Vista Enhanced Video Renderer - hardware deinterlacing support?

Zori

Lately I upgrade my video card from ATI 3870 to ATI 4850. The new driver supports Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing.

Under DVBViewer, if I use Vista Enhanced Video Renderer, I got Hardware acceleration and uses less than 10% CPU time even when video 1080i TV at 2560x1600. But the words display is a bit shaky.

If I use VR9, (I think) I got Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing, the text on the screen is so sharp and crispy and steady. But it uses 100% CPU time

Any news on newer version of Vista Enhanced Video Renderer that may support Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing?

Lately I upgrade my video card from ATI 3870 to ATI 4850. The new driver supports Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing.

Under DVBViewer, if I use Vista Enhanced Video Renderer, I got Hardware acceleration and uses less than 10% CPU time even when video 1080i TV at 2560x1600. But the words display is a bit shaky.

If I use VR9, (I think) I got Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing, the text on the screen is so sharp and crispy and steady. But it uses 100% CPU time

Any news on newer version of Vista Enhanced Video Renderer that may support Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing?

I think it supports it., but depends on your CPU and memory.

I think it supports it., but depends on your CPU and memory.

Thanks, I found out where the problem is.

I was using Windows AERO (semi transparent) Appearance. It makes the vector adaptive deinterlacing not working. When I switch it back to WIndows Vista Basic or Standard Appearance. The V.A.D. is working nicely, the lines are so crispy and steady.

Thanks.

I found another problem, wonder if anyone experience the same problem.

When running TV (standard or HD TV) with Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing, it is fine and smooth and CPU usage is less than 10%. But when I select the pull down or pop up menu, the video suddenly shutters or pause until the pull down or pop up menu disappear. The CPU usage does not change a bit, it is still under 10% when the shutters and pauses appear.

Anyone experience that too?

When I use Windows AERO Appearance, the V.A.D will not work, but there is no shutters or pauses when Pull down or pop up menu is selected.

Reason why I found difference between the Appearance is when I use PowerDVD 7 or 8 Ultra to play Blu Ray movies, PowerDVD changes the Appearance to Windows Vista Basic before playing the movie.

That's why I decided to see the difference between HDTV using AERO or Vista Basic Appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

After fooling around with MCE for a week. I finally get it working but it messed up DVBViewer, PowerDVD ... I ended up reinstalling the VISTA once more.

Back to the topic, I found out the PowerDVD h.264 codec runs with VECTOR ADAPTIVE DEINTERLACING only with Vista Basic Appearance (fine lines are steady). With AERO, I can only see BOB or WEAVE effect on TV but the fine lines are flickering.

PowerDVD will switch my Windows Appearance to BASIC before playing any Blu Ray movies, it does not switch the Windows Appearance when playing DVD movies. So I can assume the Appearance switch is related to h.264 codec.

Wonder if anyone can solve the shuttering and pauses when accessing DVBViewer menu under Vista Basic Appearance using PowerDVD 8 h.264 codec.

Thank you very much

• 2 months later...

well i use EVR vector adaptive.

how to activate it ?

turn AERO OFF by selecting basic theme.

instead of bob and weave only, u will also have vector adaptive and motion adaptive. btw wich is best?

well i use EVR vector adaptive.

how to activate it ?

turn AERO OFF by selecting basic theme.

instead of bob and weave only, u will also have vector adaptive and motion adaptive. btw wich is best?

A few comments from my part regarding this issue:

1.) Only EVR supports hardware acceleration running Vista, thus DXVA is not utilized if you use VMR 9

2.) For me EVR + Aero enabled does the trick (if I do not have Aero enabled I get terrible tearing if I play BluRay@24p, DVBViewer viewing 576i/1080i-content is fine without it)

As I can see you are using a very high resolution, can you please run DXVAChecker to verify your DXVA processing devices (with Aero enabled).

Then switch back to a lower resolution and run it again, maybe more will become available.

I suspect that the advanced deinterlacers are somehow limited to a certain resolution.

I am using a ATI 2600 XT with Catalyst 9.1 @ 1080p with Aero enabled and have all 5 Deinterlacing-modes in CCC.

