ativvaxx.dll blue screens when starting DVB Viewer Pro v4 in Windows X

antdude

Hello.

Ever since I upgraded my PC with new major hardware parts since 12/27/2008, I have ran into two annoying Windows XP Pro. SP3's blue screens of death (BSoD) problem when I loaded (manually and XP's scheduler) up my DVBViewer Pro v4.0 program (a DTV program).

The blue screen error said something about ativvaxx.dll (had tried both Catalyst drivers v8.12 and v9.1). I ran WinDbg on the 2 GB memory.dmp file:

Microsoft ® Windows Debugger Version 6.10.0003.233 X86

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP]

Kernel Complete Dump File: Full address space is available

Symbol search path is: srv*c:\symbols\*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Executable search path is:

Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (4 procs) Free x86 compatible

Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS

Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236

Machine Name:

Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055d720

Debug session time: Sat Jan 31 19:56:31.568 2009 (GMT-8)

System Uptime: 0 days 22:09:50.346

Loading Kernel Symbols

Loading User Symbols

Loading unloaded module list

* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 8E, {c000008e, bf58edb0, a6e93068, 0}

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ativvaxx.dll -

*** Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ***

*** In order for this command to work properly, your symbol path ***

*** must point to .pdb files that have full type information. ***

*** Certain .pdb files (such as the public OS symbols) do not ***

*** contain the required information. Contact the group that ***

*** provided you with these symbols if you need this command to ***

*** work. ***

*** Type referenced: kernel32!pNlsUserInfo ***

*** work. ***

Probably caused by : ativvaxx.dll ( ativvaxx!vMMDLLInitFuncs+ca30 )

Followup: MachineOwner

---------

2: kd> !analyze -v

* Bugcheck Analysis *

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (8e)

This is a very common bugcheck. Usually the exception address pinpoints

the driver/function that caused the problem. Always note this address

as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.

Some common problems are exception code 0x80000003. This means a hard

coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but this system was booted

/NODEBUG. This is not supposed to happen as developers should never have

hardcoded breakpoints in retail code, but ...

If this happens, make sure a debugger gets connected, and the

system is booted /DEBUG. This will let us see why this breakpoint is

happening.

Arguments:

Arg1: c000008e, The exception code that was not handled

Arg2: bf58edb0, The address that the exception occurred at

Arg3: a6e93068, Trap Frame

Arg4: 00000000

Debugging Details:

------------------

*** work. ***

*** work. ***

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000008e - {EXCEPTION} Floating-point division by zero.

FAULTING_IP:

ativvaxx!vMMDLLInitFuncs+ca30

bf58edb0 d8f1 fdiv st,st(1)

TRAP_FRAME: a6e93068 -- (.trap 0xffffffffa6e93068)

ErrCode = 00000000

eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=e418e010 esi=e3e62360 edi=e199b220

eip=bf58edb2 esp=a6e930dc ebp=e18ce3f8 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc

cs=0008 ss=0010 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0030 gs=0000 efl=00010246

ativvaxx!vMMDLLInitFuncs+0xca32:

bf58edb2 d95c2410 fstp dword ptr [esp+10h] ss:0010:a6e930ec=44a00000

Resetting default scope

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x8E

PROCESS_NAME: DVBViewer.exe

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 804fe827 to 804f9f43

STACK_TEXT:

a6e92c30 804fe827 0000008e c000008e bf58edb0 nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x1b

a6e92ff8 80542095 a6e93014 00000000 a6e93068 nt!KiDispatchException+0x3b1

a6e93060 8054203a e18ce3f8 bf58edb2 badb0d00 nt!CommonDispatchException+0x4d

a6e93150 bf58db4f e18ce518 a6e93200 ffc00000 nt!Kei386EoiHelper+0x17e

WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

a6e9316c bf586fcd e199b220 e199b220 a6e93200 ativvaxx!vMMDLLInitFuncs+0xb7cf

00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 ativvaxx!vMMDLLInitFuncs+0x4c4d

STACK_COMMAND: .bugcheck ; kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:

ativvaxx!vMMDLLInitFuncs+ca30

bf58edb0 d8f1 fdiv st,st(1)

SYMBOL_NAME: ativvaxx!vMMDLLInitFuncs+ca30

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: ativvaxx

IMAGE_NAME: ativvaxx.dll

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 496d6494

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x8E_ativvaxx!vMMDLLInitFuncs+ca30

BUCKET_ID: 0x8E_ativvaxx!vMMDLLInitFuncs+ca30

Followup: MachineOwner

---------

2: kd> lmvm ativvaxx

start end module name

bf582000 bf7e4680 ativvaxx (export symbols) ativvaxx.dll

Loaded symbol image file: ativvaxx.dll

Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\ativvaxx.dll

Image name: ativvaxx.dll

Timestamp: Tue Jan 13 20:05:40 2009 (496D6494)

CheckSum: 00263645

ImageSize: 00262680

Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

My detailed computer configurations can be found here: http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary computer). ativvaxx.dll appears to be for video accelerator. I am using PowerDVD 7's decoder for my MPEG-2s. I also attached support.zip.

Does anyone know what's up? I can't have these blue screens if my PC acts like a media center (video recording and playbacks). ;)

Thank you in advance. o:)

support.zip

Edited by antdude

You may try using Windows Vista or Windows 7, I'm using ATI 4550 and Catalyst 9.1, no such issues met. Also, using Vista or 7, you can use EVR video renderer to get the best video quality.

Just a suggestion..

You may try using Windows Vista or Windows 7, I'm using ATI 4550 and Catalyst 9.1, no such issues met. Also, using Vista or 7, you can use EVR video renderer to get the best video quality.

Just a suggestion..

No thanks to Vista and Windows 7. I have old programs/softwares (PowerVCR II, QBB, old games with EAX, etc.) and hardwares (SB Audigy2 ZS' EAX, ASUS TV tuner for inputs, etc.) that won't work in Vista and Windows 7. ;) Plus, I am fine in XP (less DRM, faster, and still supported). Edited by antdude
i have xp and windows 7 in different partitions, i got say i was one of the "down with vista guys" but windows 7 flyes! my opinion, way better and faster.
Meh, it's OK. I like XP. I prefer 2000 more, but not newer stuff aren't supported. :) I will wait until XP becomes less supported.

I found the patterns to have better chances of reproducing the blue screens with the same error. It seems like it is related to playing games (e.g., Crysis, Burnout Paradise game, Call of Duty 4; loading main menus only and exiting don't always reproduce -- have to load a level/mission/map) and 3D screen savers (e.g., Marine Aquarium). After playing/watching, exiting a game, and running DVBViewer Pro will cause a blue screen (same error). It doesn't seem to matter how long I wait after exiting the game/3D screen saver too (can reproduce it seconds or hours after exiting). ;)

Now the question is, WHY? ;) I cannot seem to reproduce this in DVBViewer TE v4.5.1.28 though, but can reproduce it in DVBViewer Pro after trying TE. What does TE do different from Pro for video? I don't know what decoder and other video setups it uses (GraphEdit connect doesn't seem to work -- won't show up). However, I did try changing the decoder from PowerDVD 7 to system default, ffdshow, and Nero 8's video decoder. All were able to reproduce the blue screens (used 3D screen savers). I also messed with

VMR9 = seems to be not crashing, BUT no fullscreen overlay on my TV! I can't have that from my mini-media center PC. ;)

VMR7 = crash

overlay = crash

system default = crash

One time, my DVBViewer Pro's settings got resetted back to defaults during the video rendering setting change because the blue screen came up while DVBViewer Pro was changing to the new setting. DOH! Where does DVBViewer Pro keep these settings? I need to back those up if I am to experiment more. :(

I guess for now, I need to reboot after gaming before loading DVBViewer Pro. :(

Edited by antdude

Since ativvaxx.dll is a video accelerator, is there a way to disable it to see if the blue screen crashes still happen? Or tell DVBViewer Pro v4 not to use it?

Edited by antdude

It doesn't look like VMR9 will work for me since my DVBViewer Pro decided to crash (no errors) after about 40 minutes of two HDTV tuners recording. I also noticed the video colors were going crazy. ;)

Antdube,

A pretty basic step you've probably done already, but just in case : I had BSoD with windows XP SP3, 2600XT + 8.12, DVB V 3.9.2 and 4.0. I removed the catalyst driver, cleaned up the registry with DC Cleaner in safe mode, then re-installed the catalyst driver. I also removed ATI tray tools which for some reason messed up my config.

BSoD disappeared.

I could not get DXVA to work properly in HD with 2600XT, I have now a 4650 + Windows xp sp3 + DVB V 4.0 + catalyst 9.1 - everything works fine

Good luck

Ben

Antdube,

A pretty basic step you've probably done already, but just in case : I had BSoD with windows XP SP3, 2600XT + 8.12, DVB V 3.9.2 and 4.0. I removed the catalyst driver, cleaned up the registry with DC Cleaner in safe mode, then re-installed the catalyst driver. I also removed ATI tray tools which for some reason messed up my config.

