MCE Remote.

Bjur

I have been using DVBViewer for quite a while with great success. I have tried to use VMC and Media Portal but the picture quality is not as good as DVBViewer. However I have some unanswered questions regarding DVBViewer:

1. I need to have a working solution where I can control DVBViewer through my MCE remote. Should I just install the MCE plugin in download section and then it just works or if I want to map keyboard keys to MCE how does that work?

2. Regarding the teletext in DVBViewer it doesn't look like a normal TV's teletext. Is there some solution to get it to look like the normal text tv on tv's?

3. I would really like to integrate DVBViewer in Media Portal, but ss there a Media Portal plugin to DVBViewer somewhere? I have seen one post where you can add DVBViewer as a menu in VMC but not in Media Portal. If not, is there a solution, where I push a button on the MCE remote, so it exit's Media Portal and start DVBViewer and also back again to Media Portal?

Hi, I'm using DVBViewer on XP with the MCE remote.

1) In short, brilliantly. You basically install the plug in, then go to the inputs section and learn any button you like to any command you like. Anything you can do in DVBViewer that isn't already in the list can be added and a button mapped to it. A lot of the buttons work out of the box as the MCE remote is just a keyboard with a different layout. Once you understand how to assign things it's about a 10 minute job to set up all buttons. The biggest hurdle I had was with terminology: do I want the EPG, the MiniEPG or the timeline view to come up when I click the Guide button. SImply choose one (guess) try it, if it's not what you want, change it.

2) No idea, I guess it depends on whether you're using analogue or digital and what text the stream carries.

3) I don't know, but as MediaPortals primary application is as a TV Viewer, I'd guess not. I believe there is a plug-in that allows you to choose what DVD viewer you use within MP which you could maybe use, but I'm not sure how that'd integrate.

Alternatively, grab a copy of intelliremote. It's only $24 and has a fully functioning trial period. With that you can customize any button within any application to do a certain task. So you could program the green button within MP to close MP and launch DVBViewer. You create profiles within applications so if you're running DVBV and press green, it'll switch to MP and within MP it'll work the other way around.

I hope that's of some help.

Conrad

Thanks for the good tip both od you, I will try these out.

One more question:

I have runned DVBViewer and task scheduler, but the scheduler unfortunately don't work in Vista, so I have to use recording service. I have installed in, but it doesn't wake my HTPC up from standby when I have scheduled recordings.

How is that fixed?

Thanks for the good tip both od you, I will try these out.

One more question:

I have runned DVBViewer and task scheduler, but the scheduler unfortunately don't work in Vista, so I have to use recording service. I have installed in, but it doesn't wake my HTPC up from standby when I have scheduled recordings.

How is that fixed?

I'm afraid that for the short time I was using vista on my HTPC I was unable to get the scheduling service to work correctly. I believe it's something to do with the changes MS made to the whole concept of schedules when the "upgraded". I didn't spend much time on it though and, I believe, others have used it succesfully. Combined with the other codec/driver/general issues (not related to DVBViewer) I had with Vista, I decided to move back to XP. I think it lasted all of a day!

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I'm afraid that for the short time I was using vista on my HTPC I was unable to get the scheduling service to work correctly. I believe it's something to do with the changes MS made to the whole concept of schedules when the "upgraded". I didn't spend much time on it though and, I believe, others have used it succesfully. Combined with the other codec/driver/general issues (not related to DVBViewer) I had with Vista, I decided to move back to XP. I think it lasted all of a day!

Sorry I can't be of more help.

But it would be nice if the DVBViewer developers could use some time to resolve the Vista problems.

I believe Vista is here to stay, and XP will die!

It is easy to say that everything is a MS problem, but sometimes the developer could overcome OS problems with Smart Thinking and Smart Programming

But the problem is:

All this sceduling/recording service is also driving me mad!! I have 3 computers running DVBViewer (with Recording Service, gave op Scheduler), and they all behave differently.

Sometimes one of them reflect that a recording i active, but nothing is recorded.

Somtimes one of them is waked up for a non scheduled recording, the icon is showing that Recording Service is recording, but nothing is sceduled and nothing is recorded.

Sometimes the PC don't wake up for a sceduled recording.

If a repetitive recording is set up (let's say every day 17:25 to 18:05) i run into problems if I start up DVBViewer in this recoring period. It asks me something like this: There is a recording running in Recording Service, do you want to stop it?

I answer no, of course, and the recording continues. BUT now this job i marked as inactive, and in the future it wont run! I then need to mark it a active before it can run again

I use DVBViewer i Danish language. Therfore some of the Messages are inccorect according to the English DVBViewer, but please be free to ask!

