INI Transponder list - S2 tag

divko

I'm using DVBViewer v4.0.0.0.

Bug description

I get the list of latest transponders in INI format from http://www.fastsatfinder.com/transponders.html ( file http://www.fastsatfinder.com/bin/Transponders.zip )

But the problem was that DVBViewer wouldn't recognize S2 transponders as such.

In the FSF Hotbird 13E 0130.ini file:

31=11449,H,27500,23,S2

The above doesn't work.

If I change it to:

31=11449,H,27500,23,5

- then it works.

Solution

Now I have to manually replace ",S2" in those ini files with ",5" in order to get it to work with DVBViewer v4.0.0.0.

Could you please make DVBViewer v4 recognize the original format from FSF? Maybe you could also ship the software with a more recent transponder list than the current July 2007 files?

Edited by divko
I'm using DVBViewer v4.0.0.0.

Bug description

I get the list of latest transponders in INI format from http://www.fastsatfinder.com/transponders.html ( file http://www.fastsatfinder.com/bin/Transponders.zip )

But the problem was that DVBViewer wouldn't recognize S2 transponders as such.

In the FSF Hotbird 13E 0130.ini file:

31=11449,H,27500,23,S2

The above doesn't work.

If I change it to:

31=11449,H,27500,23,5

- then it works.

Solution

Now I have to manually replace ",S2" in those ini files with ",5" in order to get it to work with DVBViewer v4.0.0.0.

Could you please make DVBViewer v4 recognize the original format from FSF? Maybe you could also ship the software with a more recent transponder list than the current July 2007 files?

I have the same problem and I've replaced the S2 with 5 in the ini files and it's working, but i can't see the programs coloured with blue like before in the channel list, so i don't know if they are fta or crypted. I have the ini list from joshyfun

Rather use TransEdit (download from the members area) for

- reading, editing and translating transponder lists from other sources. TransEdit automatically converts the S2 tag to the appropriate DVBViewer value. However, some DVB-S2 cards require additional parameters besides "S2" (e.g. the modulation) that are not included in the joshyfun (or whatever) stuff and must be set manually in TransEdit. That's why DVBViewer uses a different format.

- updating your Hotbird transponder list. The one included in the TransEdit ZIP is up-to-date and contains all necessary parameters. Additionally TransEdit provides means to update transponder lists automatically.

- last not least scanning. :)

Rather use TransEdit (download from the members area)

Yes, but transponders in INI format from http://www.fastsatfinder.com/transponders.html ( file http://www.fastsatfinder.com/bin/Transponders.zip ) work just fine for me. I just paste them in transponders folder. Just please fix the Viewer that ",S2" flag would be recognized. Not so much for me, but for others.

And wouldn't you include a bit newer transponder list than that from '07?

Just please fix the Viewer that ",S2" flag would be recognized.

AFAIK it has already been added in DVBViewer Pro Beta 4.0.1.25. However, as already stated above, it doesn't guarantee that the transponder can be received in DVBViewer. It depends on the device.

• 2 weeks later...

TransEdit 3.3.0.0 here. Noticed one more thing - when scanning transponders with NIT enabled on Eurobird 9A it seems that it doesn't recognize DVB-S2 transponders. What it actually does is removes checkbox from S2 transponders. I don't know is that a bug or the NIT is wrong.

..at least it would be a contradiction cos 8psk can't be dvb-s :D I'm quite sure that this a dvb-s2 transponder (last scanned 16-02-09). Better uncheck NIT search :)

..at least it would be a contradiction cos 8psk can't be dvb-s :D I'm quite sure that this a dvb-s2 transponder (last scanned 16-02-09). Better uncheck NIT search :)

Yes unchecked... now going manually fixing entries :D As for modulation, according to wikipedia - DVB-S (SHF) uses QPSK, 8PSK or 16-QAM.

As for modulation, according to wikipedia - DVB-S (SHF) uses QPSK, 8PSK or 16-QAM.

I don't think so :)

EN 300 421:

4.5 Baseband shaping and modulation
The System shall employ conventional Gray-coded QPSK modulation with absolute mapping (no differential coding).

btw. NIT search can be useful to see whether there are changes. But afterwards the result should always be checked. Maybe a scanning engine shouldn't change an important modulation parameter after performing a successful scan with the existing settings.

According to ETSI EN 300 468 8PSK is one of the possible values for the modulation_type field in the satellite delivery system descriptor and not restricted to a specific modulation_system (S/S2), in contrast to 16QAM (n/a for DVB-S2).

..regardless of the satellite delivery system descriptor according to EN 300 468, DVB-S is restricted to QPSK (EN-300 421). There are indeed systems using other modulation schemes that are not DVB-S2 but they are not DVB-S either. I doubt, that any of our users have the appropriate receiving equipment provided that a corresponding transmission can be found :)

DVB-S (EN 300 421 [2]) was introduced as a standard in 1994 and DVB-DSNG (EN 301 210 [3]) in 1997. The DVB-S
standard specifies QPSK modulation and concatenated convolutional and Reed-Solomon channel coding, and is now
used by most satellite operators worldwide for television and data broadcasting services. DVB-DSNG specifies, in
addition to DVB-S format, the use of 8PSK and 16QAM modulation for satellite news gathering and contribution
services.

from EN 302 307 (DVB-S2)

Maybe a scanning engine shouldn't change an important modulation parameter after performing a successful scan with the existing settings.

Well this part sounds the best solution - don't break what's working.