BSoD disappeared.

I could not get DXVA to work properly in HD with 2600XT, I have now a 4650 + Windows xp sp3 + DVB V 4.0 + catalyst 9.1 - everything works fine

Good luck

Ben

Hmm,I guess I can do that but it was a clean one since I only have had the ATI video card and drivers (v8.12 and v9.1) since 12/27/2008. Which driver cleaner did you use? And was your BSoD the same error I had? Edited by antdude

The driver cleaner I used was Driver Cleaner 1.5 at : http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

It is a small harmless utility that removes registry keys after a un-installation and really cleans things up.

As far as BSOD, the dll involved was (out of memory) : ati2vga.dll or so, ie the driver itself. The text was that the driver was "caught in infinite loop" - does not look exactly like your issue.

Ben

The driver cleaner I used was Driver Cleaner 1.5 at : http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

It is a small harmless utility that removes registry keys after a un-installation and really cleans things up.

As far as BSOD, the dll involved was (out of memory) : ati2vga.dll or so, ie the driver itself. The text was that the driver was "caught in infinite loop" - does not look exactly like your issue.

Ben

Driver Cleaner Professional seems old (2006!). Are you sure it is safe to use? I did find Driver Sweeper which is more recent (2008), but haven't ran it yet. I will do it during the long weekend in case something goes wrong and lack of time right now.

I did not know Driver Sweeper - might be good as well

I know that Driver Cleaner is recommended by well-known French sites. I used it several times, it just removes ATI-related registry keys. Your call.

Ben

I did not know Driver Sweeper - might be good as well

I know that Driver Cleaner is recommended by well-known French sites. I used it several times, it just removes ATI-related registry keys. Your call.

Ben

Thanks Ben. I might run both then this weekend or so.

Weird, now I can't reproduce the blue screens. The only thing I recalled was messing with ATI's theater and AVIVO options (hitting their defaults and changing them). Hmm! I will keep this thread updated as I continue my investigation...

I found another pattern. It looks like changing channels, after running 3D stuff, can also blue screen. I reproduced it several times.

I noticed TE version doesn't have OSD, so I tried disabling it but that didn't help. ;)

I think I manage to stop the blue screens. I ran DirectX 9.0c (November 2008 update)'s dxdiag.exe and disabled its DirectDraw acceleration. When I turned it on and try to crash, it reproduced!

I also get no BSoDs with the 3rd slider notch (disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations...) in XP's Display Properties Troubleshoot -> Hardware acceleration.

Is there a way to disable DirectX stuff for DVBViewer Pro only? TE doesn't seem to use DirectX since I don't see its settings. I still have yet to reproduce the BSoD in TE too.

:huh:

Edited by antdude

Oh - sounds familiar again

At the time I was struggling with making DXVA work with my 2600XT, I installed a software (ATI Tray Tools) that eventually messed up my configuration and ended up with BSODs (described earlier in my post on this thread).

When turning off the DXVA thru the windows settings (Display > Troubleshoot > Hardware Accel), I had the BSODs disappear as well.

I got rid of the BSOD with the driver cleaner thing, (desinstalling ATI Tray Tools also), and had DXVA work by... upgrading to a 4650.

What graphic card do you have ?

Also, maybe you can have a look at the ATI support message at the end of my post, it might be useful. ( http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...31448&st=30 ; file "ATI troubleshoot.txt" in last post)

Let us know how things go...

Oh - sounds familiar again

At the time I was struggling with making DXVA work with my 2600XT, I installed a software (ATI Tray Tools) that eventually messed up my configuration and ended up with BSODs (described earlier in my post on this thread).

When turning off the DXVA thru the windows settings (Display > Troubleshoot > Hardware Accel), I had the BSODs disappear as well.

I got rid of the BSOD with the driver cleaner thing, (desinstalling ATI Tray Tools also), and had DXVA work by... upgrading to a 4650.

What graphic card do you have ?

Also, maybe you can have a look at the ATI support message at the end of my post, it might be useful. ( http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...31448&st=30 ; file "ATI troubleshoot.txt" in last post)

Let us know how things go...

Interesting. Did you have any BSoDs in other programs and games? I don't so far. I don't have ATI Tray Tools or never used it before. My ATI driver is pretty much new and should be clean (did a major hardware upgrade on 12/27/2008). I will try uninstalling, running driver cleaners (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745 doesn't show any download links and isn't that old from 2006?), etc. this weekend (can't now). My system specifications can be foun here: http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary Windows machine -- have an ATI Radeon 4870 512 MB PCIe video card). Edited by antdude

Actually, I had systematic freeze of PowerDVD 7.3.4407 when trying to play a DVD, and Cyberlink Advisor freezing also.

