Having following suggestions for 4.0 version of DVBViewer Pro, please

ter9999

Having following suggestions for 4.0 version of DVBViewer Pro, please consider.

1. Changeable font size in the "popup channel list". Because lots user use HTPC, it's hard to see clear the small channel names in 3~4 meters away.

2. Still for the "popup channel list", while in "windowed mode", when move the mouse pointer to right side of the window, it will pop up, then move the mouse out of the window, it still there. I need to move back the pointer to the window to let it disappear. How about if I move the pointer out of the right side of the window, if I left-click the mouse, then the "popup channel list" disappear?

3. Signal quality and signal level both displayed out at the bottom status bar. Also, in full screen mode, it's better to also display the content of the bottom status bar in addition to the now "MPC" like menu.

4. When I scroll middle mouse key, can we add an option that can zoom in/zoom out both in full screen mode and windowed mode? Also, it's better to display an OSD indicating the percentage of the zoom.

5. For "Zoom" function, we have "Recall #0/1/2/3", can we self define the zoom rates for these presets? Also, it's better that we can associate a shortcut key to switch between these self-defined presets.

That's all for now. I've got lots of suggestions... :D

6. Everytime, see the "Credits", need to see from the very beginning, hope we can drag to see latter part using mouse, just like the Credits in winamp..

7. Please realize changeable bitrate in realtime for audio. Now only video bitrate is changeable in realtime on the bottom status bar.

:)

1. Changeable font size in the "popup channel list". Because lots user use HTPC, it's hard to see clear the small channel names in 3~4 meters away.

Use the OSD Channellist... that's what it is meant for!

5. For "Zoom" function, we have "Recall #0/1/2/3", can we self define the zoom rates for these presets? Also, it's better that we can associate a shortcut key to switch between these self-defined presets.

You can change the presets, they will be saved.

You can assing keys to them. Just add those commands in options->input and define a key for them.

8. Add memory storage for timeshift buffer (memory size user-definable). Now DVBViewer can only support hardisk timeshift buffer storage, this will cause high I/O rate when watching HD channels.

Edited by ter9999

If your RAM is big enough, you can just install a RAM Drive, there are tools to do that. This will look like any ordinary harddrive to DVBViewer.

• 3 weeks later...

9. Please add Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese support in the OSD. Now the Chinese characters can't be displayed correctly.

10. The now playing EPG for a channel can be displayed in the right part of the program interface bottom status bar.

11. In full screen mode, you can let the channel list pop up when the mouse moves to the right side of the screen. (Now it only pop up on the right if I selected "Popup channel list")

12. A bug. When selected "Popup channel list", in the pop-up channel list, I right-click mouse, then click "Channel editor", the "Channel editor" won't appear.

13. For the Audio/Video specs displayed on the bottom status bar, i.e. 720X576, 25 fps | 48 khz, 256 kbps | 3.2 MBit,

only the video bitrate is calculated in realtime; for the audio bitrate, it's better to calculate in realtime to reflect the true audio bitrate.

:biggrin:

Edited by ter9999

14. The "Scan channels" in the program (under Channel menu) is too simple and function incomplete. Better to think to integrate the "TransEdit" into the main program. Maybe then it will be not easy to update TransEdit alone, the TransEdit can be treated as a program module.

• 2 weeks later...

15. For video renderer "EVR Vista Enhanced Video Renderer (experimental)", it has been "experimental" for a long time, I'm always using this best video renderer in Windows Vista and now Windows 7, no issues found. So can we remove the word "experimental" or do you have plan to make adjustments to this renderer later? Also, if I install .NET Framework 2.0 or above in Windows XP, I can also select EVR, so it's not only "Vista" EVR/

16. A suggestion: Your main webpage "www.DVBViewer.com" is usually outdated and not updated quickly. I even can't find any description on your main page about the release of DVBViewer Pro 4.0, don't say the latest beta 4.0.1.1.

o:)

17. Suggestion: Is that possible to let the recorder record digit TV in .avi(h.264) or .wmv format? May allow direct invoke different video encoders installed to record to such formats.

Is that possible to let the recorder record digit TV in .avi(h.264) or .wmv format?

Possible yes (in theory), but it won't be implemented. It has been discussed several times in this forum (particularly in the German section), leading to the conclusion that it doesn't make sense, except for marketing, and as there is nothing that can be called DVBViewer marketing... there you are ;)

For issue #9, I attached the screen snapshot, the Traditional Chinese characters can't be displayed out correctly.

The codepage for Traditional Chinese is Big5. For Simplified Chinese, the codepage is GB2312.

