x64 dvbviewer?

buttonsNI.

i see progdvb is trialing a x64 version of their software and i was wondering what DVBViewer has lined up in the way of its software doing something simalar?

1. In case of a 64-bit edition you'd need everything 64-bit, also decoders, plugins a.s.o., as you can't mix 32-bit and 64-bit in one process.

2. AFAIK no 64-bit Delphi compiler exists.

3. There would not be any benefits.

Edited by CiNcH

4. there are no plans for it.

BTW. It's always a good thing to understand the matter completly before asking such things, so you are not seen as a fool falling for some useless (at least for about the next 4 years) hype... :idiot:

1. In case of a 64-bit edition you'd need everything 64-bit, also decoders, plugins a.s.o., as you can't mix 32-bit and 64-bit in one process.

2. AFAIK no 64-bit Delphi compiler exists.

3. There would not be any benefits.

so why are progdvb doing it?

you talk about delphi compiler ,i take it this is something to do with writing the DVBViewer software?

Delphi is the programming language DVBViewer is written in. If no compiler exists there is no chance you'll ever see a 64-bit edition... (don't know anything about Delphi plans but I guess development is not too active nowadays!?)

Then try ProgDVB and tell as about benefits and which problems you ran into...

If you can convince us... there will most likely still be no 64-bit edition of the DVBViewer in the near future :idiot: due to the things mentioned above.

Prog IMHO always concentrated on the wrong things, at least that's my opinion.

Edited by CiNcH
Delphi is the programming language DVBViewer is written in. If no compiler exists there is no chance you'll ever see a 64-bit edition... (don't know anything about Delphi plans but I guess development is not too active nowadays!?)

Then try ProgDVB and tell as which problems you ran into. Also tell us about benefits a.s.o.

If you can convince us... there will still be no 64-bit edition of the DVBViewer soon :idiot: .

ok i understand why DVBViewer will NOT be in x64,but from your experience can you understand how and why progdvb are doing it in x64?

Not at all. You should learn first what the benefits of 64-bit are. Think you are not aware of that.

Only applications taking advantage of > 4 GB main memory and well optimized applications benefit from 64-bit. A DVBViewer x64 edition may even be slower as every address and integer will be 64-bit instead of 32-bit, thus occupying more memory.

Edited by CiNcH
Not at all. You should learn first what the benefits of 64-bit are. Think you are not aware of that.

Only applications taking advantage of > 4 GB main memory benefit from 64-bit. A DVBViewer x64 edition may even be slower as every address and integer will be 64-bit instead of 32-bit, thus occupying more memory.

your right i should learn i have been nieve in believing the hype in the advertising of x64 processors when the x2 amd came out and because i had the processor i thought i needed the OS to go with it,i honestly thought this was going to make everything faster but now i realise there are programs were speed is unimportant ie. sat tv on pc.

If you do not have > 4 GB main memory and applications taking advantage of it, the result of using a 64-bit OS is only problems, incompatibilities and constraints without any benefits, you should have learnd that by now...

Edited by CiNcH
If you do not have > 4 GB main memory and applications taking advantage of it, the result of using a 64-bit OS is only problems, incompatibilities and constraints without any benefits, you should have learnd that by now...

next system i build will be x86 for definate

The last I heard Delphi x64 will be released but I’m not sure when. I’m considering moving to Vista x64 so the lack of support for DVBV is a bummer. I’m going to demo it soon and if I like it I’ll have to consider whether the loss of DVBV is enough to keep me on XP x86. I’m looking for an application that remembers the playback position for MP2 files anyway so I might as well look for something that supports x64. I have a feeling that it may be a bit early to move over to x64 at this point.

Edited by smilingcrow
According to German Wikipedia article, the Delphi 2009 IDE should be come with an native Win64 compiler in mid of 2009.

I just hope Delphi is still commercially viable at that point; I use it myself.

DVBViewer runs well under Vista 64...

I tested it over the weekend with a Terratec 2400i DT under Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 and it seems solid. I only tested live TV, recording from the EPG and playback of files so can’t comment on other features or plugins.

Update: DVBV isn’t automatically remembering the playback position for video files under Vista x64. Is there a setting I need to tick to get it to do this? I thought it happened by default!

• 3 weeks later...

I am running into problems using the DVBViewer on XP x64. Each time I select a channel, the application freezes

and the BDA device stops, i.e. I have to reboot.

Are there known problems running under x64 ?

- Wolfgang