New alternative MCE Remote input plugin

This plugin enables the MCE remote control for DVBViewer. The difference to the MCE Remote plugin found in the DVBViewer member area is:

* Works only when DVBViewer is the foreground window

* Don't change audio settings of the system

* C++ source code included

Tested environment is XP MCE 2005. I've had some development problems and hardly anybody bothered to help so it took a bit longer to complete.

Download: http://www.planetdvb.net/utilities/MceRemote

• 3 weeks later...

I tried it but DVBViewer doesn't recognize the plugin. Looking in the event viewer shows that MceRemote throws 3 errors:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: SideBySide

Event Category: None

Event ID: 32

Date: 16-08-2008

Time: 18:58:25

User: N/A

Computer: GALMOK

Description:

Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Event ID: 59

Description:

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC90.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Event ID: 59

Description:

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\DVBViewer\Plugins\MceRemote.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Seems your dll requires a compiler to be present and I wonder why... or maybe it just requires the support libraries. In any way, I am not sure what... (adware? there is adware called sidebyside...)

Ok, that solved the problem and the plugin loaded. :-)

And it is great that the volume buttons now only affect DVBViewer volume and not system volume (and vica versa when DVBViewer doesn't have input focus). Ditto with Mute.

I am still wondering how I get to use the "Start" button on the remote, though. Your plugin also doesn't register the button at all. Any idea?

Hmm when quitting DVBViewer it crashes. Clicking Close on the crash box (standard windows crash box) I just get a new crash box and then a new crash box and so on. It doesn't stop...

Also, on before some crashes I get an additional window with an error that I didn't manage to capture (window didn't refresh and it temprarily was behind another window). DVBViewer didn't save my key-setup due to the crash so I'll have to try again...

The additional error windows contains this:

Error

Runtime error 216 at 046F1490

Also, after having closed about 30 error boxes in a row, DVBViewer finally gets the message and quits.

I have tried to find the situation when DVBViewer crashes and it seems to only occur when you quit DVBViewer after having assigned a button from the MCE remote control using the MceRemote plugin. Once it is setup, you can start, view the button config, and quit without error. But change a button to use MceRemote and DVBViewer will crash upon exit and possible lose the button config. I lost only some of the changes I made and eventually I got all buttons configured.

I only have MceRemote as input plugin (but have a few others listed, although not enabled).

The following dll's are present in my plugin folder:

ImportCSV.dll

myMCEIr.dll

myMCE2005.dll

ASFStreaming.dll

firedtvremote.dll

x10remote.dll

EPGplus.dll

NetStreaming.dll

UniStreaming.dll

MceRemote.dll

Regarding skins I am using the default skin.

I just tried with only MceRemote.dll in the Plugins folder and changing button config to use MCE remote control buttons still crash DVBViewer when I exit it.

To find out if it's a plugin conflict you have to remove all other plugins temporarily (backup your settings before). This is a general troubleshooting strategy not only applying to DVBViewer.

• 3 months later...
This plugin enables the MCE remote control for DVBViewer. The difference to the MCE Remote plugin found in the DVBViewer member area is:

* Works only when DVBViewer is the foreground window

* Don't change audio settings of the system

* C++ source code included

Tested environment is XP MCE 2005. I've had some development problems and hardly anybody bothered to help so it took a bit longer to complete.

Download: http://www.planetdvb.net/utilities/MceRemote

Could this be made to work even it DVBViewer doesn't have input focus?

• 10 months later...