Streaming problems

Scewbedew

...and what about the DVBViewer filter's buffer?

Have you tryed to increase the "Max queued Audio" buffer of client's DVBSource filter? (View / Filters / DVBSource)

Or the client "DVB Unicast Buffers"? (Settings / Options / Hardware / Unicast Network Device / Buffers)

Or, on the server side, the DVB Service/DVBServer buffers? (there are two values...)

In my installation with some channels (particularly some terrestrial), changing this values make a great difference in the "Graph to late" errors; that work also in a local (non LAN) situation: setting "Max queued audio" over 2000 make my old and slow PC (PIII 933MHZ) completely error free on all terrestial USB channels...

-_-

...and what about the DVBViewer filter's buffer?

Have you tryed to increase the "Max queued Audio" buffer of client's DVBSource filter? (View / Filters / DVBSource)

Or the client "DVB Unicast Buffers"? (Settings / Options / Hardware / Unicast Network Device / Buffers)

Or, on the server side, the DVB Service/DVBServer buffers? (there are two values...)

Man! That did it ! :bye:

Before reinstalling the systems I tested many buffer settings, trying both minimal and maximal buffers on both client and server. After the reinstall both system run with default settings, and I didn't notice any significant difference to the tests prior to the reinstall.

But I hadn't noticed the "Max queued Audio" setting in the DVB Source properties and hence never tried changing it. (...or rather...I did notice it, but since it were the image that went black I couldn't imagine that audio buffering would be a part of it).

When I increase the queued audio setting to 1500ms, I get a close-to-perfect result even with the bad channels. It's still not completely perfect (some black screens every 10 minutes or so) so I probably need to add even more to get a fully stable reception.

So. problem solved and I can finally see all my channels error free (or close to) over WiFi :tongue:

Even on the LAN client I had to raise the queue to over 1000ms to get a nearly error free reception. It seems a bit odd though, that two pretty powerful computers, idling on about 2-3% CPU load and connected with a 1Gbps LAN requires over 1 second of audio buffers to run without interruption...

One final mystery that might hold some clue to the root of the problem: When running the LAN client with a setting of 1000ms, even the worst channel works OK during normal programs. During commercial breaks however, the "Graph too late" errors starts to count again. During a regular commercial break (3 minutes?), I get about 50 "Graph too late" errors. When the program resumes, no more errors occur. I don't know if it is the compression that they often use to make commercials sound louder that plays a role in this, or if it's simply DVB Server that dislikes commercials... B)

Anyhow - with 1,5-2 seconds of audio buffers I think I'll be pretty safe.