Will DVBviewer be COOL and good looking in the future ..

jaketheman

If adding such a "record all episodes" function would be that simple, we would already have implemented it.

I wonder why some people don't use their brain more often. And don't write b*llsh*t like but MP (or whatever) has

such a feature. Without a consistent epg source, it is impossible to avoid multiple recordings of the same show,

just because of the fact that the broadcasters do not send same or equal epg descriptions. We tried several

mathematical approaches, from neuronal networks up to genetic algorithms in order to decrease the amount of false

detections. The error ratio was still too high and to be honest i already get a lot of daffy mails each day and

something like:

"I found a serious bug in the DVBViewer! The program is recording my favourite Teletubbie show multiple times!"

(often are those mails red flagged in order to show me the importance of the content) - such mails would be the

dot on the i.

The only possible way out would to kick the EPG parser completely and to force the user to get a

cheap EPG subscription (39EUR per year) from some internet epg provider - like Sceneo does. In this way such a

function would be quite simple to integrate. I honestly dont think that the most people are willing to pay this

price, especially since i also get multiple prepurchase queries resp. "I want my money back" mails weekly by now.

@Elecardfan: Creating an import XBMC skin feature is a nice idea and could be partially simple to realize and

i coincidentally work at the moment on the skinner - mostly to fix some smaller bugs and problems which appeared

in the past. Anyway the import function can not add 100% compatibility, but i'm quite confident that it could save

work while creating or porting skins.

To all, If you want to improve, feel free to participate in creating skins or skripts, but please stop your

agitated melancholia (especially of the missing WAF factor).

My girlfriend is dealing the software quite well - even if she only uses the zap and record function.

Christian

I do find it strange that ease of use isn't made more of a priority.

Problem #1:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&p=226501

Problem #2:

Every user has his own ideas how the UI and "ease of use" should look like.

Problem #3:

It's more fun working on the technical aspects. Because when a developer has implemented something like support for HE AAC audio, some new DVB card, Popcorn Hour etc., he can be sure to get positive feedback: "Great, you've made it work!" People are happy about it - like the people in Norway, who were waiting half a year for an application being able to play the new audio format used by terrestrial broadcasts. When you have no audio, you don't care so much about the UI, you know... :)

However, when you are doing something in the UI, you inevitably get (because of #2)

I'm sure these concepts are totally and utterly stupid, and that everyone who has implemented them or requested them is also stupid

(from Kuni, see above). Motivating, isn't it?

Well, it doesn't mean that the UI is neglected here. Particularly Lars worked hard on it in the past years. Without him DVBViewer would have never become a HTPC software. And as far I can see (I'm no HTPC freak), he did a pretty good job. But sometimes it must be rather frustrating for him how people respond to it - I don't like this, why don't you do it like that, hey, you got to satisfy my girlfriend/wife ;), it's certainly easy, and if you don't do what I want you must be stupid...

Since DVBViewer development is not commercially oriented at first place, as you might have noticed (only 15 Euro for such a software plus all add-ons, all updates free...), doing what we want to do and what we are interested in is an important point for us - that's how it pays. Most of the work here is done by people in their spare time - that's why you get so much for so little money. And when I spend time with coding besides my professional life (not computer-related), I don't want nasty and demanding people like Kuni to be my boss.

hey, you didn't write the software for youselves

Hey, that's exactly what I'm doing! :lol: Well, not necessarily for my own needs - I did a lot of coding I will never benefit from personally, because I don't have the hardware or I don't live in the country where it is needed. I just like to deal with it and to make things work, and I like to share the results with people who want it and who think it's useful. But certainly not with Kunis.

That's how it is. Love it or leave it.

Perhaps a simple explanation saying sorry we have tried to implement by this method or that method however for this technical reason or that technical reason we have been unable. Then I would be disappointed but understand.

Or yes will try and implement this but its low priority and I can give you no timescale when it will be done. Then again I understand and am happy.

I also understand it must be very time consuming to write such a quality program as DVBViewer and also to keep up to date with everything that is posted on this forum.

But I try and word my posts in a way that are not rude. English is not my first language, and sadly I know no German, and I understand that direct translations don’t always sound the way you mean them. Is it asking too much for the same in return?

