Graphics card recomendation Full H264 acceleration

guidomichellios

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a graphics card which will offer full h264 hardware acceleration for use with DVBViewer. It must have dual DVI ports and be under £60. I'm currently looking at an ATI 3650 or Nvidia 8500. Anybody got any personal recommendations? I'm trading in my Nvidia 7900GTO which just seems to struggle a little without full acceleration.

Thanks. ;)

Guido

I am done with nVIDIA. Have both, a nVIDIA 8600 GTS and an ATi HD 3650. The HD 3650 is way better! 8500 is bad anyway, it has all the nVIDIA VMR/EVR-Bugs and also weak shader performance which degrades deinterlacing quality.

I am done with nVIDIA. Have both, a nVIDIA 8600 GTS and an ATi HD 3650. The HD 3650 is way better! 8500 is bad anyway, it has all the nVIDIA VMR/EVR-Bugs and also weak shader performance which degrades deinterlacing quality.

Hi, do you get smooth h264 viewing with the ATI HD 3650? I need to be able to use the dual screen feature to feed my 26" Samsung HDTV without the jerkiness of the the Nvidia card.

Running Dual-Display too (extended desktop). No problems here with a 720p projector at least. Dual-Display support seems better with ATi anyway. If I switch on the projector, Dual-Display is automatically enabled. With nVIDIA I had to restart the PC first to then be able to manually enable the extended desktop option (under XP at least, under Vista the nVIDIA driver seems to do a better job than under XP).

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a graphics card which will offer full h264 hardware acceleration for use with DVBViewer. It must have dual DVI ports and be under £60. I'm currently looking at an ATI 3650 or Nvidia 8500. Anybody got any personal recommendations? I'm trading in my Nvidia 7900GTO which just seems to struggle a little without full acceleration.

Thanks. :)

Guido

Hi,

SAPPHIRE's (ATI) 2600XT HD card with Cyberlink PowerDVD-8 H264 codec works fine for me - however, the 2600 card has only one DVI port and one Analogue VGA port.

With this card, my 2.8GHz Athlon processor runs under 50% on HD sources, eg BBC HD, thanks to the 2600 card taking the processing strain!

I have a 2600 XT GDDR4 pci-e with dual DVI, works fine in vista with two displays. With HA and h.264 cpu usage ~ 10-15%. I also tested 8600gt GDDR3, works fine too, but it doesn't have as good picture quality as with ati and no full hardware VC-1 processing. Also with 8600GT OSD quality is rubbish with high-res osd skins (EVR). However 8600GT has one advance: It can handle canal digital nordic h.264 streams which seems to be something off-standard, 2600XT can't handle those without problems. 2600XT breaks the video stream to blocky mess when changing channels, or using timeshift (does happen also with humax 2000 set top box). :)

I have a 8500GT and I can watch BBC HD or ITV HD with a CPU usage of 1 or 2% using PowerDVD decoder. This is using overlay and WindowsXP. I'm not using this computer for anything else than running DVBViewer so i don't really care about shaders or 3D performance of the card...

however, the 2600 card has only one DVI port and one Analogue VGA port.

I've got 2600 Pro on AGP. It's 2xDVI and no D-SUB.

CPU usage is 10-12% on HD.

What drivers are you using?

Thanks

Whitey

Right now it's 8.4 AGP Hotfix (tried 8.5 but unstable for me).

Now i looked in task manager and dvdviewer uses only 2-5%. Rest is other processes working in background.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching ORF HD and Astra HD promo at 25-35% CPU usage. It's using Cyberlink codec + Vista 32bits (EVR).

My card is an ATI 3850HD 512mb DDR3. My CPU is AMD64 3800X2

Is 25-35% too much?

I've noticed worse H264 perfomance in Overlay mode.

I have a 2600 XT GDDR4 pci-e with dual DVI, works fine in vista with two displays. With HA and h.264 cpu usage ~ 10-15%. I also tested 8600gt GDDR3, works fine too, but it doesn't have as good picture quality as with ati and no full hardware VC-1 processing. Also with 8600GT OSD quality is rubbish with high-res osd skins (EVR). However 8600GT has one advance: It can handle canal digital nordic h.264 streams which seems to be something off-standard, 2600XT can't handle those without problems. 2600XT breaks the video stream to blocky mess when changing channels, or using timeshift (does happen also with humax 2000 set top box). ;)

Anybody using the ATI HD3650 for watching Nordic Canal Digital HD? I curently use the 8500, no problems with CD HD-channels except the TV 2 Sport HD, but the overall quality is below my expectations.

regards

DolKbg

I am using a 2600XT and it works really well on TV 2 Sport HD1 and HD2

Quality is not that great, expected better since it is 720p 50fps

On my other PC I needed to upgrade to the lastest PowerDVD 7.3 patch

to get fluid motion.