SSHD2+DVBV 4.0.0.0+MOTOR STABHH120

a.tomasich

Hi, I'm in a big trouble.

With DVBV 4.0.0.0 I can't move my motor: the STABHH120 with the card: SSHD2 (pci version).

I've installed on my pc a SS2 (pci card) and the motor is managed correctly by a diseqc/usals plugin with goto angular method.

When I move the cable on the new card SSHD2, it doesn't move.

I've configured the right position N,E but when I try to search for channels the motor doesn't move.

The only way to scan for Hotbird for example is to use "use positioner" and choose position "1", but it works only for this sat. This is not true for other sat.

If I try to use "got angular" it never works.

During the installation of DVBV I've already installed the support of Technotrend API: ttBdaDrvApi_Dll.dll

I send you also the result of supporttool on my pc.

support.zip

What must I do to use correctly my motor?

Andrea

With DVBV 4.0.0.0 I can't move my motor:

Did it work with a previous version and your SSHD2?

Technotrend API: ttBdaDrvApi_Dll.dll

Of no avail in your case, because your card is a "TechniSat Mantis DVBS BDA Receiver", which means, a re-labeled Twinhan/AzureWave.

The only way to scan for Hotbird for example is to use "use positioner" and choose position "1",

Does this make your motor move, when it was pointing to another position before? Does it respond to the commands on Channel Editor -> Edit DiSEqC -> Positioner?

No drivers for motors to run, i have contacted technisat about the sshd2...

Ciao Can you explain well please?

Which kind of "official" information have you from Technisat?

I've tried to contact them through the form on web site but no answer till this moment.

Perhaps the moderator of this forum has a better way to contact them...

Andrea

What about the original Twinhan driver? The card is a AD-SP400:

I've read some topics about other tests, it seems they doesn't work with the original SSHD2... but if I won't have positive answers... I will try, sure.

Andrea

"Did it work with a previous version and your SSHD2?"

I've tried the previous version before 3.9.4 (if I remeber right..) no way to move the motor.

"Of no avail in your case, because your card is a "TechniSat Mantis DVBS BDA Receiver", which means, a re-labeled Twinhan/AzureWave."

If you read the note of this dll during the installation wizard you can see that it works also with SSHD (also with SSHD2 I think... but not sure :-) ) anyway Christian Hackbart has told me in a message to install it regarding this issue.

"Does this make your motor move, when it was pointing to another position before? Does it respond to the commands on Channel Editor -> Edit DiSEqC -> Positioner?"

I'm doing some other tests (the motor is far from my pc...) to well understand if the motor it's positioned on HB13°E and if it move with come other commands... at the moment I only understand that I can scan this sat "only" and "only" if I user "use positioner and position 1".

Andrea

If nobody can help me perhaps can the moredator of this forum?

I'm not so skilled on diseqc and usals theory.

I need to understand how dvbv can manage the two possibilities: "use positioner" and "go to angular".

Can the two methods overlap and cause some confusion in the motor movement?

I've tested yesterday some diseqc functions like go to east (setting the steps to "0") and go to west, I see the motor it's moving.

Really slow..but it move (a question for developer... is the diseqc module powering the motor with 13V or 18V? it seems only 13V).

It move also if I use go to position 1 for example and in my installation it coincide with Hotbird 13°.

If I use "go to position 0" it move of some steps to W and looking the dish/lnb it seems that this position coincide with the position that it reach when I use "go to angular and 13°E setting!!!

What's happening?

Can be that this motor was installed with a wrong usals installation and the previous plugin and SS2 manage it differently with some automatic corrections?

I can't understand on my own...

Some suggestion for the developers of dvbv:

- Improve the use of 18V for the motor (if it's not implemented, I wait for an answer...)

- We need the signal strengh/quality on the diseqc module to well understand what's happening during the movement of the motor, to store the position of a sat if I diecide to use diseqc position and not USALS...

Andrea

I need to understand how dvbv can manage the two possibilities: "use positioner" and "go to angular".

Read this

http://www.eutelsat.org/satellites/pdf/Dis...ppli_notice.pdf

Section 3. Positioner Commands. It explains most of it... particularly the commands in the Positioner Console (Channel Editor -> Edit DiSEqC -> Positioner).

"Use Positioner" is supposed to drive the motor to a preset position stored in your positioner, specified by a number 0..255. (Go to Position command), where 0 is the reference position. Your positioner manual should contain information about that.

"Go to Angular" is supposed to drive your motor to a satellite position specified by the orbital position (like 19.2° East). It requires entering your site latitude and longitude (see "Edit DiSEqC" in the DVBViewer Channel Editor). DVBViewer and your positioner calculate from these angles how your dish must be moved to receive this position. This method, known as USALS, is much more convenient than the "Go to Position" method.

- Improve the use of 18V for the motor (if it's not implemented, I wait for an answer...)

The whole thing is quite straight forward. DVBViewer generates the command and sends it to the driver (if it provides such an interface), the driver sends it to your positioner. However, there is no interface for telling the driver that it shall switch to 18V for moving the motor. Maybe it can be achieved in another way, dunno... I have no SSHD2, no SSHD2 documentation and no positioner, so everything I know is theory. :)

Anyway, we will have better possibilities to test & try those things in near future. The next TransEdit version will provide enhanced DiSEqC 1.1/1.2 support (I'm currently working at it), and there will be a public beta test for clarifying such things. Would be good if you would take part... so stay tuned.

Read this

http://www.eutelsat.org/satellites/pdf/Dis...ppli_notice.pdf

Section 3. Positioner Commands. It explains most of it... particularly the commands in the Positioner Console (Channel Editor -> Edit DiSEqC -> Positioner).

"Use Positioner" is supposed to drive the motor to a preset position stored in your positioner, specified by a number 0..255. (Go to Position command), where 0 is the reference position. Your positioner manual should contain information about that.

"Go to Angular" is supposed to drive your motor to a satellite position specified by the orbital position (like 19.2° East). It requires entering your site latitude and longitude (see "Edit DiSEqC" in the DVBViewer Channel Editor). DVBViewer and your positioner calculate from these angles how your dish must be moved to receive this position. This method, known as USALS, is much more convenient than the "Go to Position" method.

The whole thing is quite straight forward. DVBViewer generates the command and sends it to the driver (if it provides such an interface), the driver sends it to your positioner. However, there is no interface for telling the driver that it shall switch to 18V for moving the motor. Maybe it can be achieved in another way, dunno... I have no SSHD2, no SSHD2 documentation and no positioner, so everything I know is theory. :angry:

Anyway, we will have better possibilities to test & try those things in near future. The next TransEdit version will provide enhanced DiSEqC 1.1/1.2 support (I'm currently working at it), and there will be a public beta test for clarifying such things. Would be good if you would take part... so stay tuned.

Great, good doc about diseqc standard, you help me...

I've tested the commands between square brackets like: [E0 31 6B 00] - the motor move to the right position.

So it seems a problem about my position "00" and relative calculation about USALS standard.

I will go on the roof and I will check again the right position of the dish according to a standard USALS installation.

I don't know how the old SS2 plugin has calculated the sats position but it has worked fine.

About the TransEdit... I will wait the next beta version. I'm happy to help you to test and improve the motor interface. It's so poor.

Some other requests:

- when you choose the diseqc interface to move the positioner, don't switch off the signal and the display of the current channel so I can fine tune the sat position and I can store it with a name please (and/or description, now it's not possibile).

Or if you have any other method to search for a better sat position... I wait for an idea.

- A bar that show the positioner is moving and relative stop when position is reached.

- In search channels dialogue box, it's better that the search signal/frequence button cause the positioner moving according the command you have choose.

What do you think about?

Andrea

Hi guys!

After I've corrected my position (I moved on East for some grades... waiting to go on the roof and correct physically the position of my dish....) now with the "goto angular" position works fine but I've tested it only with few sats.

With the previous driver, in this situation, I've met a new problem.

The channel change doesn't work if the new channel belong on another sat list or the hardware is different (DVB-T to DVB-S)

But... I can confirm that with the new technisat driver (rel. 1.2) also this problem is fixed!!!!

Now I can move from a channel tuned in DVB-T for example to a channel in DVB-S and also from a sat to another one... whitout problems.

It works.

Now I wait with impatience for an improved diseqc interface.

I will fine tune a sat position with DVBV without any other tool. :-)

Andrea

Good to know that you made it! ;) It tells us (and other users) that DiSEqC 1.2 is basically working with Twinhan/AzureWave/SkyStar HD2 etc. devices.

Here you can already read the part of the new TransEdit manual concering DiSEqC (not yet integrated in the official manual), giving you an outlook on what will happen next in TransEdit and DVBViewer in this respect. Maybe the public tests will start next weekend...

Good to know that you made it! :D It tells us (and other users) that DiSEqC 1.2 is basically working with Twinhan/AzureWave/SkyStar HD2 etc. devices.

Here you can already read the part of the new TransEdit manual concering DiSEqC (not yet integrated in the official manual), giving you an outlook on what will happen next in TransEdit and DVBViewer in this respect. Maybe the public tests will start next weekend...

this is very interesting, I will be anxious to try this out on my motorized dishes. :)

I wouldn't get too excited by the new drivers, every time i change channels i have to restart DVBViewer as the screen just goes black....

Roll-back of drivers and everything was fine again!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a twinhan ad-sp400 connected to a stab-hh 90 motor which the card successfully turns the motor to the correct position using USALS during Scanning but works in an arratic way when I change channels from one sat to the other. Sometimes it works but most of the time it does not. Previously I used to have a Twinhan 1030 card which worked perfect on channel change.

My Rig:

Vista 32bit

Twinhan ad-sp 400 using driver 1.1.0.400

DVBViewer 4 and also 4.1 beta

Stab-hh 90 motor.

Good to know that you made it! :( It tells us (and other users) that DiSEqC 1.2 is basically working with Twinhan/AzureWave/SkyStar HD2 etc. devices.

Hi Griga,

I have a Twinhan AD-SP400 which can rotate using usals the dish during scan but does not rotate on channel change (sometimes it works just one channel change and stops). I have the 1.1.04 driver and there are no other drivers available as far as i know. I have tried with positioner, usals, extended but still the same. I am using DVBViewer 4 (on vista 32) and also tried 4.01 beta to no avail.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Help much appreciated since this is really frustrating having to start a scan to change the satellite position before selecting a channel on a different sat. I really like DVBViewer and hope to have this problem solved asap.

Thanks

conradv

I would play a bit more with DiSEqC = Extended resp. the DiSEqC Editor. It allows to send commands repeatedly, to insert additional delays... that are the usual measures if DiSEqC basically works, but not reliably. Read more about it here.

I would play a bit more with DiSEqC = Extended resp. the DiSEqC Editor. It allows to send commands repeatedly, to insert additional delays... that are the usual measures if DiSEqC basically works, but not reliably. Read more about it here.

Yes that managed to get some channels to work but still not reliable enough. When it works it takesabout 10 seconds to move from Hotbird to Astra 19. BTW a message saying moving motor won't harm :( What I did, I have inserted 3 entries to go to hotbird as shown below.

1. Move positioner to Hotbird 13E

2. Delay of 250ms

3. Move positioner to Hotbird 13E

4. Delay of 250ms

5. Move positioner to Hotbird 13E

did the same thing for Astra 19E

Like this I managed to get it to work but on some particular channels it does not move the motor. Sometimes a close and open again DVBViewer works again. It seems a bit fishy since the original software of twinhan manages to rotate the dish properly and using the same driver. It seems that DVBViewer has to do some kind of hack to properly support ad-sp400 cards to solve this problem.

A friend of mine has the same problem with the same card. Are there any other members having this problem? I had read somewhere on this forum that the person writing this software is the owner of an ad-sp400. I wonder if he managed to get it to work properly.

Thanks

Conrad

BTW a message saying moving motor won't harm

DVBViewer gets no feedback about what the motor does (or does not). It just sends the commands, that's all.

but on some particular channels it does not move the motor.

Did you check the DiSEqC setting of these channels? Don't forget: DVBViewer Pro allows to set DiSEqC per channel! Do these channels have something in common? All of them vertical / horizontal / high / low band?

It seems that DVBViewer has to do some kind of hack to properly support ad-sp400 cards to solve this problem.

From the TransEdit manual:

Often enough user feedback, trial and error are the only means to solve resulting problems.
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys!

I have a similar problem. SkyStar HD2 + positioner. It looks like it only wants to drive in a single direction. It doesn't accept halt command, itt keeps turning it until it reaches the limit.

GoTo angular position works only once.

Any ideas to make it work reliably?

I am using DVBViewer beta v4.0.1.50, latest drivers from Technisat's website.

Edited by Robi!

As i read from other forums, some say that they managed to use the positioner with SkyStar HD2 and AltDVB. The configuration is like this:

Technisat Mantis BDA Receiver driver v1.1.0.402 (2008.01. 25.)

Program: AltDVB 2.2.0.3912 with Dev_BdaDriver.int

Not USALS mode, but Diseqc 1.2 - it works. However, they say that it works only if the channel you are moving from is on a transponder in the lower Ku band: 10,7-11,7 GHz. If it's in the highher Ku band: 11,7-12,75 GHz, the positioner doesn't move. You have to change to a channel in the lower Ku band first, and then change to a channel on the other satellite, to move the dish.

This is how AltDVB works with SkyStar HD2 and the mentioned driver. Same with the latest driver from technisat's website.

I'd be happy to at least see this behavior in DVBViewer.

As reported by several users, DiSEqC 1.1/1.2 works with the SkyStar HD2 and TerraTec Cinergy S2 HD (almost identical), latest drivers and the current DVBViewer Pro Beta or TransEdit 3.3 without any restrictions. Difficulties may arise from your hardware, its power consumption, timing behaviour, cable quality, don't know... you could play a bit with the DiSEqC Editor, e.g. by inserting delays before or after the command is sent.

Thanks. I tried to search the forum for several times. Maybe you can help me by posting a couple of links to posts explaining how they did that. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any post describing how did they manage to make it work.

Edited by Robi!

OK I tried several drivers with my SkyStar HD2 card:

TechniSat SkyStar HD2 v1.1.0.402 (came on original installation CD)

TechniSat SkyStar HD2 v1.1.1.302 (available currently as the latest driver on their website)

Twinhan BDA Mantis Driver 1.1.0.400 (clone card, doesn't work at all, Windows shows error that the device cannot be started)

Twinhan BDA Mantis Driver 1.1.1.500 (clone card, doesn't work at all, Windows shows error that the device cannot be started)

Twinhan BDA Mantis Driver 1.1.1.700 (clone card, doesn't work at all, Windows shows error that the device cannot be started)

None of these provided any solution to use SkyStar HD + Pozitioner motor under USALS. The motor starts to move at a certain point and doesn't stop until it reaches its physical limit. Can't be brought back from there.

PLEASE NOTE: The same setup, plugged into an EchoSmar 792 set top box works perfectly with USALS.

Please find attached my support.zip

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&id=18412

I really hope someone is willing to help.

Edited by Robi!
The driver included in the software package 1.2 is mandatory for DiSEqC. Previous drivers didn't work correctly.

Thanks, but as I previously stated, it DOESN'T work with USALS with this one either.

The driver included in the software package 1.2 is actually the TechniSat SkyStar HD2 v1.1.1.302, I wrote the version number to clarify and point exaclty which one I am talking about.

• 1 month later...
Thanks, but as I previously stated, it DOESN'T work with USALS with this one either.

The driver included in the software package 1.2 is actually the TechniSat SkyStar HD2 v1.1.1.302, I wrote the version number to clarify and point exaclty which one I am talking about.

Have to agree the movement was very sporadic, only seemed to work when it wanted with my SSHD2 i went back to using the tm3100 to move the motor.

I'd love to get rid of STB to be honest but don't want to be left with my motor on 28e going nowhere like it was...

• 3 weeks later...

I use a StabHH120 + Skystar 1 and Skystar DVB-S2 card with progdvb for many years now. First with the KVAdiseqc plugin and now with the build in positioner.

I never had problems to move the dish. I always use position commands (1 to 40) . I don't use usals.

Can anyone confirm i can use the Stab HH120 + Technotrend DVB-S2 card with DVBViewer before i waste my euro's?