The whole thing with AERO on/off combined with EVR is somehow mythical, but what I can proove is that it is the key to tearing-less BluRay-playback.

BTW: The tearing is independent from the graphics card, I experienced it with both ATI 2600 XT and Nvidia 8800 GT using most current drivers.

well i gotta say i have 9,1 too with vista, and vector and motion only appears with aero off. but that's ok. i think aero is just for themes right?

sorry i dont know what do u mean by tearing but i have a problem. it seems that everytime i restart DVBViewer, powerdvd filter forces BOB mode. i dont want that, how can i in powerdvd set it to allways use vector adaptive? it's the best. i didn't knew it even existed, the image is just smooth and just "stops" it isn't shaking like it used to be, it's awsome.

well it seems that mpeg2 channels are working ok. vecotr mode (and i gotta say it's perfect)

but with mpeg4 channels it uses BOB, why is that?

What codec are you using? Cyberlink?

I too have weird effects with deinterlacing, cyberlink and catalyst 9.1 on my 3400HD, and trying to grasp a concept. I don't have Powerdvd though, my codecs came with my DVB-S card (seem to be current 7.X versions).

For me, the mpeg2 cyberlink codec just doesn't care about CCC deinterlace settings, they simply have no effect, it always uses BOB, which sucks.

When I switch to some other mpeg2 codec (original Vista MS or ATI Avivo), the CCC settings do take effect, without any other change e.g to Aero (which is active), and the picture quality is far superior. However, I have other problems with either of these codecs, precisely random switching of the deinterlace mode (to weave) for short moments, accompanied by vertical jumping of the picture. I didn't think about playing with Aero settings to see if they make a difference, but will try that. At any rate, this proves that if there's a problem with Aero enabled, that it's a cyberlink only problem. Other codecs apparently don't have a problem with Aero.

Even worse, with H.264 and enabled dxva (still cyberlink), I get stuttering (30-35 FPS instead of 50) *in fullscreen only*. Everything is fine even in an almost fullscreen window.

Without dxva, at least 720p doesn't have a problem, 1080i depends on the material (channel) if I get stuttering or not. So ATM I use the current (free!) Divx7 codec for HD, which doesn't support dxva, but provides perfect picture quality without any FPS problems.

I'll play around a bit with Aero, and see if it makes a difference for the cyberlink stuff. I tried to disable it before for my stuttering problem in HD, but that didn't make a difference.

CU,

Massimo

downloaded hd pack 1.9 (google it, easy)

and inststalled only ac3filter, h264 cyberlink and mpeg2 cyberlink.

aero OFF

selected vector adaptive , applied, then selected auto, applied in ccc with DVBViewer closed

opened DVBViewer, tadah! EVR using cyberlink codecs with dxva and vector adaptive!

smoothest image i've ever seen. its justs excelent. not gonna change a thing again.

no shaking logo's image, no chopped subtitles, no chopped running players (football)

everything is amazing and perfect FINALLY! :)

BTW: IF U SEE NO CHANGES, TRY TO REBUILD GRAPH, CLOSE AND OPEN DVBViewer, ETC.

Edited by Helder
downloaded hd pack 1.9 (google it, easy)

and inststalled only ac3filter, h264 cyberlink and mpeg2 cyberlink.

aero OFF

selected vector adaptive , applied, then selected auto, applied in ccc with DVBViewer closed

opened DVBViewer, tadah! EVR using cyberlink codecs with dxva and vector adaptive!

smoothest image i've ever seen. its justs excelent. not gonna change a thing again.

no shaking logo's image, no chopped subtitles, no chopped running players (football)

everything is amazing and perfect FINALLY! :)

BTW: IF U SEE NO CHANGES, TRY TO REBUILD GRAPH, CLOSE AND OPEN DVBViewer, ETC.

Hi,

interesting.. I've got the HD pack 1.7 which has the same HD cyberlink codecs.

But what graphic Card have you ? Mine is HD2400XT

In CCI always choose "Auto" as deinterlaced option.

And where disable aero in Vista ? What is the control panel menu to check ? :)

Regards