Timeshift problem

KingBoyD

Hi!

First I have to say I have been very satisfied with DVBViewer for more than a year now. But suddenly I have an annoying problem.

If I start a recording (timer or direct) and then start to watch that recording while it's still recording I can only watch as long as the recording is and then it stops. For example, if I start a recording at 8.00 and start watching it 8.03 the playing stops after 3 minutes. If I then open the recording again 8.10 I can watch 10 minutes and then it stops. The recording is recording as long as I have set it up in the timer or until I stop it myself so thats no problem.

This has worked for me for over a year and its very annoying since I use this feature a lot.

I upgraded to 3.9.4 this summer and maybe it's this version but I think that this worked after I updated and that it has stopped later on. I have also installed a new DVB-T card but how could that be in conflict? I'm running Vista.

Please help me!

I can't see here why it doesn't work. Try to play the recording with the TSPlayer from the members area -> tools section. Same problem?

I've tried TSPlayer now and that works. But it still doesn't work in DVBViewer. And as I stated before, it works if I change back to version 3.9.2.

Any ideas?

Strange thing. I've tested it - here it just works.Seems the size of the recorded file is not updated continuously in DVBViewer... maybe the Windows function that is used to query the size ignores further changes, for whatever reason.

Again try TSPlayer. Does it update the file size shown above the position slider continuously? TSPlayer won't stop read attempts, even if the file position reaches the displayed file size, so it will play the part beyond it (if there is any).

In contrast to TSPlayer, DVBViewer tries to determine whether it is a growing file or not. If the file size does not change, DVBViewer stops playback when the file position reaches the (assumed) end of the file. What about the duration shown in the DVBViewer control bar? Is it increasing?

Strange thing. I've tested it - here it just works.Seems the size of the recorded file is not updated continuously in DVBViewer... maybe the Windows function that is used to query the size ignores further changes, for whatever reason.

Again try TSPlayer. Does it update the file size shown above the position slider continuously? TSPlayer won't stop read attempts, even if the file position reaches the displayed file size, so it will play the part beyond it (if there is any).

In contrast to TSPlayer, DVBViewer tries to determine whether it is a growing file or not. If the file size does not change, DVBViewer stops playback when the file position reaches the (assumed) end of the file. What about the duration shown in the DVBViewer control bar? Is it increasing?

In DVBViewer 3.9.4, where the length of the recording is shown (bottom right), it displays a fixed figure. It doesn't increase. And when the playback has reached the end of the file it stops although the recording is still ongoing. In DVBViewer 3.9.2 the same figure increases and the playback doesn't stop.

Yes, but i got no idea what reason for your problem is. :radscorpion:

I don't understand what you mean. What should I do more? I have tried to explain what is not working for me and I have uploaded a support.zip as you asked for. Please explain so I can give you what you need.

I just tested TSPlayer and it updates the file size continously as well as the length of the recording so it is working as it should .

• 3 months later...

Hi again!

I have to open this thread again.

I have now installed Vista Ultimate from scratch and also installed DVBViewer 4.0 with the same result as with 3.9.4. Again I can't watch an ongoing recording. It's exactly the same problem as I have described earlier but with 4.0. 3.9.2 works great.

Except from Vista the only program I have installed so far is PowerDVD 8 and DVBViewer. [Deleted]

Please, if you have any more input or suggestions what to test. I was really hoping for the new 4.0 but since this doesn't work either I'm starting to loose hope...

Edited by Griga
Violation of forum rules
if you have any more input or suggestions what to test.

Yes.

- Try DVBViewer GE (see members area, read the ReadMe!). Same problem when recording with DVBViewer GE? Since DVBViewer GE doesn't support CI/CAM, you will have to use a free channel for testing. This will be quite revealing, since in comparison to DVBViewer Pro DVBViewer GE is more similar than TSPlayer.

- Try to play a radio recording (no video) with DVBViewer Pro. Same problem?

Somehow DVBViewer doesn't recognize that the file size is growing. Most likely due to very special conditions, since you are the only one reporting this issue up to now. Nevertheless I would like to know the reason...

I know that something that worked in version 3.9.2 is not working in later versions (3.9.4 and 4.0) with the exact same environment.

What has changed since 3.9.2? What does 3.9.4 and 4.0 have/not have in comparison to GE and TSPlayer?

When I run in safe mode I get no picture. Could it be that the plugin [removed] is not activated in safe mode? there is no plugin menu.

However, if I try to record anyway and try playing the file it says that the file is being used by another program.

§ 13

Do not ask for or discuss plugins for descrambling/decrypting pay-tv or key-codes.

Although the DVBViewer Pro provides full pay-tv functionality it must only be used in combination with a valid subscription of a pay-tv provider, a tv-card/box featuring a "conditional access module" (CAM)and/or the corresponding "common interface" (CI) with a smart-card. This applies regardless whether software-descrambling is allowed in your country or not.

Could it be that the plugin is not activated in safe mode?
Yes, if there is no problem in the safe mode, the problem is caused by a plugin. Remove the plugin or ask the plugin Author about it.

I sincerely apologize for taking your time.

I really didn't think that the problem could be the plugin but I have now tested this with my original card directly in the CAM/CI and it works.

Will search for the answer somewhere else.