2-way DiseqC problem

kwunman.li@spgs.org

Location South England, Hauppage WinTV Nova-S USB2

2-way switch, Astra 28.2 on position 1 & Astra 19.2 on position 2 (both coming from separate dishes with dual output LNBs)

I believe DiseqC settings should be Simple A & Simple B

I can get Astra 19.2 channels NO matter what DiseqC settings I use

I can NOT get anything (predefined or scan) on Astra 28.2

In fact when I do scan of Astra 28.2 I get channels from Astra 19.2

It drives me mad

Using card supplied WinTV 6 I have no such problems

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Seb

Done more trials (on 2 separate PCs - convienience of the USB) & it seems that I can get ONLY reception via the switch of the satellite that is connected to input 2

I swapped inputs (oposite to first post) and can get ONLY AStra 28.2 channels

Using WinTV works fine [removed]

Seb

Anybody?

Tried Hauppague Support & of course they are not interested as WatchTV v6 works

So (in they opinion) it must be DVBViewer "fault"

I personally think it is incompatibility with the BDA driver (but what do I know...)

Thanks

Seb

Recently means sometimes before 3.9.4. But I am not sure whether your card is covered by this change (only know that Hauppauge DVB-S2 products with Conexant PCI bridges are) as Hauppauge is only OEM for some of their products and API's may not be consistent through all product lines.

Edited by CiNcH

Simple A and Simple B are not fully supported by DVBViewer (except SkyStar2), since the interface of many BDA DVB-S devices doesn't support it. Internally DVBViewer translates it to PosA/OptA and PosB/OptA.

However, for Hauppauge cards it could be supported, because there is a special interface allowing to communicate more directly with the driver. Up to now nobody really needed it... anyway, I'll have a look at it.

Simple A and Simple B are not fully supported by DVBViewer (except SkyStar2), since the interface of many BDA DVB-S devices doesn't support it. Internally DVBViewer translates it to PosA/OptA and PosB/OptA.

However, for Hauppauge cards it could be supported, because there is a special interface allowing to communicate more directly with the driver. Up to now nobody really needed it... anyway, I'll have a look at it.

Ok, lets forget the SimpleX

Tried ALL the other combinations of the PosA/B-OptA/B & no matter what I ONLY ever get what is on input 2

Seb

2-way switch

What kind? There are DiSEqC switches, that understand DiSEqC commands (Pos/Opt), and more simple ones, that respond to tone burst signals (Simple A/:(. The latter is not yet supported for BDA devices.

What kind? There are DiSEqC switches, that understand DiSEqC commands (Pos/Opt), and more simple ones, that respond to tone burst signals (Simple A/:(. The latter is not yet supported for BDA devices.

Sorry, do not remember make, but it is FULL 2 (also tried 4 way) DiSEqC switches

It works perfectly when used with WatchTV v6 (so somehow it is DVBViewer that fails here)

Seb

Another attempt to pinpoint the problem: Try TransEdit (see members area). Its hardware handling differs a bit from DVBViewer Pro. Try different DiSEqC settings for Astra 28°E (and don't forget to click Apply). Does scanning work?

Another attempt to pinpoint the problem: Try TransEdit (see members area). Its hardware handling differs a bit from DVBViewer Pro. Try different DiSEqC settings for Astra 28°E (and don't forget to click Apply). Does scanning work?

OK, tested Transedit (without making any changes to Settings) and.... ALL works as expected!!

LNBs are being switched, I can scan each LNB & get Preview just fine

Tripple checked & the Frequencies are correct in DVBViewer channel list, but DVBViewer does NOT display ANYTHING from 19.2 on LNB PosA/OptA

Any further help appreciated

Seb

Ok, two conclusions

- The WinTV Nova-S USB2 is not recognised correctly as Hauppauge device by DVBViewer Pro, or there is a bug, dunno... I'll draw the attention of the DVBViewer Pro devs to this matter.

- Most likely DVBViewer GE will work (see members area). It can be installed additionally in a separate folder. Read the included ReadMe!

Please attach your TransEdit.ini here. In order to find it, click Info -> Configuration Folder in TransEdit.

please start the DVBViewer with: start -> programs -> DVBViewer program group -> support -> DVBViewer (debugmode), do some tuning and then create a support.zip and attach it here.

please start the DVBViewer with: start -> programs -> DVBViewer program group -> support -> DVBViewer (debugmode), do some tuning and then create a support.zip and attach it here.

Thanks for the support guys!

DVBViewer GE works OK (only I do not speak German, but it is not such biggy), switching the LNBs correctly

Here is the support.zip generated in the debug mode

I hope the Pro version will also work with this card one day

support.zip

TransEdit.ini

only I do not speak German, but it is not such biggy

That's why I told you to read the ReadMe (how to get rid of the German UI...).

