Transferring High Definition .ts files to Blu-Ray Disc

Canon

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a process for transferring High Definition .ts files, recorded with DVBViewer, to Blu-Ray - to allow them to be played on a standard Blu-Ray player (in my case I am recording BBC HD and ITV HD, and my hardware player is a Panasonic DMP-BD35).

Thanks for any help you can give ;)

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a process for transferring High Definition .ts files, recorded with DVBViewer, to Blu-Ray - to allow them to be played on a standard Blu-Ray player (in my case I am recording BBC HD and ITV HD, and my hardware player is a Panasonic DMP-BD35).

Thanks for any help you can give :)

I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well, but with a short search I haven't yet found anything. Doom9 and CDfreaks are the best places to look.

I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well, but with a short search I haven't yet found anything. Doom9 and CDfreaks are the best places to look.

I have just downloaded a trial version of TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4. This happily imports the HD mpg files Cyberlink PowerCinema creates, but doesn't like the .ts files that DVBViewer creates (this is a bit ironic since I moved to DVBViewer fron PowerCinema 5 as it was so unstable (i.e. cr*p)). I assume there is actually little difference between the two streams - does anyone know of a conversion program that would allow importing into TMPGEnc Authoring Works - it looks to be a good editing/authoring package, and the DVD version has had a great reputation for years.

I have just downloaded a trial version of TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4. This happily imports the HD mpg files Cyberlink PowerCinema creates, but doesn't like the .ts files that DVBViewer creates (this is a bit ironic since I moved to DVBViewer fron PowerCinema 5 as it was so unstable (i.e. cr*p)). I assume there is actually little difference between the two streams - does anyone know of a conversion program that would allow importing into TMPGEnc Authoring Works - it looks to be a good editing/authoring package, and the DVD version has had a great reputation for years.

I think the best bet would be to add a mastroska container to the .TS file, which takes very little time as it not re-encoding the file. Then using tsMuxer you can create a Blu-ray disk. See this guide (http://brothers_grim.webs.com/bd/index.html). I haven't tried it personally but it seems sensible and I have used TsMuxer to create .mkv files in the past.

Let us know if that works.

Cheers

.:qubito:.

Hi,

Thanks for any help you can give :)

This is what I do for BBC HD,H.264.AC3 -> PS3 Blu-Ray (No RE-encoding)

I make sure the recordings ->format options are all UNchecked e,g, "All AudioTracks" so the only things recorded are the H.264 stream and the AC3 audio stream.

The recorded .TS file plays on the PS3 via TVersity or when burned to disk

To make simple Blu-Ray (has time interval chapters and no menus)

If you are using SD DVD Dual layer Discs set the "split files after" to the 8Gb minus 10% (if Blu-Ray media use the appropriate disk size minus 10%)

TSMuxer (download from Doom9 forum)

open the recording and use the option "Create Blu-Ray Disc" - the default chapter length is 5 minutes which can be changed in the Blu-Ray tab

(Note - If you are using recordings that have "all audio tracks" select only the H.264 and the AC3 streams)

Click Start Muxing - this creates 2 folders on the hard drive "BDMV" and "CERTIFICATE" (done in minutes- No Re-encoding)

=========================================================

Burning - I use Nero 8 and Dual Layer DVDs

Set the New Compilation to DVD-ROM (UDF)

Under Multisession Tab select No Multisession

Under UDF Tab select Manual Settings (advanced users only)

UDF Partition type - Physical Partition

File System version - UDF 2.50

Add the 2 folders to the root of the new compilation and burn

This produces a disc that shows as a AVCHD DVD-ROM on the PS3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a BluRay burner and Media just create a new BluRay compilation and put the 2 folders on th root of the new disk

Post back how you get on

regards

Edited by potnoodles

Hi potnoodles,

I did a test with a small (8 minute) clip from BBC HD, and transferred it to a re-writeable Blu-Ray. It seemed to be working perfectly on my Panasonic player until it reached 7min 48sec when the track restarted (interesting as repeat play wasn't enabled, and the player did confirm that the track was 8 minutes long). I shall have to experiment further, any ideas - or similar experiences? Thanks again.

Tried another 10minute clip which converted perfectly and played to the end (the track did restart at the end, this appears to be a feature of my Panasonic). I tried converting the original track again, but it still restarted at 7min 48sec - however the softplayer PowerDVD played it perfectly.

Tried another 10minute clip which converted perfectly and played to the end (the track did restart at the end, this appears to be a feature of my Panasonic). I tried converting the original track again, but it still restarted at 7min 48sec - however the softplayer PowerDVD played it perfectly.

The auto restart seems to be standard - mine does this. More advanced authoring e.g. Ulead videostudio 11.5 plus gives an option to enable/disable this. I may also have recordings which dont play to the very end but I am unaware of it because of padding the recording time and using tsmuxer to remove the padding.

If using only short clips for experimenting I suggest using cheap DVDRW 4.3GB using the same burn method as above for dual layer dvd and keep your BluRW for full scale testing only.

Glad to hear the method works with the DMP-BD35 - it should work with others then.

regards,

poptnoodles

The auto restart seems to be standard - mine does this. More advanced authoring e.g. Ulead videostudio 11.5 plus gives an option to enable/disable this. I may also have recordings which dont play to the very end but I am unaware of it because of padding the recording time and using tsmuxer to remove the padding.

If using only short clips for experimenting I suggest using cheap DVDRW 4.3GB using the same burn method as above for dual layer dvd and keep your BluRW for full scale testing only.

Glad to hear the method works with the DMP-BD35 - it should work with others then.

regards,

poptnoodles

Hi potnoodles,

Having had some success, I thought I would try converting an ITV HD stream (which are lower bit rates than BBC HD). Unfortunately, tsmuxer can't identify the stream type of any of my ITV HD files - any ideas?

Unfortunately, tsmuxer can't identify the stream type of any of my ITV HD files - any ideas?

Check Options -> Recorder -> Adjust PAT/PMT when recording service 10510 (ITV HD). This will adjust the stream type to H.264 (use DVBViewer beta)

Check Options -> Recorder -> Adjust PAT/PMT when recording service 10510 (ITV HD). This will adjust the stream type to H.264 (use DVBViewer beta)

Hi Derrick,

I have downloaded the beta, but the readme.txt states I should backup my data folder first - what is this? I assume it's where my program settings and channel database are held (as opposed to my recordings), but I cannot find it (there is a database folder, but that is empty - is the folder name 'data', or something else?). Thanks for any help you can give. Also, do you happen to know if there is any way to process my existing ITV HD streams onto Blu-Ray (an alternative to tsMuxer)? Thanks again.

Try TSPLayer recording to TS, -> conversion -> "Adjust PAT/PMT to file content"

..you'll find you configuration folder here: -> About -> Configuration folder

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for that. Everything is now installed and functioning, and I have modified the settings as you suggest. Unfortunately, TSmuxeR still can't recognise the stream type. I tried recording BBC HD with the modified settings and TSmuxeR recognised the stream. One thing I have noticed is that the filenames for the ITV HD streams contain no information beyond the date, time, and channel name; whereas the BBC HD stream filenames also make reference to the audio track and the programme name.