ADR with DVB Viewer

Klausing

Is there a way to hear Astra Digital Radio? There are a lot of stations.

I dont know anything about this stream, but it would be fine if we can hear this. I think this is not a mpeg2 stream.

Or knows anyone a way to hear this with skystar2 ?

cheers

Steffen

Is there a way to hear Astra Digital Radio?

I doubt it, ADR isn't DVB compliant, it's a digital version of the old (PANDA) analogue radio and still uses the same (8?) audio subcarriers that accompany PAL transmissions, you end up with a 192k MPEG1 Layer II stream in each subcarrier. I assume ADR cannot continue when PAL broadcasts are finally put down, but aren't most stations replicated on DVB anyway? ADR seems like a nice hack but I can't see why they didn't just make the jump to DVB.
  • 2 months later...

ADR is a niche product. ADR receivers are dear like hell. I would pay an extra lot to get a software receiver for my DVB adapter. Shouldn't be that difficult, I hope. :rolleyes:

Because they have much more interesting Radio Stations then on Sat/Analog or DVB-S.

And ADR was the reason why I bought the DVB Adapter! Can you believe that? :) in the West of Ireland, where I live now.

Cheers,

Matthy

ADR uses the audio subcarriers of analogue SAT channels. That's why it is not possible to receive ADR channels with a DVB card - it needs a different type of tuner, an analogue one.

Otherwise there would be DVB receivers with that feature built in - but there are none, as far as I know. :rolleyes:

Griga

ADR is a niche product. ADR receivers are dear like hell. I would pay an extra lot to get a software receiver for my DVB adapter. Shouldn't be that difficult, I hope.  :rolleyes:

Because they have much more interesting Radio Stations then on Sat/Analog or DVB-S.

And ADR was the reason why I bought the DVB Adapter! Can you believe that?  :)  in the West of Ireland, where I live now.

Cheers,

Matthy

DVB does what it said on the tin, i.e. DVB transmissions, unless they specifically indicate ADR support I wouldn't be surprised that it's missing. :P

Anyway, Bavarian Radio announced a few days ago that their ADR service will cease at the end of 2004 only leaving DVB transmissions, a lot of stations are already on both and no doubt others switch exclusively to DVB sooner or later. The clock is ticking for ADR now analogue services will inevitably shutdown, however your DVB board is future proof.

Anyone remember DSR? That was an uncompressed digital service that predates ADR.

DSR - Digitales Satelliten Radio

Die älteste digitale Radio-Übertragungstechnik. Für den Empfang wird eine Satellitenschüssel und ein spezieller DSR-Empfänger benötigt. Das Signal ist jedoch nicht datenreduziert, es entspricht etwa dem der CD. Deshalb braucht die Übertragung eine sehr große Bandbreite. DSR wurde im Januar 1999 eingestellt.

ADR - Astra Digital Radio

Radioempfang über den "Astra"-Satellit: derzeit sind über ADR ca. 100 Radio-Programme empfangbar. Für den Empfang wird eine Satellitenschüssel und ein spezieller ADR-Empfänger benötigt. Die Radioübertragung läuft über die Tonunterträger der Astra-TV-Satelliten, ist also ein Nebenprodukt der Fernsehübertragung.

I understand now that it is not possible to receive ADR via a DVB adapter. But I hope these Radio stations will soon be moved to DVB :rolleyes:

-------

Hah, that fits! I just found the following message in a news ticker: http://www.digitv.de/Home/home (I hope, this doesn't get to much off-topic now)

03.02.03, 19:36:33

sunshine live stellt ADR-Verbreitung ein

Deutschlands erster und einziger Technosender sendet künftig nur noch analog und im DVB-Modus über Satellit. mehr ...

(http://www.digitv.de/News/1039517467?mid=n...=n4043633080120)

If you realy want to listen to ADR Radio, search for a Technisat MediaFocus II on EBay, which is an analog SatTV/ADR PCI card, but bear in mind that there is no support for Windows NT/2K/XP