No 4-way Diseqc with Vista

Sk3wby

Hi,

I have a Hauppauge Nova HD-S2 connected to a 4-way Diseqc switch like this:

Input 1 = Astra1 19.2

Input 2 = Astra2 28.5

Input 3 = Hotdird 13.0

Input 4 = Not used (yet)

Setup works fine with old Technomate and is fine with my newly acquired DVBViewer 3.9.4.0 under XP using POSA/OPTA,POSB/OPTA,POSA/OPTB etc.. to change input.

But i cannot get Diseqc to work with Vista64. Astra1 works fine but any other Diseqc selection gives me no signal.

Can anybody help? Is this a Vista problem or DVBViewer? Is there a way to use the string command as a work-around?

Have tried re-installing Vista, DVB card driver and DVBViewer only. Have also tried DVBViewer 3.9.4.25BETA, but still only Astra1 - any ideas?

Motherboard:ASUS P5-KE WiFi ap, intel chipset (latest drivers from ASUS)

DVB-S2:Hauppauge Nova HD-S2, driver ver:2.122.26109.0 (latest from Hauppauge)

NVidia 8600GTS, driver ver:175.19 (latest vista64 driver from NVidia)

support.zip

DVBViewer uses a Hauppauge specific BDA extension for sending DiSEqC commands. Most of the work is done by the Hauppauge driver, particularly the timing. So it might be as well a driver problem under Vista 64. Or is there any other app that succeeds?

Have you already tried to change the Options -> Hardware -> Stop stream while tuning & New tuning method settings? Maybe they do something...

Thanks for your fast reply. Ticking "stop stream while tuning" makes no difference. I will try the PowerCinema software that came with the card after backing up my hard drive. Will post results shortly.

Have contacted Hauppauge about the problem and they have said:

"Good morning,

I was told by my colleague (satellite expert) that not all the switches work with Our card, he suggested to try it with another switch."

I can't see that this is the case or why would it work with XP?

They then sent me a link to the newest drivers, the same i am already using (tried them anyway - no change - fine under XP, Astra 1 only with Vista64.)

Can anyone with same setup confirm it working or not working for them? Diseqc 1.0 / Hauppauge NOVA HD S2 / Vista 64bit

Does switching between horizontal/vertical and high band/low band ( > 11700 MHz / < 11700 MHz) work under Vista 64?

I'm asking that because

- there is a registry key for configuring the output voltage of the Nova S2 HD. However, Vista 64 does strange (and sometimes misleading) things with registry keys for 32 bit software. Something similar to virtual store...

- DiSEqC is based on a modulated 22 khz signal, that is also used for high / low switching.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it out in a few days and post back - Need to backup XP before i can switch back to Vista again... Want to stick with Vista but need my TV...

I feel that i shouldn't really be asking here as the problem is not just with DVBViewer, as you pointed out. I have posted on Hauppauge forum but no reply and no reply as yet from the 2nd e-mail i sent on the 24th. So thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry i've been so long checking this out but i managed to kill both my hard drives while playing with PC - one had a backup of the important stuff from the other! You live & learn...

Back to the Diseqc problem.

Have a fresh copy of Vista64 on a new HD. Newest drivers installed for Nova HD-S2. Can get GoTV (12662 V) and EinsExtra (10744 H) on Astra1 so it seems H/V & high band/low band are working. Just no DiseqC switching - selecting any channel on Hotbird or Astra 2 result in Vista circle spinning around mouse pointer for ~5 seconds then a blank screen. Changing back to a channel on Astra 1 works fine.

Just been trying a full scan on Astra 2 (PosB/OptA) - take ages - no signal at all. Was playing with tuning a bit more and tried PosB/OptB - I have no LNB connected to this input BUT after switching to this output and then to another I can select any channel on any input - 1,2 or 3 (Astra1,Astra2,Hotbird). Wierd! I have now set channel '0' to use input 4 (PosB/OptB) so i can go to any channel on any satellite AFTER selecting channel '0'. Temporary fix but not ideal...

Is there another way of selecting DiseqC input other than PosA/OptA,PosB/OptA.etc..? I might buy another DiseqC switch and try that, as that was Haupaugge's only suggestion but i cannot understand why this one works without fault under XP.

I'm off to download the TV Pack for Vista and see if VMC can detect my switch properly.

Thanks again for your help Griga!

Each time before changing the satellite position - but only when i need position 2 & 3. I can view any channel on input 1 (Astra 1) at any time by just clicking it. To view input 2 or 3, i have to select channel '0' (input 4) once first. Once i have gone to input 4 then back to input 2 i can view any of the Astra 2 channels. Same with Hotbird (input 3) - all Hotbird channels work after selecting channel '0' (input 4) once. The problem is only when switching to input 2 or 3.

VMC didn't find my card... No HD anyway...

• 2 months later...

The DiSEqC issue seems to be caused by a Dynamic Current Limiting (DCL) protection of Hauppauge cards.

DCL can be switched off in the Registry. However, this entails the danger of damaging your hardware in case of short-circuit (if the inner conductor of your antenna cable touches the shielding). Only apply this fix, if you really need it. After applying it you must avoid a short-circuit by all means. Shut your PC down and disconnect it from the power supply before connecting/disconnecting the antenna cable!

Here is the meaning of different values in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HCW88BDA\Parameters\LNBVoltage_Ctrl

as far as investigated up to now. They apply to Hauppauge Nova S Plus, Hauppauge Nova S2 HD and Hauppauge HVR 4000 cards. Please note: A change requires rebooting your PC.

LNBVoltage_Ctrl | vertical | horizontal | card unused | Dynamic Current Limiting

0 ......................... 13,8 V ...... 18,8 V ........ 0 V .................... on

1 ......................... 13,8 V ...... 18,8 V ........ 0 V .................... off

2 ......................... 12,8 V ...... 17,8 V ........ 0 V .................... on

3 ......................... 12,8 V ...... 17,8 V ........ 0 V .................... off

4 ......................... 13,8 V ...... 18,8 V ........ 12,8 V ............... on

5 ......................... 13,8 V ...... 18,8 V ........ 12,8 V ............... off

6 ......................... 12,8 V ...... 17,8 V ........ 12,8 V................ on

7 ......................... 12,8 V ...... 17,8 V ........ 12,8 V................ off

LNBVoltage_Ctrl bit by bit:

- Bit 0 set: Switches DCL off.

- Bit 1 set: Lowers the LNB voltage by 1 V

- Bit 2 set: Supplies the LNB with power, even if the card is not used.

Thanks to qwr for researches!