alternative (better) search for video jump?

patti

Hi there, the position search when viewing timeshifted programs, recordings or media files is quite limited at the moment. It only allows +XX/-XX steps and when you need to skip the first 2 hours of a recording to see what is at the end it is pain to go 4 times +30 minutes. How about a better search funtionality?

Here is an idea taken from Topfield Masterpiece digital recorder: when you need to search forward/backward you press PLAY and a searchbar appears at the top of the screen showing where you are in the program at the moment (in Topfield it is yellow bar with green line showing the position). You then use the RIGHT/LEFT ARROW KEYS to navigate the green line forward/backward and when you release the arrow key program continues from that point. When you press PLAY again the search bar disappears or it disappears after a set time, for example 30 secs (it would be nice to be able to adjust this time in options). Sensitivity of the search could also be adjusted in options to accomodate different remotes. The search bar would show where you are in a recording with that green line and also minutes/seconds display and total length of the recording.

How about that?

thanks for a great piece of software :rolleyes:

Hi there, the position search when viewing timeshifted programs, recordings or media files is quite limited at the moment. It only allows +XX/-XX steps and when you need to skip the first 2 hours of a recording to see what is at the end it is pain to go 4 times +30 minutes. How about a better search funtionality?

Here is an idea taken from Topfield Masterpiece digital recorder: when you need to search forward/backward you press PLAY and a searchbar appears at the top of the screen showing where you are in the program at the moment (in Topfield it is yellow bar with green line showing the position). You then use the RIGHT/LEFT ARROW KEYS to navigate the green line forward/backward and when you release the arrow key program continues from that point. When you press PLAY again the search bar disappears or it disappears after a set time, for example 30 secs (it would be nice to be able to adjust this time in options). Sensitivity of the search could also be adjusted in options to accomodate different remotes. The search bar would show where you are in a recording with that green line and also minutes/seconds display and total length of the recording.

How about that?

thanks for a great piece of software :rolleyes:

For some reason Lars simply doesn't/won't even reply to you with regard to this.

I've asked twice about why we can only use incremental jumps, rather than being able to FFW through things (and I have a toppy too, and your suggestion is excellent) and he wont acknowledge my question.

For some reason Lars simply doesn't/won't even reply to you with regard to this.

I've asked twice about why we can only use incremental jumps, rather than being able to FFW through things (and I have a toppy too, and your suggestion is excellent) and he wont acknowledge my question.

Maybe it is something in DVBViewer that makes it impossible/really difficult to implement and they haven't got the time for it so far? With my suggestion there would be no need for fast forward with picture because my idea works so that only the sliderbar moves and the picture resumes only after you release the RIGHT/LEFT arrow button. So it is kind of a +/-XX jump but not a fixed one like the current one. Of course a fast forward with live picture would be the ultimate best in searching.

• 2 months later...

hello,

how about an % input?

if only incremental jumps are allowed I would prefer to input a percentage to get close to the point I like to go on watching....

hallo,

wie wäre es mit einer prozentangabe?

eine taste zum erhöhen der prozentangabe, eine zum verringern.

oder eine zum erhöhen der zehner und eine zum erhöhen der einer.

nach 9 einfach bei null wieder anfangen.

das hätte den vorteil auch bei SEHR großen dateien bequem bis zu einem bestimmten punkt springen zu können.

so funktionierte es damals beim LiteOn LVD-2010 und ich habe das immer als clevere und beste Spulalternative empfunden...

ich wäre sehr dankbar, wenn man das skippen in prozentwerte ändern könnte. (oder das eine tun, ohne das andere zu lassen...)

sorry for writing in german, but i am unable to explain that in english...

merci...

niculs

hello,

how about an % input?

if only incremental jumps are allowed I would prefer to input a percentage to get close to the point I like to go on watching....

hallo,

wie wäre es mit einer prozentangabe?

eine taste zum erhöhen der prozentangabe, eine zum verringern.

oder eine zum erhöhen der zehner und eine zum erhöhen der einer.

nach 9 einfach bei null wieder anfangen.

das hätte den vorteil auch bei SEHR großen dateien bequem bis zu einem bestimmten punkt springen zu können.

so funktionierte es damals beim LiteOn LVD-2010 und ich habe das immer als clevere und beste Spulalternative empfunden...

ich wäre sehr dankbar, wenn man das skippen in prozentwerte ändern könnte. (oder das eine tun, ohne das andere zu lassen...)

sorry for writing in german, but i am unable to explain that in english...

merci...

niculs

Good luck getting a reply from someone on this....

The developers seem to shutdown the moment anyone even mentions FFW/Jumping. How in God's name it was even implemented in the first place, is a profound mystery.

Edited by Kuni
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I've just thought about the same question (I'm a user for some days now :-) ...

There are some other good examples of DVR software which is able to forward in different ways (I have seen all of your descriptions already somewhere).

DVBViewer is a very powerfull and handy tool yet and maybe it will help if some more of us will ask for this RFE (Request for Enhancement) because I think mostly all of us will appreciate such a functionality.

Does anybody know how to address this to the developers?

reg

lutzi