Command Line Extension

Because of a feature request in the Deutsch forum I've written a little program, that extends the possibilities to launch the DVBViewer with command line parameters considerably.

It's called DVBSetup and does the following

- Changes the DVBViewer's Setup.ini according to command line parameters passed to it

- Finally launches the DVBViewer

Installation:

- Put DVBSetup.exe into the DVBViewer folder - it will only work there!

- Make a backup of your Setup.ini - if you don't use the program correctly, it may spoil it

- Create a Shortcut to DVBSetup.exe on your desktop (or where you like). In its properties add the desired command line parameters to the Target Input Line (in German "Ziel"), separated by a blank.

Before you use it, you should learn a bit about the structure of INI files. They are divided into sections. Each section title is enclosed in brackets. The sections contain keys, to which values are assigned. The whole thing may look like this:

[General]
HideMenu=0
Statusbar=1

where General is the section, HideMenu a key and 0 the value assigned to it. If you call DVBSetup.exe in the following way

DVBSetup.exe Section:Key=Value

it will change the value of the key in the section of the Setup.ini accordingly, before launching the DVBViewer. You may pass as many command line parameters as you like (only limited by the OS). To give you an example: Let's assume you want to create a special DVBViewer shortcut, that always launches the DVBViewer with the Overlay Mixer and the DVBViewer filter. It can be done in the following way:

C:\Programme\DVBViewer\DVBSetup.exe General:Output=1 General:Renderer=4

where Output=1 selects the Overlay Mixer and Renderer=4 the DVBViewer filter (the entries in the dropdown lists are numbered from top to bottom, beginning with 0)

Parameters that do not contain ':' or '=', and additionally parameters that begin with '@' are simply passed on to the DVBViewer (without '@' of course). Don't forget to enclose parameters that contain blanks with quotation marks - otherwise the OS will regard them as two or more parameters.

However, the hard part of the whole thing is to find out which entry in the Setup.ini does what. In some cases you'll have to do it by trial and error, since Christian's naming of the sections and keys is a bit odd... :D

The attached ZIP additionally contains the Delphi source code - for all programmers that want to modify it or to know how it's done. If you only want to use the program, you don't need the DVBSetup.dpr file.

I hope it will turn out to be useful here and there...

Griga

DVBSetup.zip

Sounds very interesting.

Thanx a bunch Griga !

We will just need some time to find out all the wast possibilities this tool can brings us.....

(w00t)

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for the setup tool. I am going to try and use it to build a link between the TVTV EPG and DVBViewer. At present I use a Haupauge 350 card to record from cable TV, but now we have the possibility to recieve terrestrial digital in NRW. I like the TVTV EPG because of the possibiility to proram over the internet and because it shows when there is a conflict in programming. I was wondering if anyone has already devised such a solution ? It looks like it will not be the most elegant solution but maybe it will work. I can recomend the Hauppauge MVP viewer in combination with a Buffalo Linkstation 250GB NAS as a good solution - my only problem now is to get new content onto the disk.

MfG

Ian

• 6 years later...