No eac3 audio stream support ?

Dialhot

Hi all,

I'm a new user of DVBViewer pro that I'm using mainly to watch HD DVB Channels launched in France Oct 30th (aka "TNT HD").

I have an issue with the audio streams for most of them. These chanels are broadcasting 2 audio streams, one in standard AC3, the other one using eac3 (Dolby Digital +). Issue is DVBViewer does not see this second stream when I'm scanning the channels, preventing me to select it. Unfortunately this stream provides original audio and it's boring to not have it :-(.

Is there any way to have DVBViewer to support eac3 audio format ? It is standard in HD DVB broadcast.

Thanks a lot.

Issue is DVBViewer does not see this second stream when I'm scanning the channels

We would need a TS sample file containing the PAT and complete PMT of such a channel for testing purpose.

The best way to record it is using the TransEdit Analyzer (download TransEdit 3.2.5 from the members area, read the ReadMe!):

- Launch TransEdit. Go to Settings -> Analyzer and select an output directory (so you know where the files go).

- Select an appropriate transponder list on the left side of the TransEdit main window and the transponder in question on the right side. Click Analyze. Wait some seconds.

- Open the PAT node on the left side of the analyzer window. Select the service subnode belonging to the channel in question by right-clicking it, and click "Select Streams" in the context menu. After that, all streams belonging to the channel are selected on the right side of the Analyzer window.

- Deselect all streams except PAT and PMT. Click "Start Recording" (one minute will do).

- Additionally right-click the service subnode again and click "Save as XML" (or "Copy as XML" and paste the result here. Wrap it in code tags in order to make it readable).

- ZIP the file(s) and attach it here (or upload it somewhere else).

I'm sure with this information we can add some code for Dolby Digital + stream detection. Playback is another problem, particularly because there is no DirectShow (software) decoder available for this audio type yet. However, the stream may contain a compatible AC3 audio core that can be extracted. But let's first look after scanning.

If i understand it right ffdshow should support eac3 since October.

Yes, the audio branch was now merged with the trunk. So it is in the official builds. Both, EAC3 and TrueHD are supported now.

I have internally elaborated on that and the difference between BDMV (m2ts) and non-BDMV (ts) EAC3 already.

Edited by CiNcH

Ok, that tells me something...

It's the stream with PID 131, the one that comes with an Enhanced AC3 Descriptor, I guess. The Analyzer is already able to detect it, but the scanner isn't. The Language Descriptor specifies "qaa" as language - do you know what it is?

I'll upload a TransEdit test version 3.2.5.3 to the members area -> beta section right now. The scanner should detect the audio stream as AC3 (we have no special value for DD+ yet), and you can export it to DVBViewer (use the Send Button).

Most likely playback won't work (you can try, though), and that brings us to the next step, which is easier than I thought, since the channel is not encrypted, as it seems. So what I need now is another Analyzer TS recording, with PAT, PMT plus the stream with PID 131. You'll see it on the right side of the Analyzer Window, and I think you know how to do it. 10 or 20 seconds will be enough, and I hope the result is still attachable here - if it's too big, we must find another way.

With this sample I can try to find out what has to be done for playing it.

My god, you ARE fast ! ;)

I sent the info from TransEdit to DVBViewer as you told, and that is working. And I have sound (using ac3filter) !

Unfortunately I won't be abble to tell you if all is fine tonight : the channels are using this stream for original language (generally english) but this evening all programms are french, so that's what we have too on the second stream.

I'll tell you asap if all is correct. Next 2 languages broadcast should be tomorrow. I'll try to catch it.

Meanwhile, thanks a lot.

Edited by Dialhot

Well, that's fine - but I didn't expect it at all ;)

Now I would like to have a sample because I would like to find out why it works. Would you be so nice...? Ah yes - and check recording in DVBViewer and file playback. Maybe the stream detection for TS files will fail in this case.

Well... sorry to say, but I think I know what happened: When you select an audio track in DVBViewer, it checks whether it is available or not by reading the PMT. If it isn't, it automatically takes another track. And since DVBViewer is not yet able to detect the EAC stream... there we are.

Try it with the TransEdit Preview function. Select appropriate decoders on Settings -> Preview. Analyze the Transponder, right-click the EAC stream (PID 131) and click Preview...

Well... sorry to say, but I think I know what happened: When you select an audio track in DVBViewer, it checks whether it is available or not by reading the PMT. If it isn't, it automatically takes another track. And since DVBViewer is not yet able to detect the EAC stream... there we are.

