"Dynamic" Aspect Ratio

moyo

Hi, firstly, I will try to explain my situation. I have wide LCD display, ratio 16:10 (I think this is standard for most LCD wide screens). I have DVB-T card and watching terrestrial digital broadcasting. Some channels are broadcasting their programs in 4:3 format, others in 16:9 ... Because I cannot accept 2 black bars while watching program in 4:3 program, curretly I use "none" aspec ratio, to have a picture on a whole screen. But, ideal for me would be, if I could set, that:

a/ if the channel is broadcasting in 4:3 format, then use "none" aspect ratio

b/ if the channel is broadcasting in 16:9 format, then use "16:9" aspect ratio

c/ ... etc ...

so my I idea was to implement some "dynamic" aspec ration, where a user would be able to define ralations between real picture format and DVBViewer aspect ratio mode. What do you think? I think that it wouldn't be problem to implement such feature and it would be prette usefull for many "16:10" users ... ;-)

Thanks.

Edited by moyo

Äääähm, guys, are you serious that you want to asymmetrically zoom 4:3 content to 16:10, resulting in a aspect that is totally off (flattened picture)?

Lars' solution would zoom symmetrically so that you would lose picture information on top and bottom but preserve the correct aspect.

Personally, I am for complete picture information at correct aspect, so with black bars.

Clear -1 from me as a picture out of aspect is a no-go.

I agree with Cinch: the correct aspect ratio should be preserved. However there's one case where an automatic zoom would be useful and it's when the broadcast is actually 16/9 but transmitted in 4/3 i.e. with black bars on top and bottom. On my 16/9 screen, I end up having a small window in the middle of black on left, right, top and bottom !!

In this case the real issue is with the sender that is not doing its job of sending the correct information. On Atlantic Bird 3, only Arte transmits the correct information according to the program, and DVBViewer adjust fine. Unfortunately the other senders always say that the broadcast is 4/3 even if the show has been produced in 16/9.

Maybe one day they will send the right info... In the meantime, I have program action to cycle through the zoom preset to one key of my remote.