Vista & DVBViewer?

mirc0n

Hi,

I am planning to install Vista to my HTPC.

How is DVBViewer working with it?

If you have any experience with following hardware with Vista, I am glad to hear about it :);

Technotrend C1500 DVB-C PCI

Asus EN8600GT OC

SoundGraph iMON Station

Thanks

Thanks for the replies! :)

So I suppose I should go for 32bit version?

when i used vista home premium 32bit the DVDs never had the menu cursors, no-one was able to sort this out and various settings made no difference. media center on the same pc using the same codecs worked fine.

when i went back to xp on the same hardware, this problem went away and it worked normally.

Edited by RR7
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Not quite so much good news with my DBV 3.9.4 with Intel Quad Core , X3320 @ 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI 2600XT (8.5 Drivers, to be updated as a result of problems) and using various Codecs (incl trials of Main Concept).. It seems to fall over when other software including browsers etc start or stop. I wonder if Vista 64 is immature... or then is any MS OS ever stable? Drivers are the biggest variable as far as I can see.

Stay with Vista x86 unless you in need of Ram >= 4GB there are no advantages with 64Bi. Far from it!

Most Software still is build for 32bit, Driver-Support is weak, under certain circumstances 64Bit runs even slower then 32... ect. ect.

DVBV runs quit stable on Vista, execpt some minor Problems with the EVR-Render. (Nothing serious: Slightly longer times at Channel-Switching, sometimes the Renderer stops and the Graph has to build up again).

When you run either the Home Premium or the Ultimate Version, you can even integrate the Viewer into MediaCentre.

Greetz

Pinbot

When you run either the Home Premium or the Ultimate Version, you can even integrate the Viewer into MediaCentre.

How do you do that? I mean integrate DVBV into MediaCenter

Thanks

Oops missed this thread and your questions... sorry!

Yes the "Secret" is DVBSbridge. Works excellent .. and is quite inexpasive.

BUT! Only with SD-Channels due to Limitations in Vista itself. I hoped this would solved withe the release of "Fiji" (TV Pack 2008) but sorowly no change at all.

Greetz

Pinbot

No it isn´t, sad but true.

The Pro Version was developed on the Basis of a "Fiji" release wich included H.264.

The official "OEM" Release of the Vista TV Pack lacks this capability, so no H.264 in VMC.

Re: DVBSBridge Pro for DVBViewer beta

by llatem on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:57 am

does this mean that h.264 channels won't be accessible in (vista) mce until MS will support it?

llatem

by The_Iceman on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:12 pm

Indeed

The_Iceman

by llatem on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:53 pm

Darn

Well, lets hope that that MS is going to be really, really, really nice in September

Greetz

Pinbot

Thought this TV Pack was the fully fledged "Fiji" already... It at least registered a MS H.264 decoder in my system but does not seem to work with DVBViewer, reverts to system default...

Edited by CiNcH
Hi,

I am planning to install Vista to my HTPC.

How is DVBViewer working with it?

If you have any experience with following hardware with Vista, I am glad to hear about it :angry:;

Technotrend C1500 DVB-C PCI

Asus EN8600GT OC

SoundGraph iMON Station

Thanks

Yes works fine. :(

• 4 weeks later...

DVBViever 3.9.4.0 works absolutely fine in Vista (32 bit) on my Skystar HD2 / Intel 6750 / 2GB RAM / ATI HD 2600 XP / 1080i HDTV system, except for the tremendous loss of video quality.

No matter what combination of the renderer/video decoder I choose, the quality is extremely bad. The image has no smooth color shades (kind of a light cartoon effect), moving objects move out of sync, making parts of the image moving slightly earlier than others, and it is overall very fuzzy appearing out of focus. Overall very annoying, while the OSD is perfect!

I recorded programs (both SD and HD) and when played in DVBViever their quality is exactly the same as the live program (unacceptable) while when played in MediaCenter they are just perfect.

Needless to say DVBViewer on the same system had awesome video quality with XP! It's video quality has been the reason I selected it.

I'd love to link DVBViever with Media Center (which I believe it will solve the issue) however I'm not ready to give up on HDTV channels.

Does anyone else notice the same? Is that because I compare it with XP?

Shall I just go back to XP and sell my Vista Ultimate license on eBay?

Max

You know there are some issues with ATI drivers - more specifically way too aggressive temporal noise reduction which sometimes causes severe ghosting and other problems. There are registry hacks for hidden settings like this. You might consider trying them. Google for

"TRDenoise".

Hope it helps :)

You know there are some issues with ATI drivers - more specifically way too aggressive temporal noise reduction which sometimes causes severe ghosting and other problems. There are registry hacks for hidden settings like this. You might consider trying them. Google for

"TRDenoise".

The CAT 8.8 drivers I am using have adjustable sliders in the control panel for both edge-enhancement and denoise.

DVBViever 3.9.4.0 works absolutely fine ..... except for the tremendous loss of video quality.

Try installing the latest Catalyst drivers (the complete ones, with CCC). They offer quite a few extra options for configuration.

Thank you Valt and Frogster for your help.

I found a complete setting tweak for ATI cards which I installed and... it made my day! The quality has returned to what I was experiencing under XP.

If I focus on details (watching SDTV on the 37" LCD at 30 cm distance) the picture is now somehow a little more "grainy", continuously toggling every half a second between smooth as it should and grainy. Of course that disappears as long as you move out to a more adequate distance for watching SDTV. HDTV is now perfect!

I plan to read about the effect of each parameter changed and play with fine tuning, when I have time.

Later I found and tried the CCC controls recommended by Frogster and they don't seem to make any visible difference to the image, anyway I'm very happy now!

I'd recommend the administrators to place such enhancement in a more visible place!

Again, thank you for your help!