Audio L/R Channel select for audio over SPDIF

entrecour

I'd like to see the ability for multi-language channels to be correctly handled within DBVViewer when audio is output over SPDIF.

Currently for channels that have language A audio on left channel and language B audio on right channel one cannot use Audio Balance / RLAudioSel to correct if the audio is output over SPDIF. STB's handle this without any problem for the end user.

• 4 weeks later...

My kids are going crazy not being able to watch Cartoon Network on this TV so tell me

1) is there a work around that I am not aware of?

2) how can I help you get this implemented correctly - do you need information from the service provider on how the sound is switched, do you want me to record a sample?

3) should I raise this as a bug?

Thanks!

No, sorry, DVBViewer can't handle it. It is up to the receiver (the unit that gets the SPDIF output) to provide means for it. Or to the broadcaster, who could use an additional audio stream for a second language, instead of encoding both into one.

What kind of audio is broadcasted by Cartoon Network? MPEG audio? AC3? Which audio decoder are you using? AC3 filter? If you want to know more about SPDIF, read this.

The fact is that many nordic channels routinely code languages in this way and it's handled correctly by conventional satelite set top boxes. Cartoon Network uses MPEG audi and I don't expect Canal Digital will change their broadcatsing practices because a reciever that they do not support does not hanlde the dual coding.

I don't want to have to change my reciever settings every time I change channel, neither do I want audio coming out of one speaker so I am wondering what can be done in DVB'r or do nordic viewers need to revert to a conventional stb.

Maybe I'm completely wrong (I haven't SPDIF and I don't live in north europe), but if you aren't speak about a sort of automatic language recognition and

if (as you stated) the transimitted audio is plain MPEG, *maybe* a simple (and already present) solution could be to check (in "Setting / Options / TV + Radio") "Remember audio balance for each channel", thus memorizing for each channel the only audio channel you want to ear; dunno if RLAudioSel is working/useful in that config, but you can quickly give a try...

:)

What kind of audio is broadcasted by Cartoon Network? MPEG audio? AC3? Which audio decoder are you using? AC3 filter?

If you don't answer my questions, I won't deal with your matter any longer.

or do nordic viewers need to revert to a conventional stb

In your case, yes.

Sorry I thought I had answered (Cartoon Network uses MPEG audio) but more explicity I have tried the Vista Microsoft MPEG decoder, Nvidia Audio Decoder (PureVideo), and ffdshow (libmad I think). The audio codecs are processing the streams OK - it's the ability to send one stream (left or right) to both speakers that is missing in my opinion.

Thanks.

Hi,

I live in norway and has the same problem. Cartoon Network has 2 MPEG audio stream. One has english in left channel and norwegian in right channel. The other stream has swedish and danish in left and right channel.

I'm using Terratec Cinergy S2 PCI HD tv card. The software that comes with it Terratec Home Cinema can handle this. I can switch between normal, dual left and dual right audio modes. In dual left, the left channel is routed to both left and right speaker channels. Same for dual right except right channel is used as source.

I can adjust balance on the speaker system, but then I get only sound in 1 speaker.

Not a big problem for me since I don't have kids, but I like watching cartoons sometimes :unsure:

Some facts concerning this matter:

- Separating the left/right audio channels and outputting one of them to both speakers with DVBViewer requires the RadLight Audio Selection Filter (see members area, plugins section).

- Store the file RLAudioSel.ax in DVBViewer\Filters and register it e.g. by using the RadLight Filter Manager. Please note: Registering DirectShow filters requires administrator rights!

- After this, the Audio Selection Filter will be automatically used for MPEG audio by DVBViewer GE 2.4.5.0 and DVBViewer Pro 3.9.3.x Beta (see members area, beta section, this version is time limited!), but not by DVBViewer Pro 3.9.2.0, due to a bug. Simply use Settings -> Balance to select the left or right channel.

- Have a look at View -> Filters to make sure that DVBViewer is using the Audio Selection Filter. It will appear grayed in the list, since it has no property page, which doesn't matter. The Audio Selection filter is inserted after the audio decoder. It works as a kind of audio postprocessor.

- DVBViewer doesn't include the Audio Selection Filter for AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio, since many people are using the AC3 filter with the SPDIF passthrough option, which means, AC3 is sent to the receiver via SPDIF directly without being decoded. This kind of output can't be handled by the Audio Selection Filter.

- If the audio source is MPEG, but the output SPDIF, it may depend on which component takes care of the SPDIF output (I can't test it, because I have no SPDIF hardware). If the audio decoder does it (like the AC3 filter, it can even do it optionally for MPEG audio), the Audio Selection Filter may not work. However, if the audio renderer resp. sound card does the "SPDIFing", the Audio Selection Filter should not be affected.

- Have a look at the property page of your audio decoder (see View -> Filters) and check whether it offers options for SPDIF and audio channel selection.

- Separating the left/right audio channels and outputting one of them to both speakers with DVBViewer requires the RadLight Audio Selection Filter (see members area, plugins section).

This works, but not by outputting left or right channel to both speakers. It only turns off left or right channel. If I choose left, I get sound in left speaker and nothing in right speaker.

I can do the same with ffdshow audio decoder Mixer, but there too I only get sound in one speaker.

I didn't think it was unknown to developers of DVBViewer that some channels have different language in left and right audio channel as every digital tuners I've used can handle this. Usually this is used because the sound is mono like most cartoons. National Geographics Channel also use this for different language. It was more common before with analog tuners and I guess some are slow at changing to multiple MPEG streams.

Did you read the complete Post from Griga?

- Store the file RLAudioSel.ax in DVBViewer\Filters and register it e.g. by using the RadLight Filter Manager. Please note: Registering DirectShow filters requires administrator rights!
but not by DVBViewer Pro 3.9.2.0, due to a bug
Did you read the complete Post from Griga?

Yes I did. I Still only get sound in left or right speaker.

No big deal tho. I don't watch those channels much so I can live with it :blush: