Timer modification

christer

I'm a passionate "recorder / burner" here in Finland and DVBViewer is for that purpose the nicest tool around. I record everything as MPEG files but when I need the subtitles from the YLE programs I have to make a TS-recording (then ProjectX for cutting and demuxing etc.).

The TS-recording / burning is a slow way and and only needed sometimes.

When you record you either do in manually or with help of the Timer, which is the best way because you don't need to stay to stop the recording.

So you normally proceed in the following way:

- you "program" the Timer from EPG

- you then open the Timer to check for forbidden overlappings and maybe adjust the Timer action: Record (if you are using the Plugin AudioRecorder 3.1 you can here change over to audiorecording which is great) etc..

My suggestion is:

Here under Timer action it would be fantastic to have the options Record as MPEG and Record as TS instead of only Record. The default option here is still your choise in Settings / Options / Recorder.

This way I think many are helped and no one mistreated.

Here under Timer action it would be fantastic to have the options Record as MPEG and Record as TS
I had never understood the benefit to record in different file formats espesially when the need of space is about the same. Why don't you use only TS, you can playback them by DVBViewer (and VLC as well). No problems with subs, no need to ajust something every time.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Of course you are right but when you want/need to burn your recordings to DVD as many do you have another situation:

- recorded as a MPEG-file you don't have any subtitles and editing/burning with Nero Vision takes only a few ninutes. This is fine for programs in languages I understand. No picture destroying subtitles.

- recorded as a TS-file included all thinkable substreams you first have to edit and demux it with ProjectX. After this you choose the right substreams and remux it with a suitable program. Now you have a MPEG file which takes a long time to transcode and burn with Nero.

So having the options Record as MPEG and Record as TS are mainly for burners and you save a lot of time.

Every help here is appreciated.

PS,

Muxing the Video and Audio substreams is no problem but muxing the subtitle substreams is a big problem. But this is another topic.

You should have a look at VideoReDo. It's the best MPEG editor there is and very soon it will be able to take a .TS recording, edit it, then burn it to DVD with selectable subtitles. We're still waiting for the last bit but it's still worth spending the money on if you do a lot of editing.

Edited by SimonP
MPEG and Record as TS are mainly for burners and you save a lot of time.

Every help here is appreciated.

If you want the easy way you can aways buy VideReDo, it can make stright burning from TS file to DVD (and edit it also before that) At the moment it can not handel subtitles but they are working on it.

but muxing the subtitle substreams is a big problem.
Why so? ProjectX => Authoring video&sound&subtitles with DVDAuthorGui and then burning with Nero (without re-encoding). Your PC will make work for a while but you don't need to do so mush.

Thanks everybody.

The comming "TS-version" of VideoReDo sounds very promising. I will check it out when it arrives.

Anyway I think Record as MPEG / Record as TS options would be a good feature. The time factor is still important. You experience that after being away for a week or even a weekend and a lot of programs have been recorded during that time.

The comming "TS-version" of VideoReDo sounds very promising. I will check it out when it arrives.
Well it is available already, only subtitles will need some improvmets. You can download a 2 weeks trial to test it. (I am using TVsuite version with straight durning possibility). http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm
The time factor is still important. You experience that after being away for a week or even a weekend and a lot of programs have been recorded during that time.
??? what that has to do with file formats ?

IRa, Thanks for the info.

Have you tried to solve subtitle problems for different DVB-receivers? When I read trial comments it seams to me that different receivers give different demuxing results which of course can result in a lot of problems. (and does additionally ProjectX need an ORC program from somewhere to give the needed .SUP subtitle files for remuxing?) I use Anysee DVB-T receivers. Any comments re. these?

And re. the time factor: my point is that recording the "TS way" in the way I described can take 5 times longer than the "MPEG way". That is unnecessary especially when subtitles are not needed.

Have you tried to solve subtitle problems for different DVB-receivers?
Several different DVB-T cards and DVBViewer, not noticed any difference. What do you actually mean? (I don't actually have a subtitle problem)
and does additionally ProjectX need an ORC program from somewhere to give the needed .SUP subtitle files for remuxing?)
No, I just open the TS file with ProjectX, add cutting points and push Quickstart button. Result is needed *.m2v, *.mp2 and *.sup (if DVB subs are in file) for authoring program.
And re. the time factor: my point is that recording the "TS way" in the way I described can take 5 times longer than the "MPEG way".
With VideoReDo adding cutting points takes maybe 2 minutes and after that the hole process will take 15..20 min (normal movie) but this happend in the background and doesn't need any actions from you. Ofcource if you need ready DVD in 5 minutes then that is a problem.

Hi, thanks for the comments.

The substreams are fast and easilly created with ProjectX. But then.. I've tried different authoring programs but with with no success. Video and audio are remuxed but with no subtitles. Which authoring program do you recommend?

Video and audio are remuxed but with no subtitles. Which authoring program do you recommend?
I assume that you have checked that subtitles are included in your TS recording (DVBV settins). Then you shoud have after ProjectX demuxing also *.sub file, have you ?. I use DVDAuthorGui for authoring.

Hi, I'm back again.

I just used ProjectX, got the .m2v, .mp2, .sup and .sup.IFO ?? files and additionally the ProjectX log.txt. Tried ReJig, the only remux program I have left.

For the position I used first the log.txt and then the .sup.ifo because there were no signs of position marks in the log.

No subtitles!!, but video and audio were again ok.

There is a comment from Anysee: their own transport stream .TRP dont give subtitles the normal way with ProjectX. Instead you must do a series of complicated transformations via SRT subtitle format with help of differnt programs. Hopefully this does not mean anything here where I've been using DVBViewer as the recording program. Everything exept burning YLE subtitles has been working magnificently.

I just used ProjectX, got the .m2v, .mp2, .sup and .sup.IFO ??
So DVBsubs are not in your TS file or you have in ProjectX presettings / subtitle subtitle export format SUB not selected.

Are you recording with Anysee own program not DVBViewer. If so then you are in wring forum.

If you use DVBViewer Anysee should work like all other devices with DVBV and you have not selcted settings/options/recorder/format options DVB subtitles (asetukset/valinnat/tallenin/tallenteesen mukaan=>DVB tekstit).

Okay,

I use DVBV only. In DVBV DVB "textit" is on. The demuxing trials has been done with SUB, SUP and TRP as exported subtitles. I have been using different remuxing programs. No luck re. subtitles so we can call it a day. Thanks for all your comments. We are for shure drifting away from DVBV. Anyway I will take upp VideoReDo later when I have more time.

I have been using different remuxing programs. No luck re. subtitles so we can call it a day.
Have you read these Finnish instructions http://www.dvdplaza.fi/forums/showthread.php?t=25778

As I said I use DVDAuthorGui and mostly only DVB subtitles (*.SUB) http://download.videohelp.com/liquid217/dvdauthorgui.pl, there you can adjust subtitle color palet without using *.IFO.

(I noticed that there is a brand new version of it, I have not testet that, publised yesterday)