Creating DVDs with subtitles

PeterausMelbourne

Hello All,

I am trying to create DVDs of TV shows in Australia on free-to-air with subtitles.

This for a deaf relative who is not good at using a computer. So I just want to create DVDs that go into a normal DVD player connected to a regular television.

I am not technically minded so I dont understand a lot of finer technical details.

From reading of the forums I have attempted the following.

1. recorded the show using in DVBViewer saving it as a TS file with the subtitles on.

This worked very well in that I can replay these files on the computer and see the subtitles easily.

2. The next thing I did was demux??? the TS file using ProjectX this split up the file into several files.

I got a ac3 m2v mp2 files. I dont know if any of these contain the subtitle part.

3. I then tried to use a program called ConvertXtoDVD, hoping that this would take the split up files and create a dvd file.

Unfortunately it was only interested in looking at the TS file. When I created the DVD it did not have the subtitles on it.

Can any one help me out there. Where am I going wrong? Which demuxed file should the Subtitles be in?

Is there another easy program that can create the subtitles DVD?

Any help would be appreciated.

But please.Keep it simple for my simple brain. >_<

Thank you.

Regards

Peter

Where am I going wrong? Which demuxed file should the Subtitles be in?

First record in TS format, demux using ProjectX. (If you have subtitles you must do all cutting with ProjectX) *.mv2 contains video, *.mp2 audio (maybe ac3 also, not used in Finland) and subtitles are in *.sup (DVB subtitles) or *.srt (teletxt subtitles). I personally use freeware DVDAuthorGui for authoring http://download.videohelp.com/liquid217/dv...i.pl?p=download. With DVDAuthorGui push "add title" and select video file, then audio file, subtitles will be added under "extra" button add/edit subtitles (for *.sup you must select right file type after "add subtitle" after that just "AuthorDVD". DVDAuthorgui will create audio_TS and video_TS folder which you then burn to your DVD using Nero or what ever burning software.

Assuming you can get the file to them easily enough, you don't need to do any of that. Simply download and install VLC, start playing the video, select 'Subtitles' (under 'Video'), click on the one you want and it displays them happily.

Regarding VideoReDo, the latest Beta version of TVsuite can now edit .TS files without losing the subtitles so you can top and tail the recordings, remove any adverts, and supply a nicely finished programme - although of course to then give it to someone else is against the law... >_<

Everyone who has used it rates VideoReDo as the best mpg editor by a long way and now that it can edit our recordings without losing the subtitles, it's a dream come true. It can burn the edited programme to DVD but I'm not sure if it will include the subtitles, I haven't tried that yet, but if not I'm sure it'll be able to do it soon.

Simply download and install VLC, start playing the video, select 'Subtitles' (under 'Video')
Well I ques that it is not so simply to install VLC is standard DVD player, if you want playback in PC you don't need VLC for that, also DVBV can do it
So I just want to create DVDs that go into a normal DVD player connected to a regular television.

Yes I can see the subtitles very well using DVBViewer. So alls well as long as I use the computer. Its trying to get it onto a DVD.

I have tried ProjectX many timesover on different TS files and cannot get any subtitles file either a SUP or a SRT its very puzzling.

I have looked up many forums and everyone seems to be able to get a SUP. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the Australian teletext syetem which maybe different

from the European system.

I have looked at all the prgrams listed above but am having no luck....I am sure I need the elusive SUP file.

Looks like I have to keep digging.... >_<

Thanks for all the suugestions so far....

....I am sure I need the elusive SUP file.
Yes you need *.sup file. You must have in recordings settinsg (TS options) DVBsubtitels selected otherwice you don't see them in your recordings at all. Here is what kind of setting I am having in ProjectX for subtitles, other settings are like there are as default.

Hi IRa, thanks for all your help.I have made some progress. I reset ProjectX and started again. I was able to produce a SRT not a SUP >_<:(

But this is big improvment as I think this might work.

However, when I tried to author a DVD in DVDAuthorGUI i get an error

Run-time error 75

Path/File access error

I even get this when I dont include the SRT file.

I think there is something not right. For when I press author DVD it asks for a file name(which I assume is the file its going to create) but it says the type of this file will be FOLDER????

I think its because i am using Vista maybe.

I will try it on XP tomorrow.

I am sure I am very close now.

Thanks for your help.

I was able to produce a SRT not a SUP
Are you sure that your brodcast contains DVB subtitles (they are bitmaps) *.srt is created according teletext subs.
However, when I tried to author a DVD in DVDAuthorGUI i get an error
Make sure that no special characters are used in any file names (for excample it does not understand scandinavian letters). Or you maybe you are using same name that already exists
For when I press author DVD it asks for a file name(which I assume is the file its going to create) but it says the type of this file will be FOLDER????
Yes, the file name DVDAuthorGui asks is will be the name of the folder that it creates (where video_ts and audi_ts folder will be), adding titles (and subtitle files) you have already told which files you wont to use.

I am not sure if DVDAuthorGui works with Vista, Author of program has asked more people to test it with Vista during last autum, no new release has come out after that.

In Australia the subtitles are on Page 801 teletext so you have to set up ProjectX to see these. Netmask has produced some screen shots that help with the setup. Please note that Ch7 subtitles requires an extra tick in one of the boxes.

http://www.pvr-tools.com/netmask/ProjectX_Screenshots.zip

I have found that .srt has been the most reliable format, but you can choose whatever format that you like. After ProjectX I usually process the .srt with Subtitle Workshop (free) to clean up any problems and save as another .srt.

Add the fixed .srt in the appropriate box when loading into GUI for DVDAuthor. This technique has worked for me, without problem.

In the future, I am looking forward to the forthcoming upgrades of VideoRedo TVSuite that will allow all this to be done in one step.

Well I quess that it is not so simply to install VLC is standard DVD player, if you want playback in PC you don't need VLC for that, also DVBV can do it

True enough :)

OK, here's a better solution then. Run your .ts recording through ProjectX as before, ticking the 'Rename MPEG audios to .mpa' box in the 'Extern' section of 'Presettings'. Download and run Muxman, select your .m2v file in 'Video', your .mpa file in 'Audio' and your .sup file in 'Subpictures', select the 'LB' box (maybe not necessary, I've only just started playing with it) and you have a DVD with selectable subtitles.

This works for the DVB subpicture subs here in the UK, you are using .srt so it may be different but the 'Subpicture' option selects "Usable sub files" so hopefully it will work just as well for you.

I've only tried this on a short clip so using it for real may be slightly different but it looks as if it should work OK and the result certainly works with VLC. The only disappointment is that VideoReDo cannot see the subs but I'm guessing that's something wrong with VRD as they are still developing that area.

Edited by SimonP