DVBviewer and ffdshow

albert N

Hi all,

I have recently installed a skystar 2 and purchased DVBViewer. Fantastic software :) I have tried many different programs but this is exactly what i'm looking for.

I have a HTPC P4-2.4G - 512 Mb 533 with the latest version of DVBViewer.

I'm using marfi renderer and sonic decoders. (Although i have tried many)

The HTPC has theatertek and FFDshow installed to a barco G808

I have the following problem (mainly use Euro1080):

When starting DVBViewer it crashes due to FFDshow.

However when in FFDshow i uncheck the option -raw video- (or -YUY2- in later versions) DVBViewer starts without any problem.

I have tried different versions of FFDshow and all show the same problem.

Also I have tried to change video and audio decoders.

Any ideas ? I don't like to change options every time i change from theatertek to DVBViewer. If it helps i can post the ini file.

I know that problem... if FFDShow is configured for raw video, it automatically includes itself in every video playing filter graph (between video decoder and video renderer), and disables the hardware acceleration of the video decoder (the MPEG2 decoding support of the graphics card), resulting in a much higher processor usage.

It still works on my PC (1.6 GHz P4), but with 1 fps or less... I captured some Euro1080 pictures with FFDShow, and in this case the stop and go was quite useful :)

However, that's why I keep raw video switched off permanently and confine myself to using FFDShow as DivX decoder (in this respect it's really great!)

What you can try: Use a script that manipulates the according registry value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\ffdshow\rawv

launches DVBViewer and finally restores raw video. The following VBScript should do the trick:

Set Shell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
'Read the current value
value = Shell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\GNU\ffdshow\rawv")
'Set raw video to 0
Shell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\GNU\ffdshow\rawv", 0 ,"REG_DWORD"
'launch DVBViewer and wait on return
Shell.Run """c:\programme\DVBViewer\DVBViewer.exe""",5,true
'restore the old value
Shell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\GNU\ffdshow\rawv", value ,"REG_DWORD"

Copy it to a text editor, adjust the DVBViewer path, if necessary, save it as DVBViewer.vbs on your desktop and double-click it...

Up to now I've found no better solution.

Griga

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply, i'll try that :)

I use FFDshow as a plugin for Theatertek with minor use of sharpen and denoise. This works very well especially on a large screen.

If i understand it correctly the basic idea to include FFDshow in the filtergraph is not bad.

The only problem is that we don't have the processing power (yet) for it. especially with the HDTV high bitrate streams.

Probably the best would be to make it user selectable.

Thanks again,

Albert

Hi Griga,

Your solution works perfect :)

Just to report my findings:

Included your VBS script

Changed to V2.0 R1

Changed from Marfi renderer to DVBViewer filter. For my setup (Theatertek, euro1080, ffdshow, and reclock) Marfi is too unstable and takes a long time to initialize.

The following works perfect for me:

DVBViewer filter - overlay mixer

sonic cinemaster DS video and audio decoders (were already included with Theatertek)

Regards,

Albert

Hi Albert,

Please advise why the ffdshow is so imported to you,

Once I have tried it to playback DVD's with ZP and the Sonic cineplayer on a Barco 1209s, and I didn't like the results, the ffdshow adds to much EE to the image. if the reason is adding sharpness to the picture I can understand it for a 7inch PJ.

Thanks,

Rittberg

Hi,

you either love or you hate it :)

There is tons of information on AVSforum about this subject e.g.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....threadid=246752

Personally i use only very minor sharpening in FFDshow around 10 on a scale of 100 and don't see much increased EE. I like the digital enhancement, it shows a little more detail and gives the picture a more HD look.

When EE is already present on the source it will enhance it even more.

But again there are many people who don't like it and many that love it :blush:

Hopefully in a few years time we don't need it anymore when we have HDTV and HDdvd. The guys on this forum are doing a very good job to get us started.

The euro1080 HDTV looks awesome on the big screen.

Regards,

Albert

Hi,

Thanks, yes , I can agree with you about the ffshow.

It will be great if it will be a possibility to integrate the DVBViewer with the DScaler in order to improve the Deinterlacing and what I miss is the DScaler LOGO killer which is so imported to CRT PJ.

I already playback HiDef material for long time by D-VHS tapes or HDD received from the US or from Korea (BS-Japanese content) and I can confirm that :

1. It's very addictive.

2. It's very difficult to watch DVD again.

Regards,

Rittberg