Jitter with 8500GT

Seasport

P4 3GHz, Win XP MCE

8500GT GPU with H.264 h/w acceleration running

Cyberlink H.264/AVC Decoder (Azurewave)

Using VMR 9 renderer

DVB-T with MPEG4. Everything is working well. CPU is about 20% or less. Not dropping frames.

However, getting jitter which is most noticeable during panning - not smooth. VMR9 renderer properties in DVBViewer is showing jitter of about 9ms on 720p channel. Is better on 1080i channel - jitter is about 3ms.

Also DVBViewer is showing frame rates of about 37 on 720p channels which are 50 fps. What is that about??

I've read that there may be a problem with the Purevideo engine on 8500 & up Nvidia GPU's.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

I've read that there may be a problem with the Purevideo engine on 8500 & up Nvidia GPU's.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

I use VMR7 with similar hardware and same codec. I had problems with some HD channels - there was sometimes jitter and slight going out of sync and rendered framerate wasnt raising very fast. Overclocking GPU helped in my case.

I use VMR7 with similar hardware and same codec. I had problems with some HD channels - there was sometimes jitter and slight going out of sync and rendered framerate wasnt raising very fast. Overclocking GPU helped in my case.

Bit more of an insight into this.

I've been playing around with Graphedit and looking at the Directshow filter chain. Now using the PowerDVD 8 codecs.

Still getting about 37fps and 9ms jitter with 720p but transitions seem pretty smooth now.

What I have found is that the reference clock for the filter chain is derived from the audio renderer (& thus from the sound chip). This is the way that Microsoft implemented Directshow. If I disable the clock in Graphedit, the framerate jumps up to just under 50fps and the transitions are really smooth. Jitter goes to zero. So the sync. with the reference clock is limiting the frame rate. The only problem is that the sound loses sync with the picture when I disbale the clock (which is understandable I guess).

I believe this is a well recognised issue. There is a utility program called reclock which allows you to rejig the reference clock away from the audio renderer. I'll look into this.

Can anyone provide some ideas on how I can fix this problem? Is 37fps on 720p OK?

• 3 months later...

RDSExtractor

OK I have put the ini and .exe the DVBViewer directory, launched the app and up comes a blank app with german dialouge. I have no idea what to do next or what this thing does. I am trying to improve the playback on BBC HD, running Vista AMD +64 dual core 6000 (yes it has EVR) currently testing the CoreAVC decoder..... HD3870 with Azurewave DVB-s2. This site is not very good at documentation and there is no support email. OK so I may be new to this stuff but any product is only as good as its' documentation and support.

Anyone else have any issues with the COREAVC decoder and screen sizes? I put a post up some days ago but no replies, I also emailed coreAVC but they don't seem to talk to their customers!!

... currently testing the CoreAVC decoder..... HD3870

Why are you trying to use software only codec with a card that supports hardware decoding? I personally found that coreavc is pretty poor for anything but progressive videos. What you need is to get cyberlink H.264 decoder with hardware acceleration that works (aka pretty much only the newest versions).

Why are you trying to use software only codec with a card that supports hardware decoding? I personally found that coreavc is pretty poor for anything but progressive videos. What you need is to get cyberlink H.264 decoder with hardware acceleration that works (aka pretty much only the newest versions).

Many Thanks for the response. I am quite new to all this and had no idea as what best to use with the ATI HD3870. The documentation that comes with the Azurewave (twinham) is non existent and not sure what it support in terms of hardware decoding. When you say with a card that supports hardware decoding are you referring to the ATI Graphics card or the DVB-S2 card?

Any hints tips really appreciated.

Frank

The HD3870. Think you are currently using TMT decoder under Vista? So switch on DXVA 2 within TMT decoder properties and set DVBViewer to 'Enhanced Video Renderer'.

The HD3870. Think you are currently using TMT decoder under Vista? So switch on DXVA 2 within TMT decoder properties and set DVBViewer to 'Enhanced Video Renderer'.

