HD Channels dxva Power DVD 8

guidomichellios

Hi,

I have the following setup. ATI HD 3650, DVBViewer 3.9.4.0 and the Cyberlink Power DVD 8 codec. When i go to the codecs settings from DVBViewer and i tick Under miscellaneous - use dxva is this dxva1 or dxva2? I keep hearing about dxva version 2 and wondered whether i should be seeing this. I only have the trial vesion of Power DVD 8 so wondered if this was the full codec?

Cheers

Hi,

I have the following setup. ATI HD 3650, DVBViewer 3.9.4.0 and the Cyberlink Power DVD 8 codec. When i go to the codecs settings from DVBViewer and i tick Under miscellaneous - use dxva is this dxva1 or dxva2? I keep hearing about dxva version 2 and wondered whether i should be seeing this. I only have the trial vesion of Power DVD 8 so wondered if this was the full codec?

Cheers

If you are using Vista (you did not mention your operation system) and the enhanced video renderer (EVR), DXVA2 is used by the decoder, although PowerDVD does not show this explicitly within the filter dialog

If you are using Vista (you did not mention your operation system) and the enhanced video renderer (EVR), DXVA2 is used by the decoder, although PowerDVD does not show this explicitly within the filter dialog

Hi yes i use Vista, This is what i get when i go to the power dvd 8 codec.

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dxvadf2.jpg

So i'm assuming its using the dxva2 features.

Thanks

Guido

What about your CPU load when viewing a hd channel?

If DXVA2 is used by the codec, the cpu load has to be less than 10%

Hi yeah CPU usage is low usually <10%.

The main problem is that its just not smooth when watching HD football etc.

What about your CPU load when viewing a hd channel?

If DXVA2 is used by the codec, the cpu load has to be less than 10%

In a AMD64 3800X2, 2GB RAM and ATI 3850 HD system, CPU load is 25-35%. It's under Vista 32bits SP1 and PQ is amazing (HD Euro 2008 looks gorgeous).

I've tried Overlay but video is juddered.

See you.

The main problem is that its just not smooth when watching HD football etc.

Which channels are affected? Think that earlier versions of the CyberLink decoder have problems with 720p. Install the latest patch. You can see the issue when checking the EVR properties (view -> filters -> EVR). Framerate drops below 40 fps for those channels.

CPU load is 25-35%

And we know where this load is coming from... Just stop telling us how amazing ORF 1 HD is (at least you did not explicitly name the channel this time...).

Edited by CiNcH
Which channels are affected? Think that earlier versions of the CyberLink decoder have problems with 720p. Install the latest patch. You can see the issue when checking the EVR properties (view -> filters -> EVR). Framerate drops below 40 fps for those channels.

And we know where this load is coming from... Just stop telling us how amazing ORF 1 HD is (at least you did not explicitly name the channel this time...).

Where is that CPU load coming from?... Astra HD promo ;) looks nice but causes 25-35% CPU load

Edited by ramonchin

Then something seems wrong. 25-35% sounds too much since the HD 3850 features UVD and if enabled should take CPU activity to below 10% for a X2 3800 I suppose... Or maybe Cool'n'Quiet pretty much clocks down your CPU. My C2D E6420 clocks at 1.6 GHz and is occupied below 10%.

So at least clock frequency should be added to your observation. Otherwise the CPU load value means nothing...

Edited by CiNcH

May be Cool'nquiet, but if video is fluid, I shoudn't worry.. Should I?

On the other hand, can this ATI accerelerate VC-1 video under vista? It's said that VC-1 format isn't DXVA friendly on Vista...

On the other hand, can this ATI accerelerate VC-1 video under vista? It's said that VC-1 format isn't DXVA friendly on Vista...

Shouldn't be a problem. Never heard about issues or made any experience with issues myself. VC-1 is fully accelerated through DXVA under XP and DXVA 2.0 under Vista for ATi GPU's.

Edited by CiNcH
Shouldn't be a problem. Never heard about issues or made any experience with issues myself. VC-1 is fully accelerated through DXVA under XP and DXVA 2.0 under Vista for ATi GPU's.

But DVBViewer isn't using VC-1 Cyberlink codec... Should I change merit on Radlight?

But DVBViewer isn't using VC-1 Cyberlink codec

DVBSource connects to CyberLink, Haali does not. So you can only ask Haali to support the CyberLink connection format...

Best combination is Haali + MPC Video Decoder. Fully supports DXVA 1.0 and DXVA 2.0 (for both, H.264 and VC-1). So no need to use the commercial CyberLink decoder...

Edited by CiNcH
DVBSource connects to CyberLink, Haali does not. So you can only ask Haali to support the CyberLink connection format...

Best combination is Haali + MPC Video Decoder. Fully supports DXVA 1.0 and DXVA 2.0 (for both, H.264 and VC-1). So no need to use the commercial CyberLink decoder...

last MPC Video Decoder is 1.1.0.0 isn't it?

Not really, some SVN builds are available in the big Doom9 thread containing quite some DXVA fixes according to the changelog. It should work quite well in DVBViewer if both, Haali Demuxer and MPC Video Decoder have the highest merits among all suitable demuxers and decoders (and if DVBSource is disabled within DVBViewer for TS file playback).

Edited by CiNcH
Not really, some SVN builds are available in the big Doom9 thread containing quite some DXVA fixes according to the changelog. It should work quite well in DVBViewer if both, Haali Demuxer and MPC Video Decoder have the highest merits among all suitable demuxers and decoders (and if DVBSource is disabled within DVBViewer for TS file playback).

I can't find WMvideo decoder DMO on Radlight in order to down merit... DVBViewer always load this + haali

I have only done my tests under XP...

RadLight does not support DMO's. Dunno which application is suited to change merits for DMO's. Would be possible to go via the registry...

Edited by CiNcH
I have only done my tests under XP...

RadLight does not support DMO's. Dunno which application is suited to change merits for DMO's. Would be possible to go via the registry...

I'm looking for MPC video codec on Doom9, but I only find MPC Home cinema player...

That's the drawback currently. However, it some works within latest MPC-HC build. So it is most likely a problem with the latest version of the standalone decoder provided. Seems it is too early for a complete solution, but MPC Video Decoder will hopefully become this solution for all H.264 and VC-1 file playback at least. We will see if some day, DVBSource also connects properly to MPC Video Decoder...

Hi, sorry sorry for late reply. The channels are BBC HD and ITV HD. I'm only using the latest cyberlink trial version so maybe i need to buy the full version?