BBC HD files stop playing after a couple of seconds

boulder2

Does anyone else have this issue ?

Lately I seem to be unable to play BBC HD files, and it does not matter whether I play them with DVBViewer or Mediaplayer Classic.

The strange thing is that the files start to play, and then after a couple of seconds the image freezes, the icon changes to a PAUSE (II) icon.

I also tried opening the file in Windows Mediaplayer, and again the play button changes to a pause button.

I have tried with the latest COREAVC and with Cyberlink codecs, and I get the same results.

Also, although the stream seems to contain both a narrative audiostream and a regular one, I am only able to play the narrative one, which is annoying as it contains background comments for the blind.

I doubt that this is a DVBViewer problem, but I am in doubt as to whether it is something to do with my codecs being messed up or with the files themselves.

Edited by boulder2
Try TSPlayer (members area -> tools). It's more suitable for analyzing (and in certain cases fixing) problems in TS files.

I downloaded a new version of TSPLAYER, and now I can play back the same file that I cannot under DVBViewer.

What I cannot find is how I can analyse that file.

I have cut the parts that come before and after that file, and the result is that when I open this new file again under DVBViewer I get exactly the same result : it freezes after a couple of seconds.

If I open the file in VLC it plays, but then subtitles (Teletext/DVB) don't work, however, now I can choose the right audiochannel.

Also, if I jump to another part of the file, VLC crashes.

With Media Player Classic the trimmed file seems to play, and I cannot see the subtitles.

I 'll probably succeed if I extract them with ProjectX first.

But what is wrong with this file or is there something wrong with my codecs ???

Would the BBC HD fixer fix it?

It was not sufficient.

Eventually, the way I was able to play the files as I wanted, is as follows :

1) Ran BBCHDfixer

2) Ran TSPlayer and extracted ONLY the AC3 sound

3) Extracted the subtitles with ProjectX

4) Played the TS file with Mediaplayer Classic, and used the AC3 file as "dub".

Played the SSA file for playing back the Teletext subtitles.

:)

Not easy.

Also, although the stream seems to contain both a narrative audiostream and a regular one, I am only able to play the narrative one, which is annoying as it contains background comments for the blind.

I've always recorded the normal stream(AC3) but recently it has captured the video file and no audio at all so something has changed? I can play them fine with mpc but as I say no audio,I've had to change to the NAR stream but had no problems with the audio and background comments,I'm using the arcsoft codec's BTW.

I've always recorded the normal stream(AC3) but recently it has captured the video file and no audio at all so something has changed? I can play them fine with mpc but as I say no audio,I've had to change to the NAR stream but had no problems with the audio and background comments,I'm using the arcsoft codec's BTW.

Can you play back the file with audio in DVBViewer? If you can do that but not in MPC-HC you need to use BBC HD fixer.

Edited by Griga
Wrong link corrected
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems the way I can get the files to play under DVBViewer is :

Untick the TS/M2S in the DirectX tab for "Use DVBViewer Filter for"

That gives me less than stellar playback for MPEG2 files though, so I turn it on for that again.

• 1 month later...
It seems the way I can get the files to play under DVBViewer is :

Untick the TS/M2S in the DirectX tab for "Use DVBViewer Filter for"

That gives me less than stellar playback for MPEG2 files though, so I turn it on for that again.

I forgot to mention that if I do that, I cannot get (Teletext) subtitles to work.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone else have this issue ?

Lately I seem to be unable to play BBC HD files, and it does not matter whether I play them with DVBViewer or Mediaplayer Classic.

The strange thing is that the files start to play, and then after a couple of seconds the image freezes, the icon changes to a PAUSE (II) icon.

I also tried opening the file in Windows Mediaplayer, and again the play button changes to a pause button.

I have tried with the latest COREAVC and with Cyberlink codecs, and I get the same results.

I doubt that this is a DVBViewer problem, but I am in doubt as to whether it is something to do with my codecs being messed up or with the files themselves.

I will reinstall my PC shortly, so I hope to find out if it is codec related or if the error is in the recordings themselves.