Edited by ter9999

18. PIP (picture-in-picture) support for all channels in the same transponder!! The PIP is a normal and very useful feature in almost all other DVB software. Please consider seriously.

18. PIP (picture-in-picture) support for all channels in the same transponder!! The PIP is a normal and very useful feature in almost all other DVB software. Please consider seriously.

Could you please specify for me for what PiP is useful?

I have had it in plnty of TV's and VCR's but NEVER used it.

I don't understand 18. at all :(

I think what he means is that, you can watch all channels on a single transponder at once or in PIP.

I think what he's trying to say is that if you have a single tuner, that means you have the stream for all the channels that are on the same transponder, so in essence even if you have a single tuner you can "tune" to multiple channels at the same time. Because what is being tuned is the "transponder" not the channel.

So he wants the ability to be able to watch all the channels on the same transponder. My best guess

I think what he means is that, you can watch all channels on a single transponder at once or in PIP.

I think what he's trying to say is that if you have a single tuner, that means you have the stream for all the channels that are on the same transponder, so in essence even if you have a single tuner you can "tune" to multiple channels at the same time. Because what is being tuned is the "transponder" not the channel.

So he wants the ability to be able to watch all the channels on the same transponder. My best guess

No, he does understand, he likes to show others that they appear to have confused him, that's all.

1) Needs scrollable/Slider viewing bar when watching recorded show. The immense stupidity of jumping forward and back hit and miss incrementally, is overwhelming

2) Maybe build in a Bittorrent client, ala Miro.

Hahah who am I kidding...

Yes, that's what I meant for PIP. Just like the picture below, we can selectively open other channels in the same TP. They can be displayed together or in different tabs. If displayed together, we can only hear the voice for channel that we highlighted using mouse click.

20081012_1d0e6b61b784c7b0c5e9sQXfuzKjcRRu.jpg

20081012_43b36eb9e31db1b763dd8ywXhXXzqSsR.jpg

19. Timeshift function be fortified.

a) Now the timeshift file can only be stored on harddisk. I'd rather prefer that we have a choice to store them in memory and can define the max size (like 500MB the largest). Now I'm using 64-bit Windows7, there is no such ramdisk program that can run on it. Also, it will become not stable using such software.

:( If I move the mouse onto the timeshift bar, it's better to pop up some time information on that spot using tooltips. Like "19:01:55, 3m23s behind realtime TV program".

c) Can define the seek interval for fastforwording and reserve, like 5s or 10s or 30s. If I define 30s, every time I click "Reverse", it will go back 30s than now realtime playing. Also, if we can use memory to store the timeshift file, the search will become much faster than search on harddisk!!

d) During timeshift, we can even allow PIP function work that a small window will come out to display the realtime TV program.

Edited by ter9999

20. Bug report: If the satellite signal is weak, the DVBViewer Pro will crash definitely after some short period of time. Maybe this is caused by the video or/and audio codec, but DVBViewer may catch such codec exceptions and handle them more gracely.

21. Suggestion: Maybe you can add "Send feedback" in the DVBViewer "About" menu to allow users to send feedback or bug reports to a database for your reference. You can also integrate the special tool to collect configuration data and sent together with the report.

No, he does understand, he likes to show others that they appear to have confused him, that's all.

1) Needs scrollable/Slider viewing bar when watching recorded show. The immense stupidity of jumping forward and back hit and miss incrementally, is overwhelming

2) Maybe build in a Bittorrent client, ala Miro.

Hahah who am I kidding...

Actually the inability to even use fast forward when watching dtv recordings is a pain in the arse.

the inability to even use fast forward when watching dtv recordings is a pain in the arse.

Oh, you control your remote with your lower backside? Isn't that dangerous? it might get lost there and I imagine it must be very uncomfortable...

Well, that's the nice thing about such a forum, you learn something new every day, even if it's sometimes simply disturbing...

Oh, you control your remote with your lower backside? Isn't that dangerous? it might get lost there and I imagine it must be very uncomfortable...

Well, that's the nice thing about such a forum, you learn something new every day, even if it's sometimes simply disturbing...

One of the things I love about forums, is that it allows even the flimsiest of excuses to be used as comedy.

It's even funnier when you have to actually misrepresent what was written to squeeze out one little drop of humor.

Good show my man, now go and implement every one of my suggestions immediately, lest you feel the full force of my next rejoinder!

The OSD is in fact sort of webpage, so you can modify the OSD contents and, if you select a font that is too big, then the frame around it must be wider/higher too

so it's not always a matter of changing text hight only.