Freezes resulted (after several seconds) into BSOD saying "infinite loop" bla bla bla.

4870 has the horsepower to do everything...

also, I saw people complaining about the 9.1 and DXVA not working on the ATI forum : http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...threadid=107909 This may be related.

There is also mention of a tool "dxva checker", which I never heard of (!), but seems useful.

Edited by Benjamin D
Actually, I had systematic freeze of PowerDVD 7.3.4407 when trying to play a DVD, and Cyberlink Advisor freezing also.

Freezes resulted (after several seconds) into BSOD saying "infinite loop" bla bla bla.

also, I saw people complaining about the 9.1 and DXVA not working on the ATI forum : http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...threadid=107909 This may be related.

There is also mention of a tool "dxva checker", which I never heard of (!), but seems useful.

Interesting. I recall trying other decoders like ffdshow and still got the blue screens. I never had blue screen with PowerDVD v7.0 (not 7.3) player.

Also, I never knew AMD has a forum!

Edited by antdude

I don't have the skills to diagnose your problem and provide a direct answer but can offer some general comments.

Previously I had BSOD problems and found that my anti-virus F-secure was the culprit with conflicts in memory allocation. The solution was to uninstall F-secure, finish tweaking everything else, then reinstall the AV. Try uninstalling/reinstalling whatever you suspect as your culprit.

I have upgraded to XP SP3 without causing any problems whatsoever.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1335794185 suggested I try replacing the five ativva*.* files with Catalyst v8.8's files in safe mode:

3107788 2008-08-01 04:59 ativva5x.dat

887724 2008-08-01 04:59 ativva6x.dat

3568 2008-07-06 16:07 ativvaxx.cap

3107788 2008-08-01 04:59 ativvaxx.dat

2183552 2008-08-01 03:59 ativvaxx.dll

And woah! I think it is working! Usually when the blue screen comes up, I saw a GREEN video display for less than a second. Maybe that's causing it in v8.12 and v9.1 drivers?

Bad news: My video is much darker and less colorful. Is that normal? I had to use DVBViewer Pro's display to adjust them.

With this temporary workaround, I wonder how this will affect my PC games like Crysis, World in Conflict, etc.? I haven't tested them. Screen savers seem OK fine.

So what now? Do I have to keep using this workaround? So, how can I disable DirectX acceleration in Pro? TE doesn't seem to use it.

Happy for you that you're making good progress !

Reading from the thread on the other forum, am I right understanding that DXVA is somehow "broken" under XP from 8.9 onwards ??

It seems like it. I am asking to see if v8.9 to v8.11 have it too since v8.12 and v9.1 have the problem. Either case, I am surprised ATI still hasn't fixed it. :blink:

Still puzzzled why DVBViewer TE doesn't have this problem and wonder what it uses for video stuff.

Edited by antdude
It seems like it. I am asking to see if v8.9 to v8.11 have it too since v8.12 and v9.1 have the problem. Either case, I am surprised ATI still hasn't fixed it. :blink:

Still puzzzled why DVBViewer TE doesn't have this problem and wonder what it uses for video stuff.

Using five older ativa*.* files in c:\windows\system32\ with Catalyst v9.1 set:

v8.11 = Frozen (no blue screen) for the first attempt. Second and third attempts: tried without running a screen saver and then DVBViewer Pro, got a blue screen but with ati2dvag. Didn't see or hear anything between its launch and lock. Was able to ping the frozen box though during the first attempt, but couldn't ssh into it.

v8.10 - v8.8 = No hard lock and crashes (just dark screen and less colors -- easy to fix)

For now, I am going to use v8.10 video accelerator files instead of v8.8 and v9.1 for video acceleration with the latest Catalyst drivers.

So, it looks like the problem started at v8.11. Hence why I saw the problem in v8.12 (when I started using my new 4870 video card on 12/27/2009) with Catalyst v8.12 and v9.1. :wacko:

Edited by antdude

I see v9.2 Catalyst driver and its CCC are released, but its PDF release notes didn't mention about any video acceleration fixes/changes/issues. :bye: I don't think v9.2 fixed it, but I will try upgrading it this weekend and reproduce. If BSoD is still there, then time to use the ugly workaround. B)

So I finally tried v9.2 and was able to reproduce the darn blue screens. I have to use v8.10 video driver accelerator files as a workaround. :(

I am still scratching my head why DVBViewer TE doesn't have this problem and Pro v4 does. Is there a way to disable video accelerator in v4?

