Disable Windows Aero as an option to improve HD with EVR performance

Imbalanced Zero

Is it possible to add an option to disable Windows Aero?

I accidently ran DVBViewer with the Renderer as Overlay. This disabled Aero. I then changed renderer to EVR and it's perfect.

Previously when I used EVR with Cyberlink Filters and Aero was enabled, HD would stutter or seem to be having problems with interlacing.

I'm using Nvidia 8600M GT. When running PowerDVD and watching Blu-ray that disables Aero too. I have read in the latest Nvidia drivers that they have made performance enhancements to run HD and Aero, but it only applies to the latest cards like 9800.

I know you can change this in compatibility settings under properties in Windows, but I think it might be easier to explain to people if it's an option in the program. It honestly makes it so much better :jump:

Hope this helps people with their HD issues. Thanks for the great efforts that are put into this program.

Many Thanks

Well would that not be a little odd: DVBViewer disabeling aero? Surely if you find the EVR works better without aero you can disable it yourself....

• 1 year later...

I confirm what Imbalanced Zero wrote, with same configuration.

DVBViewer+EVR+AERO On+CyberlinkH.264+HD = stuttering problems

without Aero no stuttering but some tearing when a window menu is over EVR rendering.

Do we lose something on EVR without Aero On?

Considering the situation of my last message....

I have to add that is you disable Aero from desktop and you run DVBViewer in HD with dxva (Cyberlink or Arcsoft codec) you have always tearing.

Is you run DVBViewer with aero on, then you switch from EVR to overlay (aero become off automatically) and then again you set EVR, for some strange reason you avoid tearing and stuttering and everything is correct.

Not so confortable procedure but seems it works.

Hope in a fix in next release...

Edited by Franky692

MS had already gave a solution.

Right click on your DVBViewer shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Check "Disable desktop composition" -> Done.

Whenever you click on this shortcut, Windows Aero will be disabled automatically and be restored after DVBViewer was closed.

Edited by Kenny Lam
Right click on your DVBViewer shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Check "Disable desktop composition" -> Done.

Whenever you click on this shortcut, Windows Aero will be disabled automatically and be restored after DVBViewer was closed.

Thanks !!!

I will try this evening. I hope the effect is the same that i get following the described procedure... because as I wrote if I simply disable aero and I use windows basic I get tearing on HD with cyberlink or arcsoft.

Edited by Franky692

I also simply disabled aero and then ran DVBViewer using cyberlink codecs for hd. result was tearing.

I tried the solution mentioned above (for about 3-4 minutes) with some mkv files I watched before and I could not see any tearing. Normally there always was after switching the frequency from e.g. 50HZ to 24HZ.

Will do some more tests when I find the time, but at the moment I'm very confident about the tearing-problem.

greetz