Hi, I am using DXVA 2.0 ((via Arcsoft software) and it seems OK. I enclose a picture with info about various items. The thing that I am not sure about is wheter my Video card is configured correctly. CPU Core1 seems fairly busy but ATI card is only at 10%.. Does this mean the ATI card is not handling the hardware acceleration?

Your comments appreciated

post-63025-1216749296_thumb.jpg

support.zip

Hmmm, GPU is clocked at 700 MHz, so quite some things seem to be going on their. You can't see the load that the H.264 decoding puts onto the GPU as this is not done within the shaders but within a co-video-processor (UVD). What you see is the load of the deinterlacing pixelshader. But 10% seems quite low. My 3650 is at about 40% for 1080i material (clocked at 600 MHz and with less shaders compared to your 3870). But CPU usage seems to high.

CyberLink PowerDVD H.264 decoder also seems quite good when it comes to DXVA.

Hmmm, GPU is clocked at 700 MHz, so quite some things seem to be going on their. You can't see the load that the H.264 decoding puts onto the GPU as this is not done within the shaders but within a co-video-processor (UVD). What you see is the load of the deinterlacing pixelshader. But 10% seems quite low. My 3650 is at about 40% for 1080i material (clocked at 600 MHz and with less shaders compared to your 3870). But CPU usage seems to high.

Hi, not sure what happened to the GPU clock. I have just done the auto tune on the HD3870 and it is now showing correctly. I have also selected Cyberlink H.264 decoder (use DxVA ticked and I have chosen Force Bob) seem to work OK. Watching BBC HD and GPU is at 4%. Thanks for the advice.

Hi, not sure what happened to the GPU clock. I have just done the auto tune on the HD3870 and it is now showing correctly. I have also selected Cyberlink H.264 decoder (use DxVA ticked and I have chosen Force Bob) seem to work OK. Watching BBC HD and GPU is at 4%. Thanks for the advice.

Forgot the picture after auto tune in CC ...

post-63025-1216758936_thumb.jpg

Many Thanks for the response. I am quite new to all this and had no idea as what best to use with the ATI HD3870. The documentation that comes with the Azurewave (twinham) is non existent and not sure what it support in terms of hardware decoding. When you say with a card that supports hardware decoding are you referring to the ATI Graphics card or the DVB-S2 card?

Any hints tips really appreciated.

Frank

I am refering to video card. In my experience best results (video quality wise) are Cyberlink codecs (H.264 and MPEG2) + VMR7 renderer with VMR Fix. Also as I said - not all the version of cyberlink actually work... Personally I had codecs shipped with PowerDVD7 that came with the DVB card + downloaded update for them from cyberlink.

Edited by Valts
I have chosen Force Bob

Why do you do that? Put it to Auto..

You can now open the CyberLink H.264 decoder properties while CTRL being pressed. Then you see the extended properties. The ATi is decoding if profile is 'Bitstream'.

CPU usage should be pretty low now and GPU usage higher than on the above screenshot due to 'Auto' Deinterlacing which uses the pixelshaders to deinterlace in case of DXVA.

Have unravelled the mystery of the ATI GPU clock. After Mine went back to 700Mhz I thought I had a problem.

The GPU clock on the latest ATI cards will fall back to a slower speed when the GPU is not been used very hard.

I tested this out by running the demo version of CRYSIS at High Setting and if you open up CCC (the overclock Page) you will see the clock changing frequency and yes at one point it went up very high 875 and at 99% ...... and it survived.

I also had DVBViewer running an HD channel - Media Theatre running a DVD and media player playing a video and the ATI card coped admirably - the last item was running in a second screen .......

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ...I have got rid of CoreAVC ...now I have settled for Arcsoft H264 decoder which seems better than Cyberlink H264. I have discovered that FFdshow raw filter was interfering and causing blur and have disabled it. Now blur problem is much better.

At present getting fairly decent display.

Frank