Euro1080 to Windows Media file

Spud

Yes.

:oops:

It's a bit tricky with the original Microsoft encoder, therefore I advise to use VirtualDub in combination with the WMV9 VCM encoder. You will also need TMPGEnc and VFAPI. The advantage is that you can use all your common VirtualDub Filters.

You can't neither use VirtualDub MPEG2 directly because of the high resolution nor AVISynth, since it tries to load the complete file into memory...

Proceed as follows:

1. Record HDTV in MPEG2 program stream.

2. Demultiplex with ProjectX or PVAStrumento.

3. Load the file into TMPGEnc and save it as a project (.tpr).

4. This one you can open in VFAPI. Create a quasi-AVI file with it.

5. This quasi-AVI (VFAPI is a wrapper not a frameserver) you can open directly in VirtualDub.

6. Microsoft has some guides for its encoder on their website (you need to modify the registry to change certain video options, though).

7. Take your time....

I've also used the WMV9 encoder directly but I had severe difficulties with the software. Forum member Crypto advised me how to do it, but I'd prefer the VirtualDub method.

Bye, Oliver

In my last tests I used DVD2AVI, the VFAPI Codec and the Windows Media Encoder 9. That works best for me. Here is a detailed description of the steps and a session file for the encoder.

Happy Encoding!

• 1 month later...

Hallo Oliver, Hallo Crypto,

Nachdem ich auch schon einige dutzend GB an HDTV files habe (Superbowl hat alleine 48GB) möchte ich nun auch versuchen diese in WMV zu wandeln.

Ich hab bisher Erfahrungen mit selbst aufgenommenen files via DigiSat Karte und Umwandlung in DVD. Das funktioniert problemlos. Verwende dazu auch dsjar, hab aber keine Erfahrungen mit Tmpeg oder dvd2avi.

Hab nun erste versuche gestartet eure beiden Wege auszuprobieren, scheitere aber schon am Anfang kläglich.

1.Schritt: meine Aufnahme liegt in .Mpg Format vor

2. Schritt demuxen mit dsjar krieg ich hin -> erhalte dann ein Video file .mpv und ein audio file .mp2

Muß ich in dsjar irgendwas besonderes einstellen? ich habe nur die maximale Bitrate auf HDTV verändert sonst die Standart Einstellungen.

Thema schneiden: ich verwende hier mpegschnitt; habt Ihr da schon Erfahrungen, ob das auch für HDTV geht?

3. Schritt @ Oliver load into TMPGenc:

-> hab mir TMPGenc (freeware version) runtergeladen und dann nach deiner Anweisung versucht das video file zu laden. => hier kommt die Fehlermeldung, daß er diesen Format (.mpv) nicht kennt? Gibts hier eine besondere Einstellung in TMPGenc? den Hinweis vfapi zu aktivieren hab ich überprüft (war standardmäßig aktiviert)

weiter bin ich leider nicht gekommen

3.Schritt @ crypto

Umwandlung des audio files in wav mit graphedit: könntest du hier einen graphen posten. Ich hab zwar etwas herumgesurft aber so einen plug'n play Anleitung hab ich nicht gefunden. Die Anleitungen beziehen sich auch meistens auf DVD rippen, weiß nicht ob man das 1:1 übernehmen kann.

in dsjar gibt's auch eine option mit der man ein wav header erzeugen kann?

hab dann auch dvd2avi ausprobiert. file nach deiner Anleitung geladen. bekomme auch ein Bild im Vorschau fenster. Dann versucht abzuspeichern wie beschrieben als d2v file. Scheint aber nicht zu gehen. Ich krieg nur ein 0Byte file. Es erscheint da eine dialog box, wo man auch reencoden könnte. wenn ich das anklicke stürzt das Programm ohne Fehlermeldung einfach ab.

tja bis hier her und nicht weiter

Also falls ihr mir ein paar tips geben könntet wie ich hier weiter komme wäre ich sehr dankbar

LG Gerhard

sorry, here in english

Hallo Oliver, Hallo Crypto,

I have already some GBs of HDTV files recorded from EURO 1080 and Premiere (Superbowl is let allone some 48GB) I would also like to encode these file in WMV.

I have some experience in recording files via DIGI Sat cards (SS2 and SS1) and convert these files to DVD format using dsjar, however I have no experience using Tmpeg and dvd2avi.

Now i started to tryout what you have posted above but was not successful.

Short summary what I tried and what didn't work.