You gessed right. Today I tried with a 2 languages programm, and still had the french audio on the "qaa" stream. Then I went to "channel editor" and saw that the audio PID was still 130 and not 131.

channel1da7.png

Try it with the TransEdit Preview function. Select appropriate decoders on Settings -> Preview. Analyze the Transponder, right-click the EAC stream (PID 131) and click Preview...

As you expected : no audio, whatever the codec I'm setting (tried Dscaler, Ac3filter, ffdsohw, Cyberlink DVD...).

I uploaded a sample ts here

Let's hope you can do something with it.

Edit:

Now I would like to have a sample because I would like to find out why it works. Would you be so nice...? Ah yes - and check recording in DVBViewer and file playback. Maybe the stream detection for TS files will fail in this case.

No problem with playback but Haali media splitter confirmed me that PID for audio is 130 in the the ts file.

Note: the sample I've uploaded has been done using TransEdit with only PAT/PMT/PID 131.

Edited by Dialhot

Thanks. That's how far we got:

I've added EAC stream detection in the DVBViewer Filter (DVB Source), and after that I managed to play a TS file containing 5.1 EAC audio with this ffdshow version as decoder (thanks to CiNcH, who did a lot of researches in this respect).

Unfortunately the sample uploaded by you doesn't play properly. I only get digital noise. Most likely due to the decoder, that can't handle it for some reason, maybe because the content is stereo 2.0. Seems the ffdshow devs have to do some additional work... but I'm sure sooner or later this problem will get solved. ATM there is no other known DirectShow decoder that can cope with EAC.

Anyway, the EAC support will be integrated in DVBViewer, and then we'll see...

Anyway, the EAC support will be integrated in DVBViewer, and then we'll see...

Good to read that. I'll look forward for a beta release including this so.

Again, thanks for your time on this issue.

Phil.

As we have found out, there is at least one decoder that is able to handle this type of EAC3 properly: Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3.0. A DVBViewer Pro Beta and a new DVBViewer Filter version with EAC3 support will be available soon, so you can try...

Meanwhile I'll look for that codec

Got it? You can try now:

Add: Support for EAC3 (you need the current 3.3.0 DVBSource and a fitting audiodecoder). For more information see DVBSource_3_3 ReadMe.rtf.

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&p=220392

- Added: Support for Enhanced AC3 (EAC3) audio, as used by French terrestrial HD broadcasts. Requires DVBViewer Pro 3.9.4.99 Beta resp. DVBViewer GE 2.6.2 or later. Additionally a suitable decoder must be selected for AC3 (see Options -> DirectX in DVBViewer). Up to now the only known decoder that can cope with it is the Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3.0.

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&p=220438

At least your sample plays fine here...

Got it?

Yes I did ;).

Unfortunately, no foreign language programm tonight but as XK Corp, I have audio with pid 131 stream so I think all will be fine when english will be broadcasted on it.

Thanks for that beta release. I'll tell you if all is fine.

Edited by Dialhot

I'm back :)

I'm watching a show right now with the original audio on the "qaa" stream :).

Now I have an issue with the subtitles :biggrin:. I'm in overlay, using a the "theater mode" with Catalyst 8.10, and the subtitles go only on the primary screen - that is my PC monitor - but not on the seconday, e.g. my HDTV.

Anyway, this one should be a lot harder to solve (I've noticed that all DVBViewer OSD goes the same), and I can surely go to VMR9 or other renderer to solve that. Thanks again for the eac handling.

@CiNcH

Thanks for the ffdshow version too. I'll try it later. Now I'm just going to enjoy my show :)

Edited by Dialhot
  • 6 months later...

Hi all,

Does DVBViewer support now in native the EAC3 format ?

I have the same problem than Dialhot. 3 HDTV channels changed their audio format from AC3 to AC3+ yesterday (DD+ i/o DD -- channels are on DVB-T, TF1 HD, FRANCE 2 HD & M6 HD).

So since yesterday i can ear the sound from those channels... even if i changed the track from

Tks in advance !

dago

Yes, but you need a suitable decoder. Install ffdshow Beta 6 and select it in DVBViewer under Options -> DirectX as AC3 decoder:

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

Yes, i've just understood it. Tk you Griga !

I've installed the "MPC - MPA Decoder Filter" & now that works fine (except that my decoder does not detect the sound as a Dolby Digital track..).

You can find it here :

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/content/view/760/2/

You must download one of the 2 (32 or 64 bits) standalone filter.