DVBViewer frequently crashes after channel switch/open recording

aydan

Hi there,

yesterday I installed WinXP on my PC and since then i have the following problem:

often the viewer will crash after I switch the channel or start replaying a recording.

And it won't start after that either. I only see the DVBViewer.exe appear and disappear in the taskmanager

I couldn't find a log either and I can't seem to find the support.zip generation tool.

I installed XP on a wiped partition and only installed the basics:

WMP11

IE7

Technisat drivers v4.5.0

GeForce Drivers 178.13

nForce Drivers 5.10

all XP servicepacks/patches

PowerDVD8

The things that have changed to my former working W2k install are the OS, the technisat driver (on w2k I used v4.4.1), IE7,WMP11 and the PowerDVD version (I think I used version 7 there)

Can anybody give me a pointer where to start?

Greetings

Aydan

Disable Options > DirectX > Auto detect Video/Audio.

If this did not help. Start the DVBViewer via Start menu > Programmes > DVBViewer > Support > DVBViewer Pro (Debug Mode) and switch channel until it crashes. Than the same with open a recording. Do this two times than post the debug.log or a new support.zip.

Well, now you see me completely confused.

First things first:

Disabling format detection at least gave me video on the secondary. (I run a DualView setup)

The following holds true for DVBViewer recorded mpegs:

Running the viewer on the pimary, everything's fine. I can drop files on it like crazy and it will work.

Moving the viewer from primary to secondary is no problem either, but if i then drop that same file again, it will most likely crash.

Seems it's a little dependent on what channel the file was recorded. Some files I can start once and the second time it will crash. Some I can't start at all.

I already tried an older Video Driver (94.24) but that didn't help either.

Running the GeFroce in Single, Clone or Wide Desktop Mode is no problem either, only in DualView the crashes occur.

Running DivX or tuning channels works as well, at least I haven't encounterd a crash while testing.

Through all the testing the debug file has become a little cluttered. Sorry for that.

Hope you can shed some light on the situation

Greetings

Aydan

PS:Strange thing is it worked perfectly under w2k with the same drivers.

support.zip

You can try a different video renderer or a other video card driver (xp is not w2k) (or many be a other video decoder).

It seams to be a problem of the Direct Show System an i have no other ideas.

I just tried the PowerDVD7 decoders (which worked well on W2k) and they too crash on the secondary. The mainconcept one seems to be more stable but not crash free either.

This is all very strange.

I know this is not strictly a DVBViewer issue, but I would suggest DVBViewer implement some sort of error message and not just crash without no information whatsoever. This might actually make it easier to track such errors that come from third party components.

Greetings

Aydan

Over the weekend I tried again with a fresh XPSP2 & W2kSP4 installation with only mainboard drivers (nForce 5.10), graphics drivers (175.84 & 94.24) and Skystar drivers (4.5.0) installed (plus PowerDVD7 on W2k for the DVD decoder).

Result:

Crashes on XP (again only on the secondary monitor), no crashes on W2k.

Next action:

Try a different graphics card.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

Greetings

Aydan

• 3 months later...

I finally got to do some more experimenting.

I set up a fresh XP installation with all service packs and installed the graphics driver from windows update page.

It seems to work for now, so I suspect that one of the older driver installations screwed something up.

I'll try to do a diff on the registries and see if I can find out what went wrong.