• 4 months later...

FYI. I am still having this problem in the latest DVBViewer Pro v4.2.0.10 beta and ATI Catalyst driver v9.6. I also tried uninstalling old ATI stuff, cleaning out their left overs, and reinstalling but those did not help either. :)

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

Neither had any DVBViewer such issue with ATI or NVidia graphic, including IGP....under XP SP3...neither. Used several DVB devices Terestrial+SAT.

Provided both .NET and Visual C++ are installed, the ASUS DVB device should be suspected in priority, then the motherboard itself.

Pls test another DVB device.

Have in mind that some ASUS NF4 motherboard + their daughter company Asrock, had design motherboard PCI layout issue. In that case, the best is tu use USB device.

Cheers.

Edited by trifon33
Neither had any DVBViewer such issue with ATI or NVidia graphic, including IGP....under XP SP3...neither. Used several DVB devices Terestrial+SAT.

Provided both .NET and Visual C++ are installed, the ASUS DVB device should be suspected in priority, then the motherboard itself.

Pls test another DVB device.

Have in mind that some ASUS NF4 motherboard + their daughter company Asrock, had design motherboard PCI layout issue. In that case, the best is tu use USB device.

I don't have another DVB device nor do I want to spend money. I used to have an ASUS NForce and VIA motherboards, but not with a HDTV tuner card. I only used MSI since then.

I don't see how this would be a motherboard issue since I don't have this problem in TE version and with older Catalyst drivers (v8.10 and lower). Something changed in v4 and/or ATI Catalyst drivers.

Since you used several devices, was the one I use one of them? Also, it is not from ASUS. It's from Broadband Technologies, Inc./Technisat. See http://www.bbti.us/products_air2pc_atsc_pci.htm ...

Edited by antdude

Hi,

Sorry, I did not realized you leave in America or country under ATSC broadcast system.

I can bring some knowledge for Européan country only as there is no ATSC here.

Unless you try to make this card work in Europe. In that case, normal to have issue...

Bye

Edited by trifon33
Hi,

Sorry, I did not realized you leave in America or country under ATSC broadcast system.

I can bring some knowledge for Européan country only as there is no ATSC here.

Unless you try to make this card work in Europe. In that case, normal to have issue...

Bye

Are you saying using ATSC DTV cards caused blue screens? If so, then that makes no sense. :) Edited by antdude
Are you saying using ATSC DTV cards caused blue screens? If so, then ttat makes no sense. :)

If ATSC is your broadcast system, I have no idea about what happened as everything is designed for 60Hz NTSC. You did not tell anything about that.

I you live in Europe and try to make ATSC card work, firstly it's useless trying to make it work; secondly it is likely compatiblity issue between ATI PAL driver and DVB card designed for 60Hz NTSC.

In addition, I havec heard ATI US Graphic are different from Européan ones.

Edited by trifon33

This is in the end a Driver problem of ATI. Most likely in concert with the Video decoder and DXVA. You are not the first victim of faulty ATI drivers and most likely not the last. :biggrin:

This is in the end a Driver problem of ATI. Most likely in concert with the Video decoder and DXVA. You are not the first victim of faulty ATI drivers and most likelBuy not the last. :biggrin:
Bummer. So there's no fix except to use older DXA files. How come TE doesn't reproduce these issues?
Bummer. So there's no fix except to use older DXA files. How come TE doesn't reproduce these issues?

I guess we are all loosing time trying to help you as you did not answer the main question.

Please, tell us wheither your broadcast DTV system is US(60HZ NTSC) or European(50Hz PAL).

The DTV card in question can only work in USA or countries using US system with ATI graphic designed for that country.

Thanks

Edited by trifon33
I guess we are all loosing time trying to help you as you did not answer the main question.

Please, tell us wheither your broadcast DTV system is US(60HZ NTSC) or European(50Hz PAL).

The DTV card in question can only work in USA or countries using US system with ATI graphic designed for that country.

Thanks

Oh sorry. US NTSC since I am in USA.
  • 1 year later...

FYI. I guess ATI/AMD finally fixed this problem or something else fixed it. I upgraded my computer hardwares to an Intel i7 950 CPU, EVGA motherboard/mobo., etc, but kept my old softwares, XP Pro. SP3, etc. without reinstalling from scratch. I did uninstall the old Catalyst v9.7 driver and installed v10.12 driver. I haven't been able to reproduce the blue screens so far for a few weeks. I hope it is gone for real! :)