Change Video Processor Mode for EVR

Imbalanced Zero

Is it possible to add an option to change Video Processor Mode?

Under EVR Properties there is a page for Video Processor Mode. If I stop the graph and change Video Processor Mode from {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285} (Pixel Adaptive Deinterlacing) to B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78 (Bob Vertical Stretch), performance appears to be a lot smoother especially when watching HD Video like BBC HD. Pixel Adpative seems want to work out what type of deinterlacing is appropriate for the scene, whereas using Bob Vertical Stretch seems to be fixed.

Does that make any sense?

If I stop the graph

How? AFAIK DVBViewer Pro doesn't allow to stop a live playback graph, at least not in the control bar.

and change Video Processor Mode from {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285} (Pixel Adaptive Deinterlacing) to B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78 (Bob Vertical Stretch)

Pixel Adaptive Deinterlacing is the default? Is it displayed as text or only as GUID in curly brackets? Here (under XP) I see something like "Video processor has not been selected". AFAIK DVBViewer doesn't do anything in this respect. Maybe Lars can say more about it.

Anyway - the available modes are hardware/driver dependent, and according to this also may depend on the video (media) type. That makes it a bit complicated. Maybe mode selection can be provided by a plugin...

The Pro doesn't set anything, it relies on the defaults. So take a look at the settings of your graphics driver maybe you can change the default behaviour there.

How? AFAIK DVBViewer Pro doesn't allow to stop a live playback graph, at least not in the control bar.

I'm using Geforce 8600M GT with Cyberlink PowerDVD 8.0 Codecs. I connect to the graph in graphedit. Pause it, stop the graph, then change the video processor mode in EVR Properties and press play back in Graphedit. It seems to get the compatible modes from a key in the registry set by PowerDVD (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cyberlink\PowerDVD8\HwDeInter).

If I try and change the video processor mode without stopping it in Graphedit I get this (In the picture I have tried to choose B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78 but the actual current mode is 6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285) :

post-30943-1214743596_thumb.jpg

Edited by Imbalanced Zero
It seems to get the compatible modes from a key in the registry set by PowerDVD

It's very unlikely that a Microsoft video renderer reads Cyberlink keys. It rather querys the graphics card driver for the available modes.

Anyway, in the end it comes down to making your preferred setting permanent. That's what a plugin could do, but additionally it must provide means to select the mode, similar to the EVR property page, and that looks like some work... I will think about it.

It's very unlikely that a Microsoft video renderer reads Cyberlink keys. It rather querys the graphics card driver for the available modes.

Anyway, in the end it comes down to making your preferred setting permanent. That's what a plugin could do, but additionally it must provide means to select the mode, similar to the EVR property page, and that looks like some work... I will think about it.

Thanks for looking into it Griga. It's always good to have options, I hope it isn't too complex.

Here is a very rough and user-unfriendly solution for testing purpose (attached):

- Store the files EVRMode.dll and EVRMode.ini in DVBViewer\Plugins

- Launch DVBViewer. A new" Set EVR Mode" item will show up in the Plugins Menu. It allows to switch the plugin on (checkmark) or off. As a consequence DVBViewer will perform "Rebuild Graph", if the EVR is present in the filter graph. Please note that DVBViewer Pro does not allow to rebuild the filter graph during file playback. You will have to select the file again for the new setting to take effect.

- When launching DVBViewer for the first time after the plugin has been installed, it copies the file EVRMode.ini to the Configuration Folder\Plugins (see About -> Configuration Folder in DVBViewer) and uses this copy henceforth.

- The Mode entry in EVRMode.ini, e.g.

Mode={B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}

specifies the GUID for the EVR Video Processor Mode that shall be selected by the EVRMode plugin if it is active. The default GUID is the one for Bob Vertical Stretch, as posted by Imbalanced Zero above. It is hardware-dependent and will probably only work with his type of graphics card. Specifying a different GUID (resp. different mode) requires copying it by hand from the EVR property page, closing DVBViewer and changing the mode entry in the file EVRMode.ini (the one in Configuration Folder\Plugins, if already present!) accordingly by using a text editor. The curly brackets are mandatory!

EVRMode.zip

I think Pixel Adaptive for HD is taxing my Graphics Card a bit too much. Like you said it's all hardware dependent.

Bob Vertical Stretch is great for HD and Pixel Adaptive for SD. Previously SD channels, no Video Processor Mode was chosen so this had added a few options.

I was going to say it sticks with the same mode, but I wasn't reading your post properly! The settings are saved in the Configuration Folder!

Edited by Imbalanced Zero
Bob Vertical Stretch is great for HD

Maybe for interlaced HD like 1080i, but not for progressive HD like 720p. Sooner or later someone wil demand auto-switching according to the HD type, I fear. :wacko:

Maybe for interlaced HD like 1080i, but not for progressive HD like 720p. Sooner or later someone wil demand auto-switching according to the HD type, I fear. :bye:

Not only can you program, you can read minds too! :wacko: