Best setting for de-interlacing HDTV ?

Benjamin D

Hi Gents and Happy New Year 2009 !

I have a question for the DVBViewer crowd : what is your preferred/best setting for deinterlacing 1080i HDTV with an ATI card and DVBViewer ?

I use a Core2Duo E8200 + ATI 2600XT (Catalyst 8.12, latest) + floppy DTV-S2 with powercam aston 2.18 + DVBViewer 3.9.2, with the following setting :

- deinterlacing to "vector adaptative" in the Catalyst Control Center (not "automatic")

- CoreAVC for H264 codec in DVBViewer, with deinterlace to "hardware" in CoreAVC + VMR9 renderer

- TV to 1080@50Hz

The signal is Canal+ HD, at 1440 x 1080 @ 25fps, interlaced. The IQ is great (color, sharpness), but there are still some stutters from time to time. Scrolling text is not very very smooth.

For info, the Cyberlink h264 Codec gives me a jerky picture, actually unwatchable, ffdshow H264 does not work. I have not tried nVidia decoder.

I played around with the coreAVC settings ("bob" or "single field" de-interlacing), the ATI setting ("automatic" or "bob" or...) without dramatic improvement.

What do you guys with an ATI use for setting watching HDTV channels ? Does any of you have a perfect picture, and if yes, with what hw/sw ?

Thanks !

Edited by Benjamin D
Hi Gents,

Any idea ? Thanks in advance !

what does your cpu usage show? High? With the Cyberlink codec do you have dxva turned on? It works smoothly here, sharp pictures no stuttering.

I use CoreAVC by far the best (on my set-up)

ATI3650 HD & SS HD2, i too get stutter with cyberlink and couldn't get dxva to work with any codec...

CoreAVC was most CPU intensive 50% + but as it is mediacentre i don't care...

Edited by Milly
- deinterlacing to "vector adaptative" in the Catalyst Control Center (not "automatic")

I have that set to "automatic" here, seems to work ok, I've never tried vector adaptive

Thanks for your answers !

With CoreAVC, cpu usage is in the 40-50% range, which is ok, and Graphic card activity shown in Catalyst Control Center is 25% average.

With the Cyberlink codec and DVXA on, the cpu usage is 20-30%, CCC shows card at 5-6% top. But the image stutters quite a lot. The ATI support people recommend to shut down DVXA with the Cyberlink h264 codec... I still need to try that.

Starman345, what is your configuration (hardware and software) ? What type of settings do you have in DVBViewer (VMR9 as renderer for example?) - and is it also 1080i HDTV you're watching ? Sorry for so many questions, but I'd like to solve that problem once and for all !! :-)

Milly - I basically have the same questions... what are your configurations, and what type of HDTV signals are you wathcing ?

I also try without renderer, it also seems a little better - very strange...

Hardware:

Intel 6850 duo core 3.0 ghz

ATI 3870 video

Asus P5K-e motherboard

Dvbworld 2104 USB

Software:

Windows XP Pro SP3

DVBViewer 4.0 ( I notice you are using v3.92, have you tried 4.0? cpu usage seems to be better)

PowerDVD8

I am presently watching a 1920x1080 hd dvb-s2 signal with dxva on 0-2% cpu, gpu 10%, dxva off 45-50% cpu, gpu 0%. I am using the Cyberlink H.264/avc decoder, in DVBViewer, video renderer = overlay mixer. In the Cyberlink filter properties I have video mode set to auto detect.

Thanks Starman for the info

The only noticeable differences I see between our 2 configs are the graphic card (2600XT vs 3870), and possibly the TV card (even though I'm not sure this plays a role). I guess I have to run a full test with all possible settings, before changing my card... I'll keep you posted !

Thanks Starman for the info

The only noticeable differences I see between our 2 configs are the graphic card (2600XT vs 3870), and possibly the TV card (even though I'm not sure this plays a role). I guess I have to run a full test with all possible settings, before changing my card... I'll keep you posted !

And one other difference...Me -DVBViewer 4.0

You-DVBViewer 3.92

Might be worth a try?

Well Benjamin,

on my system I use cyberlink h264 codec provided with my dvb-s2 card software and it work with all renders.

With power dvd 8 trial I was not sure DxVa was working on EVR mode.

Some times, but not often I have breaks up in the signal stream, once with these breaks up the video went in a sort of an infinite loop repeating 2 second of the video but the audio went on.

Now with latest directx, all .net framework installed and latest 8.12 driver from ati I had only some breaks up but then the video go on.

Another good h264 codec is the divx h264 now is still in beta but I' ve read somewhere it should been realased this month. It doesn't make DXVA but seem to be a bit more faster than Coreavc.

My actual issue is that I don't have signal on the transponder of Astra HD an anixe hd on Astra 19° E.

Orbitalposition: Astra 1H 19,2 Grad Ost.

Frequenz: 11,9145 Gigahertz

Symbolrate: 27,5 MSym/s

FEC: 9/10

Perhaps may you check for me if you have signal and you can tune it?

Thank you for any help

Well Benjamin,

on my system I use cyberlink h264 codec provided with my dvb-s2 card software and it work with all renders.

With power dvd 8 trial I was not sure DxVa was working on EVR mode.

Some times, but not often I have breaks up in the signal stream, once with these breaks up the video went in a sort of an infinite loop repeating 2 second of the video but the audio went on.

Now with latest directx, all .net framework installed and latest 8.12 driver from ati I had only some breaks up but then the video go on.

Another good h264 codec is the divx h264 now is still in beta but I' ve read somewhere it should been realased this month. It doesn't make DXVA but seem to be a bit more faster than Coreavc.

My actual issue is that I don't have signal on the transponder of Astra HD an anixe hd on Astra 19° E.

Orbitalposition: Astra 1H 19,2 Grad Ost.

Frequenz: 11,9145 Gigahertz

Symbolrate: 27,5 MSym/s

FEC: 9/10

Perhaps may you check for me if you have signal and you can tune it?

Thank you for any help

Diego,

Can you say how your Twinhan 1041 works with DVBViewer? Are channel changes quick? Thanks

Diego,

Can you say how your Twinhan 1041 works with DVBViewer? Are channel changes quick? Thanks

well, channels doesn't change so quickly but after a very little while.

I' m not able to use direct tuning or new method of tuning as called but tuning is quite fast enought.

Edited by Diego

Hi guys,

Diego - I had a look and I receive Anixe HD signal with the exact settings you wrote in your post. It displays 1920x1080 (full hd), with Dolby digital sound. I also receive Astra HD+ fine. All works correct here. I live in Paris, but I don't think that makes a difference from a Satellite reception stand point... ?? Signal strength is 100% (shown in DVBViewer). If you want me to look at other things, let me know.

I am making progress on understanding what issues I have.

First, the "image stuttering" is only on live HDTV... live SD TV, blu ray, normal DVDs play fine and flawlessly. (Blu Rays at 1080p24 and Dolby 5.1 are just awesome, wow !)

Second - I loaded and installed ATI Tray Tool at http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733 - this shows fps, mem usage, etc. When I use Cyberlink H264 on HD channels, I can go as low as 15-20 fps and then, only then, the image stutters. When I use CoreAVC, I'm around 30-40 fps and the image is without stutter, most of the time. SD TV is at a flat 50 fps (refresh rate at 50 Hz anyway, so it does not go upper)- All tests made with VMR9 renderer.

Now, when fps goes down to 15-20 fps, the metrics do not show the card running out of memory, cpu and gpu use% are ok, so I think this is software related more than hardware related. Tough. I definitely need to try DVBViewer 4.0 as Starman says, and/or possibly other Catalyst driver. I'll also log the monitoring graphs to have a close look. It looks like I need to have 50 fps on HDTV to be ok.

Also - most of the time, the stutter comes after live HD TV has been on for 5-10 mins. ??

Can you guys tell me what fps you reach when watching HD TV with your different codecs ? This would help me a lot understanding what's limiting here... Thanks in advance.

Benjamin.

Edited by Benjamin D

Diego, thanks for the words on the Twinhan, my Dvbworld switches very fast with DVBViewer but lilke you I can't use direct tuning. I asked about the Twinhan because I am thinking of getting another card and am trying to decide which one.

Benjamin D,

I noticed you are using a cam with your floppydtv, have you tried viewing an un-encrypted channel to see it the problem persists? Are you pleased with your Floppydtv?

Hi Starman,

I tried un-encrypted HD channels, and got the same results ; I see stutter either when using Cyberlink (low fps as it seems), or when there is a large travelling scene.

My card (internal floppy-dtv s2 from Digital Everywhere), I am very pleased with. The installation is easy, and it uses only one PCI port (for card + cam). The channel scan is good. I never had issue with scanning and watching Canal+ channels (my favourite) with 3.9.2. DVBViewer 3.9.4 reports from time to time "audio scrambled", while the audio is not scrambled.

Do you guys know the "lead h264 codec" ? Do you know if it's any good ? http://www.leadcodecs.com/help/LEADh264VideoDecoder/ I need to give it a try.

I'm still wondering where to look to improve those fps. This is the last issue I have to solve to have my HTPC perfect... Any measure from your systems will be appreciated, thanks in advance !

Benjamin

Hi Starman,

I tried un-encrypted HD channels, and got the same results ; I see stutter either when using Cyberlink (low fps as it seems), or when there is a large travelling scene.

My card (internal floppy-dtv s2 from Digital Everywhere), I am very pleased with. The installation is easy, and it uses only one PCI port (for card + cam). The channel scan is good. I never had issue with scanning and watching Canal+ channels (my favourite) with 3.9.2. DVBViewer 3.9.4 reports from time to time "audio scrambled", while the audio is not scrambled.

Do you guys know the "lead h264 codec" ? Do you know if it's any good ? http://www.leadcodecs.com/help/LEADh264VideoDecoder/ I need to give it a try.

I'm still wondering where to look to improve those fps. This is the last issue I have to solve to have my HTPC perfect... Any measure from your systems will be appreciated, thanks in advance !

Benjamin

Benjamin,

Sorry I've taken a while to get back, my system is apart right now, doing some satellite dish mods so I can't give you any fps on those hd feeds right now but will tomorrow. Just a thought, do you have timeshift enabled? If so, you might try dis-ableing it. I remember having problems with buffer overflows in other software when using timeshift, never noticed a problem with DVBViewer but I hardly ever turn it on. Anyway, just a thought.

Benjamin,

thank you for the help with Astra hd and Anixe transponder. At this point I think to have some problem with my devices.

For the audio stuttering sometimes ago I've read somewhere there should be a sort of driver hotfix.

Try using the rebuild graph option, don't know if help or not but it is just a try.

As told by starman pay attention to timeshift. Possibly select a directory onto a dirrent disk by the system diskto store the timeshift file.

Then try to switch the status under dvb hardware window to preferred or high.

For the lead codec I tried sometimes ago a trial and on my system it was really heavy.

Bye

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies !

Dvbrewer - I use XP (latest SP3 updated though win update). When you say 50 fps with VMR7 and ffdshow, you're watching SD channels right ? I never could make ffdshow work in HD, can you ?? What type of graphic card do you have ?

Starman - no hurry for the fps, enjoy your hw modifications :biggrin: - When I use timeshift, it actually seems to get things a "little bit" better... ??

Diego - I'll test the rebuild graph option, I think this might help. Good luck with your research with your devices, let me know if I can help.

I tried the Lead H264 video decoder eval version yesterday. Very pleased with the preliminary results, I need to use it for longer periods of time now. The rate is a steady 25 fps (which makes sense since the Canal+ HD signal is 1440 x 1080i @ 25 fps), but it is indeed heavy : cpu% is 50-60% (vs CoreAVC 40-50%), GPU% is 10-15%. IQ is good, no stuttering, smooth motions. Deinterlacing does seem less performing than on CoreAVC, or thru the 2600XT, because there are some "combing" effects on fast travelling scenes. I'll post updates.

Well - looks like I need to try DVBViewer 4.0, then wait for DivX H264 codec, then... ?

Thx guys

Diego - I'll test the rebuild graph option, I think this might help. Good luck with your research with your devices, let me know if I can help.

Well - looks like I need to try DVBViewer 4.0, then wait for DivX H264 codec, then... ?

Thx guys

Well Benjamin now remenber another thing based on my experience with others dvb app and it was that also the proprer audio languages onder the option window may afflict audio with stutters.

Jus select the proprer audio language and see what happen. But I never had with issue with DVBViewer. :(

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies !

Dvbrewer - I use XP (latest SP3 updated though win update). When you say 50 fps with VMR7 and ffdshow, you're watching SD channels right ? I never could make ffdshow work in HD, can you ?? What type of graphic card do you have ?

Yes that was with ffdshow- I select skip deblocking when safe in ffdshow video decoder properties>Codecs>h.264/AVC. Also in output unselect all colorspaces except NV12, and select "set interlace flag in output media type" - auto. Then go to ATi Catalyst Control Center>Avivo Video>Basic Quality>uncheck "use automatic deinterlacing"- select best deinterlacer, either motion or vector adaptive.

Ok guys, just a quick update on this - I think I fixed it...

1) No matter what how I do de-interlacing, Cyberlink codec H264 will stutter at some point in watching HDTV. Turning on or off the DXVA will not change anything, neither the GPU% much (which is strange)

2) Lead H264 codec does NOT de-interlace at all (confirmed by the Leadtools support people)... this is why I get a steady 25 fps on my 1080i @ 25 fps signal, as well as "mice teeth" on fast travelling scenes. So Lead H264 codec has not much interest vs CoreAVC, which is cheaper and has more features. Plus the timeshift will freeze when used with this codec (on 3.9.2, have not tested the 4.0). So this codec is out.

3) When using CoreAVC with "none deinterlacing" checked, I will get my beloved 25 fps - ie the codec un-compresses the video stream without de-interlacing, same as Lead h264 codec. If I try to use the CoreAVC software options for deinterlacing ("bob", "single field"), or points to the graphic card with "hardware deinterlacing" on, I will get stutter at some point as well, and the frame rate will vary a lot (from 15-20 in very fast travelling to 50 fps with still images). So it looks like the de-interlacing process interfers with the uncompression, and not for the best.

4) I set up ffdshow deinterlacing filter as a raw video post-processing filter after VMR9 renderer, using the "post processing" plug-in in the members area. My beloved Canal+ HD is 1440 x 1080, so I did use "resize" filter as well to 1920 x 1080. This combination gives the best result so far : steady 25 fps, clean deinterlacing, no stutter on my first 3-4 hrs of testing. It's kind of ugly because CPU% climbs to the 60-70%, and GPU% is low around 10%, but the result is achieved. I guess I'll stick to this for now.

5) Next steps : 4.0, Divx7 H264 codec, Catalyst 8.13...

Thanks guys for your replies and info, :angry:

Edited by Benjamin D
Ok guys, just a quick update on this - I think I fixed it...

1) No matter what how I do de-interlacing, Cyberlink codec H264 will stutter at some point in watching HDTV. Turning on or off the DXVA will not change anything, neither the GPU% much (which is strange)

2) Lead H264 codec does NOT de-interlace at all (confirmed by the Leadtools support people)... this is why I get a steady 25 fps on my 1080i @ 25 fps signal, as well as "mice teeth" on fast travelling scenes. So Lead H264 codec has not much interest vs CoreAVC, which is cheaper and has more features. Plus the timeshift will freeze when used with this codec (on 3.9.2, have not tested the 4.0). So this codec is out.

3) When using CoreAVC with "none deinterlacing" checked, I will get my beloved 25 fps - ie the codec un-compresses the video stream without de-interlacing, same as Lead h264 codec. If I try to use the CoreAVC software options for deinterlacing ("bob", "single field"), or points to the graphic card with "hardware deinterlacing" on, I will get stutter at some point as well, and the frame rate will vary a lot (from 15-20 in very fast travelling to 50 fps with still images). So it looks like the de-interlacing process interfers with the uncompression, and not for the best.

4) I set up ffdshow deinterlacing filter as a raw video post-processing filter after VMR9 renderer, using the "post processing" plug-in in the members area. My beloved Canal+ HD is 1440 x 1080, so I did use "resize" filter as well to 1920 x 1080. This combination gives the best result so far : steady 25 fps, clean deinterlacing, no stutter on my first 3-4 hrs of testing. It's kind of ugly because CPU% climbs to the 60-70%, and GPU% is low around 10%, but the result is achieved. I guess I'll stick to this for now.

5) Next steps : 4.0, Divx7 H264 codec, Catalyst 8.13...

Thanks guys for your replies and info, ;)

Benjamin, if you give DVBViewer 4.0 a try, let us know if you think its helped your situation. In my case I think cpu usage dropped quite a bit.

Don't you have to pay for it, or is that just the encoder?

Well there is a free version and a pro version.

Yes if you want to use the encoder you have to buy the pro or the plus version.

there is also a version where you can use the pro codec in others third parties programs.

With the last divx encoder you can recode youre video in h264 format into a mkv container.

Well there is a free version and a pro version.

Yes if you want to use the encoder you have to buy the pro or the plus version.

there is also a version where you can use the pro codec in others third parties programs.

With the last divx encoder you can recode youre video in h264 format into a mkv container.

Has anyone tried this with DVBViewer?

Hi Guys,

I tried the DivX7 H264 decoder (free) with DVBViewer (3.9.2 - did not get the time to upgrade and try 4.0 yet sorry)

It works perfectly well with HD channels (Canal+, Anixe HD, Astra HD+) - it does not seem to de-interlace (no software option available), so this has to be done by ffdshow or graphic card. The frame rate is good (steady 25 fps in my case), the image quality is good as well.

Very nice codec, as good as CoreAVC in my opinion - and free !

Thx

PS - Starman, do you think I can "save" my 3.9.2 config by renaming the folder "DVBViewer 3.9.2", and install 4.0 next to it ?

I've the same problem with DVBViewer 4.0 and Asus HD4350 graphic card.

I bought this card for to get DXVA in HD channels.

I use last Cyberlink PDVDv8 h.264/VC1 codecs and last CCC drivers (v.8.12). This codec get activate DXVA with .mkv files in DVBViewer but don´t work with HD dvb-s2 encpryted channels. For play .mkv files I use Haali Media Splitter and maybe this is the difference.

I have seen if I uncheck DXVA box in codec control panel, the CPU load increase (same thing happened with my old Nvidia 7600GS which was incompatible with DXVA) but when check it , GPU and CPU loads are too high still. I' ve tested all render mode in XP Pro SP3 32 bits version: Overlay, VMR7, VMR9.

Somebody knows the solution?

Thanks.

DXVA working with HD file:

dxvaom5.th.jpg

No DXVA with HD channel (DXVA box check in codec):

nodxvaqz6.th.jpg

Edited by riviera

Hi Riviera,

When you say you have the same problem, which one are you reffering to ? No getting DXVA activated ? Image stutter on HD channels ?

For info, I never got to 77% GPU activity ... so definitely never had DVXA on

Ben

Hi.

I refer to I don´t get DXVA acceleration (I think this is connected with this topic).

You say that don´t get 77% GPU load. In the 2nd capture I get this GPU load in HD channels, does It mean that DXVA is working? because the CPU load is still too high. Also In 1st capture you can see that when DXVA is working with mkv files, the GPU load is 0% and CPU load <10%. So I doubt that hard. acceleration is working with HD channels.

Thanks.

Hi,

Well actually I do not know how to correlate GPU% load and DXVA on/off - some numbers I saw on my system (Core 2 Duo E8200 + 2 Go + 2600XT 8.12 + windows MCE 2005) :

1) when watching Blu Ray movies at 1080p24 with PowerDVD 7.3 and cyberlink codec H264 with dxva checked on, I get CPU% load at 20-30% max, and GPU% load within the 10-15% max.

2) when doing my (unsuccessful) tests with hardware deinterlacing thru 2600XT : I get 20-30% GPU load, CPU anywhere within the 30-50%

3) with ffdshow and nothing complicated asked to the 2600Xt (no deinterlacing no DXVA) : GPU% around 10%

Is your image on hd channels fluid and without stutter, even watching sports ?

I can't help thinking this is a ATI driver problem. The release notes of 8.12 say that a known issue (with Vista) is that watching 1080i can get a corrupted image.

I'm happy I found a work around to my particular issue, but this does not fix our problems..

Hi.

My system: AMD Opteron 180 (equivalent to Dual Core 4800 +), 2GB Ram, Asus HD4350 512 DDR2, Windows XP Pro SP3, DVBViewer Pro 4.0. The image on HD channels is fluid and without stutter even watching hd sports. But it's disappointing not being able to use the feature which I bought my graphic card and that would allow me to use the computer in more tasks while DVBViewer is running.

I can´t understand that difference between GPU and CPU load on hd files and hd channels assuming dxva is working. The only explanation that I find is the splitter used (Haali on mkv's and DvbSource on HD channels). Maybe DvbSource not activate properly graphics acceleration in combination with the latest Catalyst drivers. Hopefully someone with Ati graphic driver and access to encrypted HD channels we could clarify something.

Riviera,

Besides the different splitters used when watching *.mkv files and watching live HDTV, is the nature of the file different ? I mean, is the video *.mkv encoded 1080p (progressive) ? (program "infoedit" can tell you) - Live HD TV is interlaced, I believe DXVA does not work with Cyberlink H264 either on my system.

Maybe you can try watching 1080i and 1080p through the exact same filter chain to see if this causes DXVA not working.

Another question regarding your config : are you using the hardware deinterlacing of your graphic card when you watch HD channels ?

Hi gents,

Another test done here, with strange results :

1) I re-installed Catalyst 8.12 and turned on HD TV : surprise, the image is very fluid with the Cyberlink Codec H264, with 50 fps (not 25 ?!), DXVA checked on, and deinterlacing settings to "automatic" in the Catalyst Control Center. Looking at channels like Astra HD+, Anixe HD, I get a CPU load within the 20-25%, and GPU load within the 50-70% at last ! So I get the combination of material acceleration + hardware deinterlacing the other lads talked about in the previous posts, and the image definitely looks good.

2) Then I watch a Blu Ray with Power DVD 7.3.4407... and boom, I loose DXVA and everything : CPU is within the 40-50%, GPU within the 10%. When I go back to DVBViewer, I have my same old issues, no way to go back to 1).

So actually watching BR with PowerDVD messes up something in the codec setup, or makes it unusuable with DVBViewer.

3) I tried DVBViewer 4.0, but get the steps 1 and 2 as well.

Riviera, that starts looking a lot like your issue.

I have to look further into Power DVD now... Graphedit... ? ... Does anybody know DirectX well enough to give me directions for further testing here ?

Thanks

Edited by Benjamin D

Hi Benjamin.

I continued testing and looking the problem.

I've searched hd files with this features: .mkv, h.264 codec, 1080i, but I've only found 720/1080p material. I hope so find any HD video with these characteristics to tested if DVBViewer+Haali+Cyberlink activate DXVA acceleration (if this happen the problem could be DvbSource). I've tested with hardware deinterlacing activate (unchecked in avivo options) but same results.

Regards

Well - one full day of frustrating testing here

First I have a new bug - the powerdvd 7.3.4407 is now unusuable. When I launch it to watch a regular DVD, the system will hang, and will eventually display a windows blue screen, saying in essence : "windows has stopped because your graphic driver is in infinite loop", "it is either a problem with the graphic card or with the pilot". I can fix that by :

- going back to the original OEM version

- disabling hardware acceleration in Configuration Pannel > Display > Advanced > ...

Second, I tried all catalyst versions from 8.7 included to 8.12 included. They basically have the same behavior : the HW accel would work after the fresh install (GPU usage between 50-70%, CPU usage 15-25%, 50 fps). Then, if I launch the old powerdvd, restart runtime, or do some other things, the HW accel will go away (GPU back to 10%, CPU up to 50-60%, 25 fps). No way to get it back on.

I upgraded to .net 3.0 SP1 (was 2.0 before), re-installed latest DirectX from Microsoft web site... to no avail.

All the DirectX tests are good, even those with HW accel.

I still do not know if this is HW or SW, and what the right behavior of my system should be.

I'm running out of ideas here.

I'll keep you posted.

Hi guys,

Saga continues - after a clean re-install of 8.12 (rebooting windows in safe mode, cleaning the registry of all ATI material, rebooting again, installing 8.12), and REMOVING ATI TRAY TOOLS, my issue with PowerDVD 7.3.4407 is gone.

I'm back to my post of 16 Jan, 18:23.

Another piece of info :

- no problem at all with HW accel in SD... it can be toggled on/off and the GPU% will show.

- the DirectX and Direct3D tests in dxdiag will run fine, sending the GPU% within the 90%+ range (I guess this is "easy" hw accel... :-) )

- upgraded to 3.0.net framework, no change.

I submitted a ticket to ATI, but not too optimistic about their ability to help.

I gave feed-back as well to the ATI developper team.

Looking forward to catalyst 9.1, we may be lucky... :)

See you

Benjamin

Hi guys,

Here is the end of the saga...

First - I purchased a fanless 4650. The DXVA worked right away, stable, in PowerDVD and DVBViewer. Great IQ with the Cyberlink H264 codec. DXVA did not work with Media Player Classic.

Second - I had answer from ATI support, with a step by step guide to troubleshoot this DXVA issue. Good guide, I'm attaching it to the post. I had followed step 1 (re-installing catalyst driver cleanly with 'driver cleaner') without success before. This time, I followed step 2 and upgraded the BIOS of my motherboard. Then DXVA worked in Media Player Classic.

So it is possible that the motherboard BIOS upgrade would have fixed the DXVA issue with the 2600XT... I guess I'll never know because I'll keep the 4650 and re-use the 2600XT elsewhere !

Good viewing to you all

Ben

DXVA_troubleshoot.txt

Edited by Benjamin D