1.Step: record HDTV in .Mpg format worked fine

2. Step demux with dsjar worked fine-> got a Video file .mpv and a audio file .mp2

questions: are there any specific settings required in dsjar? The only value I changed was the max bitrate to HDTV instead of DVD.

Topic: cutting of HDTV files: I use mpegschnitt to cut mpeg files; did you also try to cut HDTV files? Do you have any experiences so far?

3. step @ Oliver load into TMPGenc:

-> downloaded TMPGenc (freeware version) and tried to load the video file according your guide. => got an error message, that the requested file format (mpv) is not supported? Do I need a specific setting in TMPEG? I checked whether vfapi is enabeld (this was by default) but don't have a clue about the rest.

so not successful so far

3.step @ crypto

Conver audio files to wav format with graphedit: could you please post a graph to import to graphedit. I tried to find some information on the internet but was not verx successful. What I found were some guides how to convert DVD based audio files into wav (audio rippes) but I am not quite sure whether this applies here as well.

I found an option in dsjar to include a wav header, but not so sure about the exact meaning?

Then I tried dvd2avi. I have loaded the file according to your guide. I get a picture in the preview window. So far so good. But when I try to save the file with the d2v ending it doesn't work. I get a 0Byte file. There is a diolog box popping up, where you could reencode the file. in trying this the computer crashed without any warning?

so I was not successful at all

So if you have any tips or hints what I could try out, would be great

BR Gerhard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

After fighting with my bloody computer for 3hours i give up.

I can't get that damned VFAPI Codec to run (and i know it used to work on my old PC running Win98SE); under Windows XP Pro - NO CHANCE. I always end up with an AVI playing a nice black HDTV-sized screen. Yes, the DLL is in the system32 folder and also named in the registry. So in theory it should work. (Of course also the *.m2v and *.tpr files are present, not deleted and were not moved around.) :idiot:

Does anybody have a good idea? Maybe crypto or Oliver?

*sigh*

Yours frustrated,

Tobi

Hi TobsTec,

here is a message from a user who also had similar problems. Maybe it is the same reason:

> "There was a little batch file in VFAPI that had to be executed before the thing

> would run. That threw me off course for a few hours."

P.S. I am also using XP Pro. It works on that OS.

Hi Crypto!

Yep, i´ve used the Batch-File. It does not do much. Just kicks Windows to install the VFCodec.dll. Running the batch-file should have the same effect as highlighting vifp.inf, then right-click and Install.

Maybe i have a problem somewhere else?

a) Split *.mpg with Project X

(or TMPGEnc with the option MPEGTools -> Simple De-Multiplex )

:D Convert the *.mp2 to wav with Winamp3

c) Start TMPGEnc, cancel the project wizard, add the video file to Video Source

-no options touched (should i?)- Save the project

d) Load project with VFAPIConf and generate *.avi

I thought, if the VFCodec.dll is correctly registered in the system i should be able to play this *.avi->*.m2v with any media player, which can cope with the raw mpeg video? Am i missing something? As far as i understood the *.avi and *.wav should be directly loaded into the Windows Media Encoder?

Is there an interim step with e.g. VirtualDub?

Well, i must admit my last experience with all these tool was when DivX3.11 came out, so quite some time ago. :idiot:

Cheers

Tobias

I thought, if the VFCodec.dll is correctly registered in the system i should be able to play this *.avi->*.m2v with any media player, which can cope with the raw mpeg video? Am i missing something? As far as i understood the *.avi and *.wav should be directly loaded into the Windows Media Encoder?

Exactly right. BTW. the step using tmpgenc isn't necessary. VFAPIConf can directly load *.d2v files.

> Is there an interim step with e.g. VirtualDub?

No.

To find the bug, try to render the pseudo avi file in graphedit. Maybe you get a clue what's going wrong.

@crypto:

After reading some background info on the Doom9 Homepage, i got the impression, that the VPCodec.dll is talking to either TMPGEnc or DVD2AVI application to convert the "requested frames" on demand.

So i thought maybe the DLL does not find the application, though the path of the *.vfp file is in the registry. So i put all VFAPI files in the same folder as a) TMPGEnc and b ) DVD2API. With haveing the files in the same folder playing the *.avi finally worked fine with DVD2AVI. The TMPGEnc-avi still shows a black screen.

Well right now the Windows Media Encoder runs. Let´s see... :idiot:

Tobias

Bloody hell! Now after i solved all my Video problems i get encoding errors with the WAV-File. It's unbelieveable:

"An unexpected error occured with the audio codec. (0xC00D0BC3)"

Grrrr :idiot:

Tobias