Zap-OSD

bole5

Hi,

I was using Dreambox (enigma1) interface before testing the DVBViewer.

I quite like the DVBViewer but have a lot of problems when switching channels.

With the current situation (OSD not showing until channel is tuned) I have following situation:

When I switch the channel in DVBViewer, the OSD containing EPG and channel name is showing _after_ the channel is tuned in. This means that when I browse channels, I have to wait up to _5_ seconds or even longer for the OSD to appear to see on which channel I am on. So pressing channel up/down couple of times quite often shows the black screen for up to 30 seconds without options to see where I am...

Can you somehow force DVBViewer show the EPG/OSD while/before the channel is tuned to?

This would be similar to Zap OSD options in MediaPortal.

Second, in Dreambox pressing arrow up or down will automatically show a list of all channels/groups and scroll one channel down. That way you can see the next channel, its epg, and also other channels in this group. In DVBViewer it could be achieved by going to the channels menu, choosing favorites and then choosing a channel above or under the current channel. Is there a way to automate these three steps?

I thing that fixing these two minor issues would make the huge improvement in usability of the DVBViewer...

My test were performed with DVBViewer 3.9.4.0 in fullscreen mode using remote control on Vista32 and EVR...

Is there a way to automate these three steps?

Sure, you can add as many new commands you want and associate those new commands (also with multiple actions!) to just one remote/keyboard key...

Look in "Settings / Options / Input" and start to define a new command (perhaps your three steps...) by clicking on the button "Add"...

...but before all that, try to simply press the yellow remote key while you are watching (here it execute the first two command you mention...)

:lol:

Edited by Gioxy
The problem with yellow button - static list of favorites folders without your current location on it.

Exactly, and there is no way to automate this with actions to make it work the right way...

Also, very big [iMO] problem is that the OSD [EPG] is not shown until the chanel is tuned in. This means I can press channel+ a couple of times and not know where I am.

To make things worse, the channel switching is painfully slow compared to i.e. AltDVB, so there is no immediate feedback or indication which channel I am currently at.

In addition quite often the Vista EVR Renderer "locks", resulting in only black page and the only way to "fix" this is to rebuild graph. I am mentioning that because there is no way of knowing if the screen is black because I am looking at the scrambled channel, or the FTA channel with the renderer "locked"...

Question for the DVBViewer authors: Can you try using DVBViewer for watching channels the same way as you would watch on the satellite receiver for just one evening. I am almost sure that you yourself would be frustrated by slow switching times, lack of OSD feedback, and occasional crashing...

Don't take me wrong, I like your program very much and see it as one of the best alternatives on the market, but as a user would definitely like to see some improvements on the OSD, and favorites front.

just use overlay renderer... you'll always get OSD and the resulting feedback with that renderer... everything else is just messed up.

channel switching is fast on my system. That depends on many factors... and crashs normaly caused by forbidden plugins (§13 of the forum rules), they are very unstable and kill DVBViewer with them. The video decoder is critical, too.

I use DVBViewer nearly every evening to wath TV (I don't own any satelite receiver anymore), so it is possible.

just use overlay renderer... you'll always get OSD and the resulting feedback with that renderer... everything else is just messed up.

In Vista to get the DXVA you have to use EVR for 780g based systems. That is what I read in this forum.

channel switching is fast on my system. That depends on many factors... and crashs normaly caused by forbidden plugins (§13 of the forum rules), they are very unstable and kill DVBViewer with them. The video decoder is critical, too.

On my system it takes from 2-5 seconds and during that time the CPU goes to 100%.

As far "forbidden plugins" are concerned, I don't run any plugins. That is probably why, if you read my last posting I get the encrypted channels black, without OSD I never know where I am...

My SP and HD video and audio decoders are all from Cyberlink's PowerDVD 8. They are supposed to be the best and support DXVA.

I use DVBViewer nearly every evening to wath TV (I don't own any satelite receiver anymore), so it is possible.

I am glad it works for you, but for it to work on my machine it seems that things could improve...

No one forces you to use Vista and/or DXVA... all common CPUs of today will handle SDTV perfectly without any support of the graphics card.

You should clean up your channellist and delete all the encrypted channels you can't watch.

No one forces you to use Vista and/or DXVA... all common CPUs of today will handle SDTV perfectly without any support of the graphics card.

For SDTV, it should be sufficient, but for HDTV not. In addition, the picture using EVR is arguably much better when using overlay or VMR.

You should clean up your channellist and delete all the encrypted channels you can't watch.

I agree, one should do a cleanup but the presence of encoded channels wouldn't bother me if I had OSD working the way it should in EVR...

Generally, I consider the DVBViewer as being very good and flexible software that works quite well in most cases, but has a couple of quirks that make the whole

watching/channel switching experience bad.

@Developers: If you can't make OSD appear before channel is tuned in EVR, can you "emulate" this by mixing OSD with picture before sending it to the renderer.

I know that in that case the transparency would be probably lost, but I would rather like to see the OSD/EPG than the black screen. This would surely improve channel

switching and enable us to use DXVA on Vista.