. Excellent work!!!. Now to try the zapping solution. Greetings from Spain.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've installed the latest DVBViewer Beta.

So what do I need to do to get it runnning on the PopCornHour. I tryed having DVBservice.exe running with DVBViewer (with netstram and webserver on Port 8080 running) or dvbserver - but it always says: Request cannot be processed (on the TV).

I would consider it quite helpful if there was a step by step manual.

Thank you

CHfish

Edited by CHfish

Oh I'm sorry - must have missed that

Thank you very much

Anyway I've got a second PopCorn related issue: I've got an BBC HD capture and as always (even on live TV) PopCorn says it's DTS-Audio (instead of AC3) but the audio drops out every few seconds - and this is only happening with the recored TS Files. (The AC3/DTS Decoder which says it's AC3 by the way).

Since it seems to be a issue with DVBViewer and popi I was wondering if anyone could help?

I don't know if the Popi is sending some wrong Audio Information out of the TS File...

Does anyone have similiar issues? Of course it might be an issue with may old fashioned AC3/DTS Decoder...

CHfish

[Edit]Same Issue with HD-Suisse[/edit]

[Edit2]Popi has no issues with real DTS[/edit2]

Edited by CHfish

This is a known problem on the popi there is a workaround for live TV in the recording service. With the next upcoming firmware update the popcorn hour will detect AC3 correctly as AC3 and not as DTS.

Hi,

using this service on the poppi I have a small problem.

When I switch the audio of channels with multiple audio streams (2.0, 5.1, ...) only the first audio stream works.

It worked using using the netstream plugin and directly streaming a channel with 5.1

Is this a known problem?

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone been experiencing any crashes on their pc (bsod) while having the recording service installed for the popi.

i have

sometimes crashes 2/3 times a day always saying on the blue screen that the dvbs2 card is responsable...

i unstalled the recording service because before that install i had never had a bsod........so far since there has been no more bsod...

i thought that because the recording service was loaded from the startup and constantly listening to the dvb card that it might be the culperate. like i say so far no more crashes...

any views on this ??

Driver problem of the DVBCard. The service does not "listen all the time". If you deactivate the epg updater he never uses the card, unless you start a recording or the popcorn hour.

Obviously you seem to have a problem with your configuration/OS. Here the service does run 14 hours a day with 3 different DVB-Cards and recordings and epg-update and Popcornhour an I never expiriences a crash caused by the service.

Driver problem of the DVBCard. The service does not "listen all the time". If you deactivate the epg updater he never uses the card, unless you start a recording or the popcorn hour.

Obviously you seem to have a problem with your configuration/OS. Here the service does run 14 hours a day with 3 different DVB-Cards and recordings and epg-update and Popcornhour an I never expiriences a crash caused by the service.

i use the floppy s2 ....with all up to date drivers and firmware.....im only asking if anyone else has had similar issues lars because this has been doing my head in for a while....ive updated/downgraded motherboard bios .ive tried the dvb card in different firewire connection to the motherboard ..i tried using earlier drivers and firmware for the floppys2 ...all this with the recording service installed but still always a bsod at some point in the day......

the bsod could happen at any time when nothing was being used and computer sitting idle............since uninstalling the recording service the problem seems to have gone...

i have the firewire connection for the dvb card on the 9pin connection on the motherboard and like i said everything worked smoothly .....i recently have been receiving Data Execution Prevention (DEP) problems when using the recording service...i would be watching tv on the popi then going to change channel and it would stop working .i would go to the pc to see what was wrong and i would see Data Execution Prevention (DEP) shut the program down to prevent damage to the pc..

i am keen to have this service working on my pc but i really cannot say that i definately know where the fault lies..only that so far after uninstalling the service the pc has not crashed once

ok so i have reinstalled the service to give it another try

what i notice is that almost every time the pc is turned off and on again ,i loose the viewer on the popi menu

the viewer only appears back on the media source menu when....,

on the pc in the task bar where the service is auto loaded .i have to stop the service and then restart it

only by doing this can i get the viewer back on the popi menu

any ideas lars????

all firewire etc are correct in fact this still happens even when the firewire is switch off!!!!

as for the crashing as explained above ill keep monitoring it

ok so i have reinstalled the service to give it another try

what i notice is that almost every time the pc is turned off and on again ,i loose the viewer on the popi menu

the viewer only appears back on the media source menu when....,

on the pc in the task bar where the service is auto loaded .i have to stop the service and then restart it

only by doing this can i get the viewer back on the popi menu

any ideas lars????

all firewire etc are correct in fact this still happens even when the firewire is switch off!!!!

as for the crashing as explained above ill keep monitoring it

there we are crashed again how mant minutes was that

Edited by buttonsNI.

PC, floppy S2 that's all what we know about your system. May be difficult to help you. Does your floppy shares IRQ? Could you at least identify which application causes the crash (analyze the dump)? On my System the Recservice is running flawlessly 7x24.

PC, floppy S2 that's all what we know about your system. May be difficult to help you. Does your floppy shares IRQ? Could you at least identify which application causes the crash (analyze the dump)? On my System the Recservice is running flawlessly 7x24.

right ok i turned pc on from early this morning uk time ,installed the service once more but this time switched off the epg update .

after 6 hours still not a crash...lets see how long this lasts

'xela'

my system is

vista x64

X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+

asus a8n32slideluxe

2gb ddr400ram

2x sata 2 300gb raid0

GeForce 8600 GTS

oxygen cmi 8800 audio

and all the rest.......

vista x64. I don't think that this is the best choice. I would recommend XP. I did also switch back.

sorry i dont agree.i have had many many months of stability .every x64 driver on my system was fought hard for and every x86 application works flawlessly.this problem now will eventually be fixed. I have doubt of this.my setup ran all day long today without one bsod. Only change i made was unticking the epg update in the service

sorry i dont agree.i have had many many months of stability .every x64 driver on my system was fought hard for and every x86 application works flawlessly.this problem now will eventually be fixed. I have doubt of this.my setup ran all day long today without one bsod. Only change i made was unticking the epg update in the service

over 32 hours continuously on with still no bsod.(epg update)off

lars mayby there is a bug or a conflick somewhere when the epg update is on??

• 5 months later...