2. Still for the "popup channel list", while in "windowed mode", when move the mouse pointer to right side of the window, it will pop up,

then move the mouse out of the window, it still there. I need to move back the pointer to the window to let it disappear.

How about if I move the pointer out of the right side of the window, if I left-click the mouse, then the "popup channel list" disappear?

Under HTPC mode not a problem.

3. Signal quality and signal level both displayed out at the bottom status bar. Also, in full screen mode, it's better to also display the content

of the bottom status bar in addition to the now "MPC" like menu.

If you like Mediaportal, why not use it? It's not the goal of DVBViewer to clone mediaportal. The OSD in a HTPC may not be too complex cause lower wife exceptance.

4. When I scroll middle mouse key, can we add an option that can zoom in/zoom out both in full screen mode and windowed mode?

Also, it's better to display an OSD indicating the percentage of the zoom.

Again, let the mouse alone and use HTPC mode and use remote control.

7. Please realize changeable bitrate in realtime for audio. Now only video bitrate is changeable in realtime on the bottom status bar.

Change the bitrate in a digital video stream is not so easy and it's always a metter of resampling, sort distroying the original audio for a bit.

8. Add memory storage for timeshift buffer (memory size user-definable). Now DVBViewer can only support hardisk timeshift buffer storage,

this will cause high I/O rate when watching HD channels.

HD will fill a ramdisk fast.

12. A bug. When selected "Popup channel list", in the pop-up channel list, I right-click mouse, then click "Channel editor",

the "Channel editor" won't appear.

Bugs should be posted on the bugs forum, but this is not a bug, works fine .

13. For the Audio/Video specs displayed on the bottom status bar, i.e. 720X576, 25 fps | 48 khz, 256 kbps | 3.2 MBit,

only the video bitrate is calculated in realtime; for the audio bitrate, it's better to calculate in realtime to reflect the true audio bitrate.

? digital audio is 44,1kHz, 48kHz, 92kHz, 192kHz. As soon when a specific format is used then this does not change or sound would be disorted.

sound codecs don't like a variable bitrate.

^

18. PIP (picture-in-picture) support for all channels in the same transponder!! The PIP is a normal and very useful feature in almost all

other DVB software. Please consider seriously.

This works only reasonable with FTA channels, not with encrypted channels.

19. Timeshift function be fortified.

a) Now the timeshift file can only be stored on harddisk. I'd rather prefer that we have a choice to store them in memory and can define

the max size (like 500MB the largest). Now I'm using 64-bit Windows7, there is no such ramdisk program that can run on it.

Also, it will become not stable using such software. If I move the mouse onto the timeshift bar, it's better to pop up

some time information on that spot using tooltips. Like "19:01:55, 3m23s behind realtime TV program".

And if the ramdisk is full : error.

c) Can define the seek interval for fastforwording and reserve, like 5s or 10s or 30s. If I define 30s, every time I click "Reverse",

it will go back 30s than now realtime playing. Also, if we can use memory to store the timeshift file, the search will become much

faster than search on harddisk!!

This could indeed go smoother.

22. Need enhancement. The popup channel list can't display Chinese characters. Even I put Chinese characters in "Channel Editor", it can't be displayed in the popup channel list.

23. Better to allow users to set CPU affinity (like allow users to check to select to use CPU 3/4/5/6/7/8). Now only "Use the first CPU" can be selected.

23. from tweaks.txt:

Value: ProcessMask

Section: General

Accepted: binary combination of wanted CPUs or $FFFFFFFF for all CPUs. ex.: First CPU=1, Second CPU=2, third CPU= 4, forth CPU=8.

Use only first and second CPU -> 1 + 2 = 3

Use only first and third CPU -> 1 + 4 = 5

Use only first, second and third CPU -> 1 + 2 + 4 = 7 etc.

Default: $FFFFFFFF (all CPUs).

Description: Determinates which CPU are used for the DVBViewer. Does only apply if "Use only first CPU" is not set in the Options.

Thank you so much for #23!

24. A bug: I set mouse middle key vertical scroll to "resize", I also set to "allow automatic popup channel list".

When the channel list is out, when I scroll the middle key, it does resize instead of the channel list scroll.

I think when the mouse pointer is in the channel list area, it should do scroll, not the resize.

One of the things I love about forums, is that it allows even the flimsiest of excuses to be used as comedy.

It's even funnier when you have to actually misrepresent what was written to squeeze out one little drop of humor.

Good show my man, now go and implement every one of my suggestions immediately, lest you feel the full force of my next rejoinder!

I think you should always humour Lars_MQ, he is the only one proper source connection to God ;)

25. A bug: Windows Vista. EVR.

When switching from full screen mode to windowed mode through mouse double-clicking, sometimes the window will be blank, I can only hear the sound.