Problem #1:

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&p=226501

Problem #2:

Every user has his own ideas how the UI and "ease of use" should look like.

Problem #3:

It's more fun working on the technical aspects. Because when a developer has implemented something like support for HE AAC audio, some new DVB card, Popcorn Hour etc., he can be sure to get positive feedback: "Great, you've made it work!" People are happy about it - like the people in Norway, who were waiting half a year for an application being able to play the new audio format used by terrestrial broadcasts. When you have no audio, you don't care so much about the UI, you know... :wacko:

However, when you are doing something in the UI, you inevitably get (because of #2)

(from Kuni, see above). Motivating, isn't it?

Well, it doesn't mean that the UI is neglected here. Particularly Lars worked hard on it in the past years. Without him DVBViewer would have never become a HTPC software. And as far I can see (I'm no HTPC freak), he did a pretty good job. But sometimes it must be rather frustrating for him how people respond to it - I don't like this, why don't you do it like that, hey, you got to satisfy my girlfriend/wife :blink:, it's certainly easy, and if you don't do what I want you must be stupid...

Since DVBViewer development is not commercially oriented at first place, as you might have noticed (only 15 Euro for such a software plus all add-ons, all updates free...), doing what we want to do and what we are interested in is an important point for us - that's how it pays. Most of the work here is done by people in their spare time - that's why you get so much for so little money. And when I spend time with coding besides my professional life (not computer-related), I don't want nasty and demanding people like Kuni to be my boss.

Hey, that's exactly what I'm doing! ;) Well, not necessarily for my own needs - I did a lot of coding I will never benefit from personally, because I don't have the hardware or I don't live in the country where it is needed. I just like to deal with it and to make things work, and I like to share the results with people who want it and who think it's useful. But certainly not with Kunis.

That's how it is. Love it or leave it.

Oh I see you 'accidentally' forgot to reply to the other 4 or so posts I made previously, merely asking if it could be implemented. The first one which began with "ALL PRAISE DVBViewer Which you ignored.

So I asked again, which you ignored, so I asked again which you ignored. So I asked AGAIN and finally after almost a year, you managed to successfully write "NO" we won't be implementing my request. Seems the only way I could get you to respond was by posting as I did.

So, how about putting the 'poor me, I'm just a hard done by progtrammer' aside, and perhaps start implementing reqesusts? Which from memory doesn't happen very often. Or maybe converting the help/manual to English?

I can offer plenty of motivation, you'll just ignore it

Edited by Kuni
and perhaps start implementing reqesusts?

No way to get me under control with this stupid approach. Your influence on what I will do or what I will not do is zero. Forget it. Don't waste your time.

There are people who managed to gain strong influence on DVBViewer. People who are contributing and cooperating in an intelligent, constructive and positive way. People like Tjod, hdv, CiNcH, Moses (plus some more..) who came here as users and now are moderators and members of the beta testers group. Even Lars and me started as users some years ago. We had some ideas about what could be enhanced in DVBViewer, and we found ways to put it into practice... without uselessly trying to force others to do it for us. That's the way it works.

No way to get me under control with this stupid approach. Your influence on what I will do or what I will not do is zero. Forget it. Don't waste your time.

There are people who managed to gain strong influence on DVBViewer. People who are contributing and cooperating in an intelligent, constructive and positive way. People like Tjod, hdv, CiNcH, Moses (plus some more..) who came here as users and now are moderators and members of the beta testers group. Even Lars and me started as users some years ago. We had some ideas about what could be enhanced in DVBViewer, and we found ways to put it into practice... without uselessly trying to force others to do it for us. That's the way it works.

Wow.

Sorry Griga I thought it Lars was the OP , who I know from past posts is rather, shall we say, abrupt.

I apologise to you completely for my comments, you have been nothing but helpful to me and to many others in the past.

Now Lars on the other hand... :wacko:

• 6 months later...

We all wish, DVBViewer would be cool looking and especially easy to use. But remember, making it look easy is actually the hard part and requires lot of work. We only have two persons who actually live from creating DVBViewer. That is the main programmer Christian Hackbart and his father. Everyone else just works willingly for free. They do an great job though and that is more than one can hope for. Whishes are fine and all that but you can't force it. We can just aid this project and hope the things we want to see change will actually change one day for the better.