But it would be nice if the DVBViewer developers could use some time to resolve the Vista problems.

I believe Vista is here to stay, and XP will die!

It is easy to say that everything is a MS problem, but sometimes the developer could overcome OS problems with Smart Thinking and Smart Programming

But the problem is:

All this sceduling/recording service is also driving me mad!! I have 3 computers running DVBViewer (with Recording Service, gave op Scheduler), and they all behave differently.

Sometimes one of them reflect that a recording i active, but nothing is recorded.

Somtimes one of them is waked up for a non scheduled recording, the icon is showing that Recording Service is recording, but nothing is sceduled and nothing is recorded.

Sometimes the PC don't wake up for a sceduled recording.

If a repetitive recording is set up (let's say every day 17:25 to 18:05) i run into problems if I start up DVBViewer in this recoring period. It asks me something like this: There is a recording running in Recording Service, do you want to stop it?

I answer no, of course, and the recording continues. BUT now this job i marked as inactive, and in the future it wont run! I then need to mark it a active before it can run again

I use DVBViewer i Danish language. Therfore some of the Messages are inccorect according to the English DVBViewer, but please be free to ask!

While that was an issue, there were many other factors that made me switch back and that I couldn't see ways around. For example, with Vista (and I assume XP MCE) the green button and others on the MCE remote all opened up Media Center. I'd be in DVBViewer and want to watch something I'd recorded so I'd press the Recorded TV button, this would then open media center.

Also, to say that XP is going to die is, I think, a little short-sighted. It's not like it's going to uninstall iteslf from your machine and burn it's installation DVDs, is it? While people still develop for it, I'm keeping it installed on my HTPC.

Hi,

I am having trouble getting my MCE remote working correctly. Once I got DVBViewer working more or less OK, I got to work on the MCE remote. Ar first, assigning the buttons (LEARN, etc) worked fine. For instance, I assigned 'Recorded TV' to bring up the MOVIE menu and the 'LIVE TV' to switch to full screen. I then assigned the ff,rew, pause, etc. Anyway, next day the 'Recorded TV' (MOVIE menu) and 'LIVE TV' (switch to full screen) buttons no longer worked. The ff, rew, pause, etc still worked. So I looked in the 'OPTIONS-> INPUT menu, and the said buttons were still there. I tried re-assigning them but the system would not recognize them this time round! If I set, for example the MOVIE menu to a number, then it would work, but the moment I tried to assign it to 'Recorded TV', nothing! I manually edited the 'DEFAULT.REMOTE' file, but that did'nt work either. The remote is OK, as the buttons work in Media Portal. Anyone got any ideas as to how to fix this? Can anyone point me in the direction of a list or whatever of what keys the MCE remote is emulating on an actual keyboard?

regards

Graham

I managed to get the MCE remote buttons working again. So for people when might run into the same problem, the answer is to uninstall the MCE IR receiver, then reboot and let XP install it again. Something must have got scrambled when I was assigning the MCE remote buttons in the OPTIONS->INPUT routine.

Graham

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem, a few buttons on my MCE remote works, but DVBViewer won't recognize most of the buttons.

Tried the tip in this thread, but no luck.

Any other good ideas?

Rgds

Per

The MCE remote is a very common one. Can its instillation be made automatic rather than having to teach it every time you set it up. Like the way mediaportal does it. Tick the type of remote you want and bingo it works.

I'm having the same problem, a few buttons on my MCE remote works, but DVBViewer won't recognize most of the buttons.

Any other good ideas?

I strongly suggest using EventGhost to drive DVBV. EventGhost has plug-ins for both the MCE remote and DVBV. I actually use my Hauppauge remote to control DVBV and my one MCE remote to control two versions of Zoomplayer (one outputting the audio over HDMI and the other outputting the audio over SPDIF to my amp). I can also use the same remote to change my video card output resolution, and it can be set to perform just about any function on the PC. It all works brilliantly and is totally flexible but like any powerful tool does require some effort to set up. That said I find EventGhost much easier to configure than Girder (which is unusable as far as I'm concerned).

You don't need to install any special drivers in XP to use the MCE remote and sensor. Just delete a couple of registry entries and copy in a DLL. See here: http://www.byremote.com.au/Hip/mce_remote_faq.htm

The Hauppauge remote works fine via the MCE sensor. I don't use the Hauppauge sensor at all. Other remotes can also be used with the MCE sensor and EventGhost.

Edited by Frogster