How to get a EPG when using xmltv or any other EPG?

poggs

Hello,

I have got DVBViewer working fine with my NOVA s2 card. All channels including ITVHD are found just fine. However, I just dont have an EPG. THe one built into DVB gets now and next info for a couple of channels. I have searched high and low for a manual or decent guide to getting XMLTV to work but with no joy.

Is there a manual for this or any other tv grabber anywhere? THere is nothing built into either xmltv or dvbviewers manuals that explains it.

Ta.

XMLTV has some grabber. There are not for all Stations EPG sources witch allow this king of use.

If there is no legal sources for your stations nobody can help you here in this board.

As you mention ITV HD I assume that you are in the UK so Alan Birtle's excellent XMLTV grabber that can use the Radio Times as a data source is the obvious choice. http://www.birtles.org.uk/xmltv/

Wonderful. thank you. That works perfectly when used in combination with importxmltv I now have a populated epg.

Yippee!

As you mention ITV HD I assume that you are in the UK so Alan Birtle's excellent XMLTV grabber that can use the Radio Times as a data source is the obvious choice. http://www.birtles.org.uk/xmltv/

Just a follow up since I've been struggling today with the same questions:

For users not living in UK, download the latest xmltv and install it on your PC (see http://www.xmltv.org for more info). Run the xmltv.exe in a DOS window with the following parameters:

xmltv.exe tv_grab_XXXX --configure

where tv_grab_XXX must be replaced with actual grabber info (see readme file for xmltv for more info).

Create a shortcut on your dekstop or script file which contains the following command:

xmltv.exe tv_grab_XXXX --days 7 --output C:\Program Files\DVBViewer\myXMLTV\myXMLTVinfo.xml

(again tv_grab_XXXX must be replaced with your local configuration).

Run the shortcut or script and observe that the myXMLTVinfo.xml is created. I guess you now have an XML file which you can use in the Auto Import Tool. I haven't tried this yet, but it works with myXMLTV.exe.

Finally one question to all the developers of this fantastic piece of software: Why do we need to do all this in order to get EPG data? Why isn't it possible to catch the EPG data from the TV-stream in same way as standard satelitte tuners do? AFAIK, I only get the current and next program from the stream. I know you have an option for Data Highway, but I cannot figure out how the get it working with Canal Digital on Thor 5.

Regards

DolKbg

Edited by DolKbg

Configured the Auto Import XMLTV tool using the settings for XMLTV as above. Works fine except that I cannot get to run in Windows Scheduler during Startup or Login. But I created a shortcut to Auto Import XMLTV tool and placed it in the Windows Startup folder. I now have an automatic update of the EPG data and startup of the DBVViewer whenever I log on.

Note that you may have to create a DOS bat-file in order to execute the xmltv grabber in its home directory. I created one which contained the following two commands:

cd "C:\Program Files\DVBViewer\xmltv"

xmltv.exe tv_grab_no_gfeed --days 7 --output ..\xmltv_no.xml

Another solution may be to install the xmltv in the same folder as ImportXMLTV.

Great tools, thanks!

Regards

David

@DolKbg

Why isn't it possible to catch the EPG data from the TV-stream in same way as standard satelitte tuners do?

IT IS POSSIBLE and already done: it's automatic unless you excluded the specific channel from the EPG receprion (see the Channel editor...)

AFAIK, I only get the current and next program from the stream.

This behaviour totally depends on the specific channel provider you tune in, there is nothing that DVBViewer can do more than receive what is transmitted...

I know you have an option for Data Highway, but I cannot figure out how the get it working with Canal Digital on Thor 5.

Here I can't help you, you must try to find yourself (or ask them) if Canal Digital is transmitting MediHighWay or SiehFern data from one or more of his transponders...

;)

Edited by Gioxy

Thanks a lot for your answers Gioxy, I will give it another try and see if I can get some more EPG data from DVB. If not, I will ask CD for more info.

Regards

DolKbg

Found the source for EPG from Thor 3/5. Used TransEdit to scan each frequency until I found the EPG data at 12456V. But how do I get DVBViewer to load this information automatically? I have tried to define this frequency in Options menu, both for MediaHighway and Siehfern Info without any success. Is there a "hidden" command somewhere to tune to this frequency in order to update the EPG data?

The only solution I have found is to tune to the channel (VH1) that shares the same frequency as used by the EPG data.

Thanks and regards

DolKbg

Hummm... ;)

A generic "EPG data" name doesn't mean at all that is a MHW / Siehfern data stream...

But lets suppose it is...

To correctly cach it, once you've writed down the correct MHW info in the proper page you have also to set, in the "Settings / Options... / EPG/Teletext" page:

• check "Do Not Receive EPG Data" (it refers to standard DVB-EPG data, that if present can overwrite you MHW data...)

• check "Receive MediaHighway data" (...of course ;) )

• check "Persistent EPG Data" (I suggest compression 0 or 1)

Then, to download the MHW EPG, you have to tune some channel in the same transponder (I suggest you a audio only channel to speed-up the process) and, at least for the first time, wait at least 5 minute without changing channel: depending on the data size it can take a relative long time (when there where a Italian MHW on HotBird it took about 2 or 3 min to complete...); when the download is complete you get a short OSD advice about it.

Then my suggestion is to open the EPG window, close it and close also DVBViewer to be sure that the EPG data are saved; unless, if for some reason DVBViewer crash, you lose the whole downloaded EPG...

I hope that's all... I mean: if the first statement is true, you surely will finally get your 5-7 day EPG...

:shifty:

It seems like it's generic EPG. But it works just fine without any Mediahighway or Siehfern settings. I just need to tune to the VH1 transponder and my EPG is instantly updated for the next coming days. A full 14-days update is transmitted around 04:00 AM so I guess I must stay tuned on the transponder in order to receive a "full package".

Thx for your assistance Gioxy!

regards

DolKbg