Enable DVB viewer to manage multiple tuners at one time

thecaptain2000

Hi,

It could be useful if DVBViewer were able to receive signals from two (or more) tuners at the same time, to be able to watch one program and record another one. Expanding on the same concept it would be useful if these tuners could be on separate cards as I cannot think of one card that has, let's say two satellite tuner. Of course it would be just ideal if the two cards could be associated to the same CI module for decoding.

Renato

• 3 weeks later...
You are joking, right? This works since more than 2 years with a (nearly) unlimited number of dvb-devices.

Well, I guess I'm stupid, I"ve been looking for a way to do just what this poster has suggested. I think I need to set the channel groups up so the A B C groups are set to different tuners? Is there a how to or a faq that addresses this procedure? I've looked through the DVBViewer manual but don't see anything about setting up multiple tuners. I've probably overlooked something? Can you steer me to the light? :wacko:

In the most cases you did not need the groups.

The DVBViewer menage the Tuner automatically.

Only if you have for example two DVB-S cards (with CI and CAM) and two different pay TV subscriptions. You need the channel groups to tell the DVBViewer which card is able t decrypt witch channel.

In the most cases you did not need the groups.

The DVBViewer menage the Tuner automatically.

Only if you have for example two DVB-S cards (with CI and CAM) and two different pay TV subscriptions. You need the channel groups to tell the DVBViewer which card is able t decrypt witch channel.

Ok, I understand now. I don't have CI or cam, I'm in Canada, we have no such thing here. Thanks for your reply.

• 5 months later...

I am sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere, I could not find relevant info. I have the following problem: I have 2 DVB-C tuners (FloppyDTV) installed each with its own CI and CAM (and dedicated subcription card => the same cable provider) in a SERVER PC (runnging DVB server, unicast). The CAM is able to do a DUAL decryption, so I should be able two record from two channels from the same stream (frequency) simultaneously. Since I have 2 identical tuners with identical settings (say both tuned to the same channels 1-100);

Using a CLIENT DVBViewer in gigabyte LAN:

1. I can record from one stream and watch from another as one could expect.

2. However, if I record one channel (payed or free), I can watch another channel (live tv) from the same or different stream but I cannot record a second payed channel from the same stream (I get the notice that no tuner is available) - since tha card has dual decryption option I thought this could have been possible.

3. If I record one payed channel, I can record another one from the other stream (ie.other tuner). But then I can not watch any other channel except these two which I am recording.

How should I set my equipment so I could record TWO channels and watch other channels at least from the same stream (as I thought this might be straight forward)? Is there something that I have missed or misunderstood? Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards.

Edited by aht961

Thanks Lars. Problem is I have 2 tuners, 2 CAMs, 2 payed (twin) cards. Why cannot I use both? Is it because the software cannot handle both? ps: just in order to clarify myself, I am not talking about card sharing or soft cam but 2 subscription cards (twin).

Edited by aht961

? As I said: Per DVB-card and CAM you can receive one encrypted channel. so it's simple math: with two dvb-cards + two CAMs you can receive two encrypted channels at the same time.

• 7 years later...

Lars, I know - what timing, but I found this thread as the closest relation to my struggle, though…

I am quite pleased having had DVBViewer and recording service working for around 8 years now. My use of tuner hardware all along, have been 1 pcs. FireDTV DVB-C tuner card.

Please look at my linked hardware setup -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9i19W8L_bVrVVcwVE5FM0lfb00/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9i19W8L_bVrRmJUMWJjTzczTVU/view?usp=sharing

Yesterday another FireDTV DVB-C tuner card was installed in the same PC and I can get the two cards working, if only one of them are active / in use, under the hardware configuration - I can also use one of the tuners, when both tuners are activated… Problem – as soon as I ‘turn-on’ a second DVBViewer client the system ‘hangs’ – the stream which was ongoing freezes and I have to restart DVBViewer.

The system have added the DVB-C RTSP Network devices – I have tried several combinations of hardware in use – earlier, with only one tuner card, the DVB-C RTSP Network device where active and not the FireDTV DVB-C tuner… I am far from sure which hardware to activate...

Any comment will be highly appreciated - Thanks!

Lars, I know - what timing,

Contacting Lars has become quite difficult...

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/52747-sad-news/

Are the channels in question encrypted? If yes, are both devices supplied with a CAM and a smartcard? Is "Has CI module" checked for both devices in the server and client hardware options? Are firmware and driver up-to-date?

http://support.digital-devices.eu/knowledgebase.php?category=26&language=English

... Sorry to hear about the loss of Lars... Thanks for your effort, in your contribution to my challenge here - please see my answers to your questions below;

Are the channels in question encrypted? – Some channels are encrypted, some not. No problem watching encrypted and non-encrypted channels, with both tuners… Just not at the same time.

If yes, are both devices supplied with a CAM and a smartcard? – Yes

Is "Has CI module" checked for both devices in the server and client hardware options? – Yes

Are firmware and driver up-to-date? Driver – Yes. Firmware – Hard to say… Digital Everywhere has made a support tool which brings some device information - you can see that info here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9i19W8L_bVrc0hiWHFpbFBnaXM/view?usp=sharing – The detected firmware version 2.4.4 build 61030… Your link http://support.digital-devices.eu/knowledgebase.php?category=26&language=English directs to firmware version 1.5.0 & 1.5.2… It is also not possible to download any of those…? I also notice the information marked in red – Frontend status… Will I have to tune both cards?

I know that I repeat myself here – both tuners work flawlessly if only one of them is activated, in the hardware configuration settings (illustrated with the two links in my above post).

Just wonder – do ‘the system’ (DVBViewer & Recording service) handle the sharing of the tuned channels automatically? I do not realize how to tune the channels for both cards… When selecting to scan channels, the tuner to scan is automatically selected… How can I select to scan the other tuner device?

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

do ‘the system’ (DVBViewer & Recording service) handle the sharing of the tuned channels automatically?

For a clean cooperation between Recording Service and DVBViewer only the RS must access the DVB hardware directly. DVBViewer must use virtual network devices (RTSP, Sat>IP recommended) in order to receive streams from the RS.

http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Recording_Service_Installation_Guide

Use DVBViewer -> Help -> Recording Service Wizard in order to get a correct configuration, if not yet done.

Usually two or more active tuners at the same time are no problem. In one of my PCs DVBViewer/RS are using 6 tuners (2 x DVB-T, 4 x DVB-S, one of them a FireDTV-S2) without difficulties. However, there are users who encountered problems with two tuners of the same type (from the same manufacturer) due to driver issues preventing the usage of both tuners at the same time.

Please attach a support.zip for providing complete information about your setup.