now/next on other channels

Conrad.

Hello,

To begin with, I've searched for the answers to my questions on this forum (and others) and I've read through the manual. As I'm not posting or reporting a bug or a problem, I haven't posted my support.zip. I can if you feel it would help though.

My question is an interface one.

Is it possible to view the now/next information that appears when changing channels, withouth changing channels.

What I'd like to do is the following: press i on my remote -> have the now/next window appear -> press left ->have the now/next information for the previous channel in my channel list appear -> press right twice -> move forward two channels into my channle list and show that channels now/next info and then do either:

-> press ok ->navigate to that channel

-> press i -> close the pane

Is this possible? The closest I could find is the miniEPG which really isn't right.

With the cumulative time of DVBViewer switching streams (probably < 10%) and then the rebuilding of the graph (>90%) switching between lost of channels to see what's on can be time consuming; being able to flick through the EPG in this way would be very advantagous.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Is it possible to view the now/next information that appears when changing channels, withouth changing channels.
No

switching between lost of channels to see what's on can be time consuming; being able to flick through the EPG in this way would be very advantagous.
Use use OSD-Menu [Esc] and than Now or TimeLine.

It is nearly possible. Just adjust the time DVBViewer waits before switching channel. Personaly I use 2secs. Then you can use ch+/- to "browse" the channels arround the currently tuned one and have always 2secs time to read the EPG Data before you need to press ch+/- again. If you want to end your browsing, you need to get back via ch+/- to the currently tuned channel and no channel change will happen.

I use that frequently. :-)

No

Use use OSD-Menu [Esc] and than Now or TimeLine.

I use that quite a lot when trying to plan an evenings TV or when looking for something to record, it's much more cumbersone than a simple now/next window for channel hopping though. Especially when, with UK TV at least, a lot of the programs are half an hour or less but have long names.

If it can't be done then it can't be done, I'll stop looking. It does seem to be a very common feature in other set-top-box software though so I'm quite surprised it's not a enabled. At the risk of being flamed I wouldn't have thought it was that hard, it's already doing the majority of the functionality with the now/next window, the EPG and the channel selection.

One further question then, is it possible to get the now/next window for the current channel to redisplay once it's disappeared without changing channels?

Again, any response would be appreciated.

It is nearly possible. Just adjust the time DVBViewer waits before switching channel. Personaly I use 2secs. Then you can use ch+/- to "browse" the channels arround the currently tuned one and have always 2secs time to read the EPG Data before you need to press ch+/- again. If you want to end your browsing, you need to get back via ch+/- to the currently tuned channel and no channel change will happen.

I use that frequently. :-)

I tried this and it's nearly the perfect solution. 2 seconds just isn't quite long enough though, I find I miss a button press or something and end up on a channel that I never wanted to watch. I guess I could rearrange my channels to get round that but I thought I'd ask if there was a better approach.

Thanks

OSD-OK [Enter]

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

When changing channels, a now/next box comes up showing a description of what's on now, along with the next program name.

Is it possible to get this to re-display for the current channel once it's disappeared - without changing channels?

Pressing enter brings up a different window which, for me at least, doesn't have any content in it (this could be a configuration issue at my end which, if anyone can shed any light on, I'd appreciate).

did you reconfigure enter to something else than OSD Ok? (Have a look in Options->Input) It should show exactly the same OSD Window, which is called "Mini EPG". So you could also add a new command with the action "OSD Show MiniEPG" and map a button to that command (again, have a look at Options->Input).

//Edit: tjod was faster... (and most probably did find the problem, too)

Edited by Moses
Are you using Timeshift?

Yes, I was. And I've tried it without and it works as I'd like, thank you!

I was going to ask why it doesn't work with timeshift activated, but of course what do you display? If you're timeshifting the current now/next would often not correspond to what you're watching!

However, I think that timeshifting is more important than the now/next window.

Apologies if it seems that I've wasted your time but now I feel I understand the application much better; thank you for your responses.

Options > Input > Add Group -> select the new Group > Add > OSD-Show Miniepg > select OSD-Show Miniepg > Add > OK

And than select OSD-Show Miniepg > Learn > [hit a key of your choice] > Learn > OK

Options > Input > Add Group -> select the new Group > Add > OSD-Show Miniepg > select OSD-Show Miniepg > Add > OK

And than select OSD-Show Miniepg > Learn > [hit a key of your choice] > Learn > OK

That's fantastic. And that works in combination with the channel changing up/down arrows on the MCE remote. As long as I'm quick it's as good as my old set top box for now/next (the additional features and funationality of DVBV keep it head and shoulders above anything I've used before).

Whilst this is excellent, it's something that should be documented. If it is documented already then it could be, perhaps, easier to find?

Please don't take this as criticism but documentation and support appears to be quite constrained; for reasons that I understand, you can't listen to everyones requests, most of them will be rubbish! A lot of people won't understand that the thing they believe is fundamental has a narrow market or is unjustifiably difiicult to implement. That said, there's a lot of features of DVBV that people can't and won't access becuase of limited documentation. I'd like to help you resolve this. I'd happily give my time for free and would help you, if you'd like, construct a more detailed and thorough English manual. You could then obviously translate this as you wished.

If you're interested email me at conrad dot nash at accordgroup dot co dot uk. I think there's a lot to be gained from high quality documentation and, quite rightly, you guys don't have the time.

Documentation is a problem mainly in English. We have started with some German documentation. But it is fare away from being complete.

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=27428

http://wiki.DVBViewer.info/index.php/Main_Page

The reason to start with German is that at lest I need much more time to wight in English than in German.

Your English is far, far better than my German!

It's good to know that more/(better?) documentation is coming. I understand why it's the case but I feel it's really one of the weak points of what is otherwise a very feature-rich, useable, professional application.

Again, if I can be of any help, let me know.

Thanks

Edited by Conrad.