Switching to another frequency not always work, so what if... "au

tamcy

Hi all,

First I would express my thanks to this great product. I have a thought that may give users like me a better experience but I'm not sure if it is feasible. Anyway let me try raise it out.

I found that tuning to another frequency does not 100% work. In fact I still don't see a software that can perform a "100%-success" tuning. 2-3 out of 10 tuning attempt would only results in a plain black screen. I don't know what's wrong internally (hardware? software? driver? OS?) but the result is (1) I see nothing, and (2) it records nothing (The frequency matters because switching to another logical channel of the same frequency doesn't work). The recorded .ts is just 0-1KB, and I presume this is due to no data received by the software.

It is no big deal when I watch it live - just do a rebuild graph, or even worse tuning to another frequency and tune it back should do the trick. But this glitch causes big pain to timer recording. You know it's really frustrating when you get back home and find that the preset timer gives you a 1K file.

I doubt if there's anything I can do to make sure the tuning always success. But can I say when the tuning fails nothing will come across the source filter? If it is the case, then is the idea of "auto re-tune" possible? So for example the application will try (for a given number of times, e.g. 10) the frequency tuning again if no data received for 3 seconds?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
I also meet the same problem. I second tamcy's suggestion.

Same here, it would be great to get it working every time (especially that WatchTV bundled with Hauppauge card works each time fine & same for DVBViewer GE (so it is possible)

Seb

Yes I can confirm that this happens very often. And solution is to Rebuild Graph or just switch to another channel and then back again. I also have a feeling that this happens more often with the latest release of DVBViewer Pro, but I cannot confirm this.

I use Cyberlink mpeg2 and H.264 decoders for DVB-S/S2 reception and my TV-card is HVR-4000 from Hauppague. I also have a WinTV-CI USB and a Conax CA module.

Regards

DolKbg

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I realize the problem is a combination of two problems.

First is related to the graph. After you switched channel, in case of failure, you just see a blank screen. I successfully worked around the problem by changing "Video Renderer" (under DirectX section) to Overlay Mixer. After I changed, I can see a 1 second programme info on the lower half screen EVERY time.

However, it does not fix the entire problem.

Second is related to receiving signal/data from the tuner. I don't know how to describe it exactly. Even the problem 1 fixed, I am still not able to see empty content. The status bar will be like this:

post-61061-1216748451_thumb.png

I can select Rebuild Graph repeated until it works. At the time of success, the status bar will be like this:

post-61061-1216748467_thumb.png

It indicates that the software "knows" it is in a bad state. I hope it can be solved permanently. Or at least, it rebuilds the graph when it sees the problem.

Michael

well taking a look at the receptionstrength of 40% for unsuccessful tuning and seeing 48% for successful tuning, would say you have either reception or driver problems.

the software knows nothing. It only shows the datarate calculated by the demuxerflter (dvbsource filter).

I can confirm that the problem is the same here even with 68% signal strenght...

I always stop and re-start DVBV in my own case...

And yes, it happens more often in the latest version...

Cheers!!!

You use exactly the same dvb-hardware and the same driver version? only then you can compare reception values.

Based on the informations delivered in this thread, it must be either bad reception, bad settings or a trashed windows/decoder system.

Hi Lars,

post-61061-1217005780_thumb.png

Even I got 51%, it also failed. It seems the reception strength is not the factor. About 20% to 30% of chance it fails to display content when I change channels.

I am not sure if it's a driver problem. How can I check?

Is it possible to "reset" the driver when the program receives no content while it got a normal reception figure? Actually, it affects not only viewing TV, but also recording. I record a news programme daily. It fails to record 1 or 2 days out of 7 days. The problem is pretty annoying.

Thanks!

Michael

well taking a look at the receptionstrength of 40% for unsuccessful tuning and seeing 48% for successful tuning, would say you have either reception or driver problems.

the software knows nothing. It only shows the datarate calculated by the demuxerflter (dvbsource filter).