DVBViewer Filter 3.3

Hi,

I have a few questions about the new features in DVBViewer Filter 3.3 which I can't figure out with the supplied readme.

- How does the new Reference Clock feature compare to the features Reclock provides? I use Reclock for stutter-free playback of media in MPC-HC but from the documentation, it should also fix clock drift in general. Is that correct? Can you use Reclock with DVBViewer?

- How should I interpret Clock Drift? I've enabled "Use DVB Clock" and I'm seeing a continuous negative drift. I.e. after switching to a channel it starts around 0ms (sometimes slightly positive, 8ms) and than it moves negative at 1-2 milliseconds per minute. What does that mean?

- Does it make a difference for DVBViewer Filter whether or not /usepmtimer (instead of TSC-timer) is used in boot.ini?

- Last, does it make a difference which codec is used in combination with DVBViewer Filter? I notice that different codecs behave rather different. E.g. Cyberlink MEG2 (PDVD8) seems to handle a lot of stuff internally (always 0 queued buffers in DVB Source Properties) whereas the ATI MPEG decoder always has a queue of arround 70-90 video buffers?

Edited by Klaus_1250
- How does the new Reference Clock feature compare to the features Reclock provides? I use Reclock for stutter-free playback of media in MPC-HC but from the documentation, it should also fix clock drift in general. Is that correct? Can you use Reclock with DVBViewer?

For DVB live neither the audio clock nor the clock provided by ReClock (based on video output) is appropriate. Both drift apart from the DVB clock. But actually what DVBSource/DirectSound does now is similar to ReClock. Both adapt audio speed to another clock by varying the audio's pitch.

So the proper way is going with a clock synchronized with the DVB clock. Otherwise you will run into problems sooner or later.

ReClock is cool for file playback where sample production rate can be varied which is not possible for streaming media.

- How should I interpret Clock Drift? I've enabled "Use DVB Clock" and I'm seeing a continuous negative drift. I.e. after switching to a channel it starts around 0ms (sometimes slightly positive, 8ms) and than it moves negative at 1-2 milliseconds per minute. What does that mean?

Read the included DVBSource_3_3 ReadMe.rtf. It means that the DVB clock is slower than the clock which is responsible for playback. Since data is processed faster than it arrives, DVBSource will sooner or later run out of data (buffer underrun) if no clock adjustment takes place.

- Last, does it make a difference which codec is used in combination with DVBViewer Filter? I notice that different codecs behave rather different. E.g. Cyberlink MEG2 (PDVD8) seems to handle a lot of stuff internally (always 0 queued buffers in DVB Source Properties) whereas the ATI MPEG decoder always has a queue of arround 70-90 video buffers?

Different decoders do behave differently. CyberLink grabs all data it can get and buffers it all by itself. In the other case DVBSource is made responsible for buffering.

Edited by CiNcH
  • 2 years later...