DVBViewer GE detects Hauppauge devices by name (successfully in this case) and uses the according DiSEqC interface. AFAIK DVBViewer Pro detects them by querying the driver - maybe your driver version doesn't provide this function in the expected way. Here DVBViewer Pro switches flawlessly between 4 satellite positions with a Hauppauge Nova S2 HD.

Unfortunately Microsoft didn't specify a usable function for sending DiSEqC commands via the BDA interface, so it has to be implemented vendor specific. That's the source of the trouble.

P.S. Did you already try to change the "Stop stream while tuning" and "New tuning method" settings in DVBViewer Pro (see Options -> Hardware)? They might do something - Hauppauge drivers are a bit picky in this respect. I'm not really good in reading DVBViewer Pro debug logs, but it looks like the card has been detected as Hauppauge device.

Edited by Griga

It is detected correctly as NovaSPlus.

Go options -> Hardware and try

stop stream on tuning

and

New tuning method.

First each one alone and then together.

It is detected correctly as NovaSPlus.

Go options -> Hardware and try

stop stream on tuning

and

New tuning method.

First each one alone and then together.

Done every combination of this possible (not that many!)

Nothing works.

Same problem with DVB Dream, with only 1 difference (it only picks LNB1)

So it must be the BDA driver for the application (from what I understand reading all possible)

Is Nova-S Plus (model 790) the same as Nova-S-USB2 (model 233)?

sebus

Another question: Does it work in TransEdit with SimpleA/SimpleB? I've just checked my code - sending the tone burst is already implemented for Hauppauge cards (to my surprise, seems I'm getting forgetful :)), and exactly that is missing in DVBViewer Pro.

YES, in TransEdit (scan & preview) the folowing combinations work

LNB1 - Astra 19.2 SimpleA or PosA/OptA

LNB2 - Astra 28.2 SimpleB or PosB/OptA or even PosB/OptB

But in DVBViewer GE SimpleA/SimpleB do NOT work

What works is ONLY

LNB1 - Astra 19.2 PosA/OptA

LNB2 - Astra 28.2 PosB/OptB

Does that make it even more confusing?

Thanks for help

Seb

PS

Same odd problems with DVB Dream 1.4i, that only works with LNB1 (LNB2 does not switched)

Does that make it even more confusing?

Yes. Completely. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless it seems to be clear that your switch somehow responds to this tone burst thing, and it will be implemented in DVBViewer Pro. So when the next version is out, you can try, and then we'll see...

BTW: I'll release a new GE version soon (this night or tomorrow) with some additional ITV HD handling. Maybe you are interested - see here. They've taken measures to hide the video stream, so we are taking measures to unhide it :). Reception should be possible with your device, because it's not DVB-S2 (same applies to BBC HD). You'll need a fast PC and a good H.264 decoder, however.

Thanks, I might as well try a different switch to see if that could be the culprit... and report back in few days

Seb

UPDATE:

Replaced switch with Vialuna SDS 424 WSG 4x1 DiSEqC Switch

Now I can reveice both satellites with these settings:

DVBViewer Pro

Astra 19.2 - SimpleA

Astra 28.2 - PosB - OptA

DVBViewer GE 2.5

Astra 19.2 - PosA - OptA

Astra 28.2 - PosB - OptA

Settings in DVBViewer Pro are really strange, but work fine (settings in GE are what one would expect)

Could not get anything (or partially only) work when connected to ports 3 & 4

Seb

DVBViewer Pro

Astra 19.2 - SimpleA

Astra 28.2 - PosB - OptA

Seems that switching in DVBViewer Pro does NOT always work. I can watch channels on 19.2, then switch to 28.2 & if I want to watch 19.2 I get nothing.

Close & re-open the DVBViewer (or even better, unplug the USB from the card in meantime) makes it work again.

So something is not completly right!

Seb

..read above. No simple A/B in the DVBViewer pro !!

Yes, SimpleA is THE ONLY WAY I can get it working with this card at all, so no all that is written is always true!

• 3 months later...
Location South England, Hauppage WinTV Nova-S USB2

I can get Astra 19.2 channels NO matter what DiseqC settings I use

I can NOT get anything (predefined or scan) on Astra 28.2

I am having a similar but even worst problem. I published it few days ago but no one responsed. full details in http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=29441. I may have put it in the wrong thread. I put there all the info, including the settings.zip file.

In brief, I have the same problem with the following differences:

1. I use Skystar HD 2 and not Hauppage.

2. The problem remains even if I use the latest GE version or the TransEdit tool. It just refuses to swith LNB. I can only see port A (which is Hotbird 13.0).

Please respond. Any help will be much appreciated.