I need to left-click on the blank window area to make the picture appear again.

25. A bug: Windows Vista. EVR.

When switching from full screen mode to windowed mode through mouse double-clicking, sometimes the window will be blank, I can only hear the sound.

I need to left-click on the blank window area to make the picture appear again.

Choose Rebuild Graph in such case.

Are you sure that it 's EVR related only so tested also with for instance overlay etc...?

DVBViewer works fine when used as HTPC.

This does happen sometimes on my HTPC too but usual after several hours , rebuild graph solves it.

If you get that situation, check info and then you will see the bitrates that is extremely low, too low for video

just enough for audio or even too slow for both, for instance 0,19mbps

And windows crashes sometimes but that is not DVBViewer related.

I do know that most problems are caused by firmware (dvbcards), drivers, codec's.

Edited by Benarty
Choose Rebuild Graph in such case.

Are you sure that it 's EVR related only so tested also with for instance overlay etc...?

DVBViewer works fine when used as HTPC.

This does happen sometimes on my HTPC too but usual after several hours , rebuild graph solves it.

If you get that situation, check info and then you will see the bitrates that is extremely low, too low for video

just enough for audio or even too slow for both, for instance 0,19mbps

And windows crashes sometimes but that is not DVBViewer related.

I do know that most problems are caused by firmware (dvbcards), drivers, codec's.

Thanks!

EVR is the best video renderer in Vista and Windows 7. I never and won't ever use other ones.

The issue is not related to low bitrate. I can occur when watching HD channel. It's easy to reproduce, you can double-click to switch between full-screen and windowed mode, sometimes, the video will be blank when in windowed mode. In fact, I need to hold the left mouse key to drag the window to let the picture out..

Thanks!

EVR is the best video renderer in Vista and Windows 7. I never and won't ever use other ones.

The issue is not related to low bitrate. I can occur when watching HD channel. It's easy to reproduce, you can double-click to switch between full-screen and windowed mode, sometimes, the video will be blank when in windowed mode. In fact, I need to hold the left mouse key to drag the window to let the picture out..

Didn't happen to me until I tried to use a video decoder other than cyberlink. With Cyberlink 8 never happened. Possibly codec-related?

26. For the timeshift, really suggest to add "store in memory", and an option to limit the max size. For now, the timeshift file is kept on harddisk, if DVBViewer closed unexpectedly, it will not delete the files and some time later, the folder size will become larger and larger, then need to manually delete them.

Also there is no limit for the timeshift file size, after the long watch, it's hard to drag the bar to the desired time location.

You may consider.. Thanks!

26. For the timeshift, really suggest to add "store in memory", and an option to limit the max size. For now, the timeshift file is kept on harddisk, if DVBViewer closed unexpectedly, it will not delete the files and some time later, the folder size will become larger and larger, then need to manually delete them.

Also there is no limit for the timeshift file size, after the long watch, it's hard to drag the bar to the desired time location.

You may consider.. Thanks!

There is a plugin (i think beta) in the german part of the forum called timeshift plus.

German Thread - Timeshift Plus

It realizes both points you wanted, storing the timeshift-data in memory and defining the size of memory to use.

don't know if it works well, I didn't try it.

good luck

27. Proposal: Remember/can set aspect ratio for each channel. Can be a attribute in "Channel editor".

28. How to open 2 DVBViewer at the same time? I have 2 DVB card, and want to see 2 channels simultaneously in 2 DVBViewer windows. Or there can be an advanced PIP function to allow see different group channels together.

28. How to open 2 DVBViewer at the same time?
You need tow DVBViewer Installations with different configuration folders.

To change the configuration folder, open the usermode.ini in one installation and charge Root=CMUV\DVBViewer in Root=CMUV\DVBViewer2.

And than disable in each installations one of the DVB cards.

You need tow DVBViewer Installations with different configuration folders.

To change the configuration folder, open the usermode.ini in one installation and charge Root=CMUV\DVBViewer in Root=CMUV\DVBViewer2.

And than disable in each installations one of the DVB cards.

Thank you so much, it works!

Having following suggestions for 4.0 version of DVBViewer Pro, please consider.

2. Still for the "popup channel list", while in "windowed mode", when move the mouse pointer to right side of the window, it will pop up, then move the mouse out of the window, it still there. I need to move back the pointer to the window to let it disappear. How about if I move the pointer out of the right side of the window, if I left-click the mouse, then the "popup channel list" disappear?

Agree with these, point 2 especially is very annoying when you run the application in your left monitor (as I always do).